Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

18 hours ago, edinmass said:

s-l1600-20.jpg.356219747a13f1432aa2b6bab3dbb680.jpg

ED, thanks for taking the time to post all of these wonderful photographs ! WOW, you have just posted more here then I have contributed in total to this thread- maybe!

But the question is ( from me and some of your buddies here on the east coast and the west coast ) IS THAT YOU in the lederhosen next to the Auburn?  And is that required attire now if you attend a CCCA event ( I'm no longer a member so there may be new rules for that elite group ) or perhaps for a PAS event?

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, alsancle said:

I love this and I’ve never seen one in person. I wonder if any exist?

If I am not mistaken the answer is no.

The fleet of a small local carrier just pre WW2. Any idea on the truck third from left?

rem ch BOB fleet.jpg

The building is still there - though no longer a wool and grain store. Unusual for Christchurch where about 80% of the city's buildings had to be demolished after the February 2011 earthquake.

On the left in the old photo where advertising hoardings can be seen there is now a bridge over the railway - built about 1960.

There is an overbridge on the street, Moorhouse Avenue, now - built in 1965 - which makes getting a good angle impossible.

Web capture_17-12-2021_134422_www.google.com.jpeg

• Like 2

On 12/16/2021 at 3:25 PM, nzcarnerd said:

Midland, a make new to me although there is an article in The Standard Catalog. Seems the make died due to 'mis-management' - perhaps a too polite description?

This one might be from 1913. 

20s autos from Pete Wood fb HCCA c 13 Midland.jpg

That's a great photo! Running board mounted Prest - o - lite tanks were reasonably common in this era, but this is the first time I have seen a exposed tool mount.  On the running board just ahead of the tank. It looks like a brace style wrench for the lug nuts and what is probably a jack just inboard of the wrench.  

• Like 3

I have this tool box for my Staver project if I ever get as far as fenders and running boards. I am not sure if it was intended for use as a battery box or tool box. Could be either late Staver car or de luxe buggy. Electric lights were an option on both. It does not show up in my 1912 parts book. The electric stuff was an option in 1914 and up. The cars stopped in 1914 but I think buggy's were available for a year or two after that. In full road trim I am planning something very similar to this Midland. I think my wheelbase is a bit longer but otherwise a very similar car.

DSC_0380 (2).JPG

DSC_0381 (2).JPG

• Like 5

1 hour ago, 1912Staver said:

I have this tool box for my Staver project if I ever get as far as fenders and running boards. I am not sure if it was intended for use as a battery box or tool box. Could be either late Staver car or de luxe buggy. Electric lights were an option on both. It does not show up in my 1912 parts book. The electric stuff was an option in 1914 and up. The cars stopped in 1914 but I think buggy's were available for a year or two after that. In full road trim I am planning something very similar to this Midland. I think my wheelbase is a bit longer but otherwise a very similar car.

DSC_0380 (2).JPG

DSC_0381 (2).JPG

I think the battery boxes had slots at the top of the lower section for cables. On this CarterCar you might be able to see the cables coming out of the rear of the box and going through the splash apron.

Picture 9129.jpg

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

15 minutes ago, keiser31 said:

I have this tool box for my Staver project if I ever get as far as fenders and running boards. I am not sure if it was intended for use as a battery box or tool box. Could be either late Staver car or de luxe buggy. Electric lights were an option on both. It does not show up in my 1912 parts book. The electric stuff was an option in 1914 and up.

15 minutes ago, keiser31 said:

I think the battery boxes had slots at the top of the lower section for cables. On this CarterCar you might be able to see the cables coming out of the rear of the box and going through the splash apron.

There wouldn't need to be any big cables if the batteries were dry cells to hotshot a magneto for easier starting. That was pretty common before electric starter-generators. Smaller wires would do. It could easily be older than 1914 and still be a battery box.

• Like 2

Staver made a very automobile like buggy close to the end of production which featured electric lights. So I think there would have been a battery box of this sort fitted. They would have been wet cell  of some type . And no need or anything but small gauge wires so the small holes as are in this box would have been all that were necessary. The reason I say wet cell is that dry cell's are fine for a momentary starting { coil ignition , not a starter motor  }  use , but they would run down quite quickly if they were used for lighting. 

In any event I am going to use it as a tool box.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jukejunkie1015 said:

My hometowns' service station before I was around.

I love to look at the structures, signs, lamp posts etc in the back grounds. The second photo is just outstanding with that apartment house. The sign out front, fire escapes, masonry construction........no aluminum, everything done in wood that was painted. I am sure the signs at that era were all done with sockets and light bulbs too.

• Like 1

A couple of interesting ones from facebook.

Same barn in the background  - around 100 years apart.

Apparently a copy of the early one is in the Owl's Head museum. I see this version was 'borrowed' from The Old Motor.

The poster of the modern photo says the woman in the old photo was the great aunt of a friend of his.

269714503_929418931269836_3482198729315491684_n.jpg

269715922_10221235683303257_1654149798853810447_n.jpg

• Like 4

On 11/29/2021 at 10:57 AM, 1937hd45 said:

Is that ANZANI in raised letters on the crankcase? If so is it an aircraft engine, or part of one? Bob 

1.jpg

Anzani 01.jpg

Looking back a few pages I realised I didn't answer your question. As far as I know Anzani built engines for general automotive use as well.

Anzani - Wikipedia

Mentioned there is a British arm of the organisation. I know someone who has an old British Anzani marine outboard engine. As he says he would never trust it enough to put in on a boat.

Quite a few Morgan cars had Anzani engines.

British Anzani Engine Co - Graces Guide

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nzcarnerd said:

Looking back a few pages I realised I didn't answer your question. As far as I know Anzani built engines for general automotive use as well.

Anzani - Wikipedia

Mentioned there is a British arm of the organisation. I know someone who has an old British Anzani marine outboard engine. As he says he would never trust it enough to put in on a boat.

Quite a few Morgan cars had Anzani engines.

British Anzani Engine Co - Graces Guide

1925 Julian.

1925_Julian_2.jpg