Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

Not sure if this photo came around already, but it is interesting.  There appears to be a V-8 or V-12 engine, and weight hanging from the rear of the wagon to counter-act the weight of the engine.  Is this a World War One Packard or Duesenberg aircraft engine under test?

18b4293022c7b39329ce090b3bf0bc50.jpg

1 hour ago, LCK81403 said:

Not sure if this photo came around already, but it is interesting.  There appears to be a V-8 or V-12 engine, and weight hanging from the rear of the wagon to counter-act the weight of the engine.  Is this a World War One Packard or Duesenberg aircraft engine under test?

18b4293022c7b39329ce090b3bf0bc50.jpg

Hispano-Suiza/Wolseley Viper WW1 era V8 aero engine I think.

That Dodge film is AWSOME!  I have a couple of thoughts..

"Who needs a cummins and 4wd?"

"Take that all you jeep guys!"

I got a kick on the roll over, I suppose I would have tried a quarter turn upright and tried pulling it uphill. No, they let gravity help them out doing a full 360. Didnt look like it was any worse for the wear either.

16 hours ago, Walt G said:

Is that Packard touring photo taken before or after the grand tour/drive that takes place. Looking at the oval door handles I am guessing it is a 7 passenger? Is that official concours dust? Show available only special souvenir head gear, or are they only worn by judges? They are all smiling so perhaps have been to one of the refreshment stands for a whiff of adult beverage. POSH indeed very very POSH.

1928 six (533), seven passenger touring.  I love the car's condition - clearly this car got used - and the smiles. 

• Like 1

Advertised as "Your Vacation home" made by Gilkison Sons Co. in Terre Haute, Indiana . The perfect period accessory to drag, er tow along behind your classic pre war car. Just what you need for accommodations at all the hi end concours . Brag to your friends at "Pebble" how you are staying on site !! The perfect Hershey host space ! Fill it with chocolate to bring home !!  Take your Gilkie Camp Trailer to Gilmore and become a star!

CampTrailer1933001.jpg

CampTrailer1933TWO.jpg

CampTrailer1933THREE002.jpg

Edited by Walt G
correct spelling (see edit history)
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Walt G said:

Advertised as "Your Vacation home" made by Gilkison Sons Co. in Terre Haute, Indiana . The perfect period accessory to drag, er tow along behind your classic pre war car. Just what you need for accommodations at all the hi end concours . Brag to your friends at "Pebble" how you are staying on site !! The perfect Hershey host space ! Fill it with chocolate to bring home !!  Take your Gilkie Camp Trailer to Gilmore and become a star!

CampTrailer1933001.jpg

CampTrailer1933TWO.jpg

CampTrailer1933THREE002.jpg

Glamping at its finest.

Craig

• Like 2

Special Day here for me today as it marks exactly a year since I started this thread on period Images. I have always been one to want to share what I knew or what I had in my collection, it is the teacher in me, but as a kid I liked to see friends happy as well. I never thought this thread would last more then a few months. I had some friends I knew that would jump in and post some cool photographs from their collections, from both sides of the pond known as the Atlantic Ocean. It is so good to know that what has been shown here has made a few people have some moments of relief from all the health concerns that we have had to cope with. I was gratified and choke up when I read that some of you look at this every day for a needed break from what we have to deal with . Thanks so much to all of you who have contributed, to AACA for putting up with all of this.

We are now on the brink of 300 pages, and so many replies and over a quarter million views - HUH? Really!

Many of you I never knew or heard of before this pandemic and this thread started, I now consider you good friends even though we have not met in person, THANK YOU for your efforts , just so many good people . Keep well all , thanks for stopping by and sharing the history. Keep in mind it is AACA who is the host , never forget that.

With my greatest respect,

Walt

1937PackardtROLLSTON phaeton super8model1501010.jpg

BodyTypes(2 )DUAL COWL PHAETON-1916Locomobilephaetonmodel48003.jpg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, Walt G said:

Special Day here for me today as it marks exactly a year since I started this thread on period Images. I have always been one to want to share what I knew or what I had in my collection, it is the teacher in me, but as a kid I liked to see friends happy as well. I never thought this thread would last more then a few months. I had some friends I knew that would jump in and post some cool photographs from their collections, from both sides of the pond known as the Atlantic Ocean. It is so good to know that what has been shown here has made a few people have some moments of relief from all the health concerns that we have had to cope with. I was gratified and choke up when I read that some of you look at this every day for a needed break from what we have to deal with . Thanks so much to all of you who have contributed, to AACA for putting up with all of this.

We are now on the brink of 300 pages, and so many replies and over a quarter million views - HUH? Really!

