Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

18 hours ago, twin6 said:

Lots to look at here, including the Pennsylvania Vacuum Cup tires.

pvc.jpg

Notice the spare is on the style of clincher rim that is in two interlocking halves. You twist the rim to unlock the tabs and seperate the two halves. An interesting design that didn't seem to get much market share. I seem to recall they were made by Continental , the European tire company, but I may be mistaken.

• Like 1

Posted by Keith Raedel on a facebook page. His grandmother washing her dad's car.

I can't pick the make but it has full floating rear axles and looks to have a gap in the hood louvres. 

Other features - the paired pads on the top rail of the body, the three piece rear window, and the carrier bracket for the top when folded.

May be an image of standing, car and outdoors

Pierce Arrow in a sales piece from Brunn of Buffalo, NY. coach builder from 1924.

Brunn's description notes it is a Special six passenger Landaulet body. that means the portion of the roof just aft of the rear door could be folded down for fair weather motoring and the occupants could be seen by all on the street as they passed by. Photo taken in Buffalo, NY.

The car was mounted on a 48 horsepower chassis and was built for A.H. Schoellkopf of Buffalo.  Note the car has wire wheels and front bumper and pair of rear mounted spare tires. Also note the spare tires, one has a heavy tread the other the smoother tread. Heavier tread was used on the rear tires for more traction, smoother ones on the front. Another thing about cars in this era that had to be taken into consideration that is little thought about or mentioned today.

Since the Pierce Arrow Society had its annual affair in California last week I thought this would be appropriate . Maybe even a special treat for Ed and George( Grimy) two of my good friends.

Walt

PIERCEARROW1924Brunn.jpg

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Walt G said:

Pierce Arrow in a sales piece from Brunn of Buffalo, NY. coach builder from 1924.

Brunn's description notes it is a Special six passenger Landaulet body. that means the portion of the roof just aft of the rear door could be folded down for fair weather motoring and the occupants could be seen by all on the street as they passed by. Photo taken in Buffalo, NY.

The car was mounted on a 48 horsepower chassis and was built for A.H. Schoellkopf of Buffalo.  Note the car has wire wheels and front bumper and pair of rear mounted spare tires. Also note the spare tires, one has a heavy tread the other the smoother tread. Heavier tread was used on the rear tires for more traction, smoother ones on the front. Another thing about cars in this era that had to be taken into consideration that is little thought about or mentioned today.

Since the Pierce Arrow Society had its annual affair in California last week I thought this would be appropriate . Maybe even a special treat for Ed and George( Grimy) two of my good friends.

Walt

PIERCEARROW1924Brunn.jpg

Thanks, Walt, but a 1924 model would be a Series 33 with a 415 cid dual valve six with a single cast iron block casting mounted on an aluminum crankcase, vs the Series 48's 525 cid 6-cyl engine, last used in the 1919-20 Series 51 with cylinder jugs cast in pairs and mounted on an aluminum crankcase.

Many find the Series 33 4-passenger touring the most attractive body style of that era, and four of the six known extant were at our Buellton CA meet last week.

• Like 1

I took my information from the caption under the photograph of the car that Brunn printed in the catalog. My "guess" is that they showed a photo of a car that they had built but not necessarily current to when the sales catalog was printed.. They also show in the same catalog another  6 passenger  landaulet" that looks more like an open front town car. posed in the same location and it too is noted as being mounted on a 48 horsepower chassis.

I date the catalog from a letter in there that was reprinted dated December 11, 1923 and was from aviator pioneer Glenn H. Curtiss about a Cadillac town car they built for him.

The 48 chassis was 142" wb and 1918-20 used 35x5 tires.  The Series 32 (1921), Series 33 (1922-mid-1926) were on 138" wb and until balloon tires were fitted mid-1924 also used 35x5 tires.  From the scale of the whole car, I think it's Series 33 but could be the problematical Series 32 that PAMCC wanted to forget about (economies forced on the company by NYC bankers, quickly reversed for 1922 after those "economies" cost a LOT of money to correct).

George, this is all most interesting and educational to those of us who aren't astute as to what P-A had on offer nor the specifications. It is why I feel so good about this thread and the interest here after 2+ years seems not to falter. It makes all of us think and in doing so remember and appreciate what was done a century + ago.

Some reading may think - this is just obscure information about odd cars BUT I love that. It is all stuff that you are not going to find on line in an encyclopedia - you have to come here to the AACA Forums the greatest resource for all vehicles that are very accurate ( if not some one will provide the correct information or observation!)

It also proves how AACA is a leading resource of history , which sometimes needs to be reinforced to the state, national, etc historic commissions, departments, and other grand potentates of the realm.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Walt G said:

Walt

PIERCEARROW1924Brunn.jpg

Brunn photographed many of their custom-bodied cars in front of Albright-Know Art Gallery in Delaware Park not far from their 980 Ellicott Street offices and factory. 

Albight-Knox Art Galley - Buffalo, NY.jpg

• Like 5

That looks like it is the Flat Iron Building in the rear of the photo. One of my favorite buildings and areas of Manhattan - New York City

The great Strand book store is just a few blocks south of here ( you are looking south in the photo) . And Gramercy Park Typewriter service is not far away ( they restore manual typewriters - do a lot of work for actor Tom Hanks)

• Like 2

Ed:

Any identification of the European coachbuilder?  Very Teutonic in design ethic.   Does the coachbuilder plate give any clue? Definitely a 1934 Nash Ambassador Eight Series 1290, either a 133" or 142" wheelbase.

Steve 

'34 Nash Ambassador 1290 cabriolet by European coachbuilder.png

'34 Nash Ambassador 1290 cabriolet by European coachbuilder -crop.jpg

• Like 1