Many of you I never knew or heard of before this pandemic and this thread started, I now consider you good friends even though we have not met in person, THANK YOU for your efforts , just so many good people . Keep well all , thanks for stopping by and sharing the history. Keep in mind it is AACA who is the host , never forget that.

With my greatest respect,

Walt

1937PackardtROLLSTON phaeton super8model1501010.jpg

BodyTypes(2 )DUAL COWL PHAETON-1916Locomobilephaetonmodel48003.jpg

Thanks Walt, very much!!!!! .............Jim

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, jrbartlett said:

The light-colored car immediately above Jim's message is a Model 48 Locomobile, likely a Farhnam and Nelson body equipped with a cape top. Several survive. 

Here's one that's been wonderfully restored by a fine gentleman in Western New York, rendered in black and white to be consistent with the pre-war theme:

'17 Locomobile dual cowl - McAlpin - B & W.jpg

• Like 3

By golly, Twin6, that is an interesting photo.  After studying the photo I am guessing that the driver is refilling an oil tank.  Attached to the left side of the driver's seat is what appears to be an air pump, said air pump probably attached to the small diameter hose that is attached to the filler cap on the top of probably fuel tank number 19.  In old journals I read about air pumps used to supply pressurized air to fuel tanks for purpose of forcing fuel to the carburetor.  Plus I have read about the large amounts of lubricating oil carried on early cars, hence the apparent reason for such a large oil tank.

19.thumb.jpg.9ba966da8143f522f9491d50a04753d6.jpg

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, LCK81403 said:

By golly, Twin6, that is an interesting photo.  After studying the photo I am guessing that the driver is refilling an oil tank.  Attached to the left side of the driver's seat is what appears to be an air pump, said air pump probably attached to the small diameter hose that is attached to the filler cap on the top of probably fuel tank number 19.  In old journals I read about air pumps used to supply pressurized air to fuel tanks for purpose of forcing fuel to the carburetor.  Plus I have read about the large amounts of lubricating oil carried on early cars, hence the apparent reason for such a large oil tank.

19.thumb.jpg.9ba966da8143f522f9491d50a04753d6.jpg

Totally correct on that comment and points you made. I had all of this explained to me by Austin Clark early on - over 50 years ago. Note the hand pump is on the passenger side of the seats. This was so the "riding mechanic" would perform that task while going down the road because the driver was to busy, steering, shifting and controlling the spark and throttle. I had the job of using /working that pump to pressurize the gas tank to send fuel to the carburetor on Austin's type 35 Mercer many times on trips we used that car for . We took his car out to lunch but of course had to get it "warmed up " not just get in and drive a mile or more and then shut it off.  Usually a 3 to 5 mile exercise before settling down for some good food and refreshments.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Walt G said:

Totally correct on that comment and points you made. I had all of this explained to me by Austin Clark early on - over 50 years ago. Note the hand pump is on the passenger side of the seats. This was so the "riding mechanic" would perform that task while going down the road because the driver was to busy, steering, shifting and controlling the spark and throttle. I had the job of using /working that pump to pressurize the gas tank to send fuel to the carburetor on Austin's type 35 Mercer many times on trips we used that car for . We took his car out to lunch but of course had to get it "warmed up " not just get in and drive a mile or more and then shut it off.  Usually a 3 to 5 mile exercise before settling down for some good food and refreshments.

I think much of that oil carried simply fell out of the what passed for seals in early engines, although they did consume quite a lot as well. 

Did Austin's Mercer leave puddles when it was parked or had it been 'sealed up'?

I had a discussion on the subject with my son just a few days ago.  Nowadays we expect our normal daily driver cars to not use any oil at all, but it is not that long ago that it was expected that engines would use at least 'some'. His current transport is an early 1990s Toyota Trueno, a sporty coupe based on the Corolla chassis of the day. It has the 20 valve 1600 cc 4A-GE engine which makes peak power (155hp) at 7,400 rpm. It has done over 200,000 miles and is still strong but does need to have its oil level checked frequently.

Hard to recall exactly but I do not recall puddles under Austin's Mercer, perhaps a few drip spots but that would be/could be  common on many pre war cars even up into the 1930s.

To many stories, to many memories of "adventures " with good friends, all whom I only met and got to know well because of our common interest in old cars.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Walt, you have provided thru AACA a wonderful diversion from all that has gone wrong this last year. Not only do I check this thread daily I do it several times a day, it is that interesting. Seeing cars I had heard about but never seen is a special treat. Seeing cars I never heard of is awesome. Here’s to another 300 pages at least. We appreciate all the input from all the contributors but you especially for starting this one. 
dave s 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1