Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

Yes, not perfect but consider the advancements embodied in this Jordan Speedway Z Sportman sedan"

1) The 3-Box sedan configuration wherein the lower body with integrated trunk is treated as a solid mass, the greenhouse setting on top of it, the future dominant sedan configuration that would finally come to production in the 1938 Cadillac 60 Special.

2) The over-the-cowl, full-length hood, before those by LeBaron et al.

3) The dropped lower sill without breaks defining a separate frame cover.

4) The front fender valances brought closer to the front bumper.

5) The long horizontal hood doors, although already seen elsewhere, but emphasizing the streamlined appearance.

6) The raked windshield angle and lack of visor.

7) Although novel, the free-standing airfoil running boards.

😎 The clean, lack of hood ornament.

• Like 1

Great photo of the car.  But what is with that service motorcycle?  There are two rubber tires mounted on steel rims, fixed to the rear end of the motorcycle.  Those two wheels can not be used on the car nor the motorcycle, hence what are they for?

32 Oldsmobile 002.jpg

Service cycle.jpg

1 hour ago, E-116-YH said:

Hello Captain Harley,

I believe it is a 1932 Oldsmobile like the attached images.

57f31e9f64192_32_oldsroofsnaps_f32_15.jpg.d81e20b9b74abe896c3c2cc1d1d5b670.jpg

104984787_10158824098207189_5392087785420498198_n.jpg

E-116-YH,

Thanks you and I would say you are correct.  I knew it was a GM product just not sure which one.  It most be the same car (and babe...or should I say Doll...) in the two original pictures.  I'm thing about making the black & white pic the screen saver on my PC.  I love staring at the picture and trying to decide which one I like best.  The car or the girl!  Vavavooom..........

Capt.Harley😉

6 minutes ago, LCK81403 said:

Great photo of the car.  But what is with that service motorcycle?  There are two rubber tires mounted on steel rims, fixed to the rear end of the motorcycle.  Those two wheels can not be used on the car nor the motorcycle, hence what are they for?

32 Oldsmobile 002.jpg

Service cycle.jpg

The dealership would deliver the car back to the owner. Hook the motorcycle to the back bumper (see hitch on the front of M.C.). Attach or flop down the 2 training wheels on the M.C. so when towed it would stand straight up. Drop off the car, unhitch the M.C. from the rear bumper of the car, flip up the training wheels and back to the dealership on the M.C.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, LCK81403 said:

Early collision safety test.  Vehicle type unidentified.  Surely are a lot of engineers observing this test.

19894757_639509656255512_5884550987273498372_n.jpg

It would be most convenient to have this rig at Hershey , a perfect way to get a good view of the entire flea market field and while in flight make notes in the great program/directory of vendors as to what parts and pieces are where you want to return to see - that is if you survive the landing and impact , not sure if you would bounce upon hitting the ground and if so how many times. 😬

Here’s a couple of photos from one of our old family albums. The first is dated 1926. I think that it is a REO Model T-6. It may be a 1926 model, but I really don’t know how to tell the year of the vehicle.    The second photo might be a 1937 Plymouth (first year with a vent window). I really like the side profile of this one. Neither one of these are high-end classics, but they would surely be typical of what you would have seen on the road back “in the day”.

Bob

37AF5914-F984-4159-B892-7D28309F3A02.jpeg

E1FB312E-9EF0-45FF-88FA-F3B5F3CB34D8.jpeg

• Like 3

Bob, the '37 Plymouth photo is interesting.  It appears to have a longer rear section when compared with the attached photo of a '37 Plymouth coupe.  The longer rear section probably provides room for the rumble seat.  On the car in your old photo there appears to be a step plate on the rear fender to facilitate climbing access to the rumble seat.  On the top of the trunk lid there appears to be a handle for the rumble seat door, said door opening to the rear.  The rumble seat in various car makes continued into the mid- and later-1930s, although their popularity waned.  Hudson and Hupmobile were several car makes that continued to produce rumble seat variants.  Attached is a photo of a 1937 maroon color Hupmobile that fairly approximates your '37 Plymouth.

37 Plymouth.jpg

37 Plymouth Coupe 03-12.jpg

37 Hupmobile 618 01-01.jpg

• Like 4

Ah so.  Thanks for enlightening me about the service motorcycle.  I guess I missed the memo about that.  And now, seeing the cycle attached to the car, I see where the idea for the modern biker's "trike" originated.

IMG_15796432929913.thumb.jpg.db42405354597c9946d899fa2f48abe8.jpg

56 minutes ago, edinmass said:

Here is a strange one......1929. Interesting radio antenna.

1568727B-A9FA-44EC-8F95-C83803C268AC.png

Ed: When was this 1929 Packard Speedster Eight photographed?  That top modernization wasn't an improvement. 

Rather like those narrow stripe whitewall, too bad they didn't catch on/ 

21 minutes ago, 58L-Y8 said:

Ed: When was this 1929 Packard Speedster Eight photographed?  That top modernization wasn't an improvement. 

Rather like those narrow stripe whitewall, too bad they didn't catch on/ 

Here is what I have on it.

F84D831E-4384-4E55-8505-DEAA5DCA5D6C.png

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, 58L-Y8 said:

These faux Rolls-Royce-restyled cars always make me laugh.  A Marmon 34 wasn't prestigious enough in and of itself.  Is that a coupe by Hume?

New Heaven Carriage Company..........built all in house.......

• Like 1

2 hours ago, edinmass said:

The Pierce Arrow Silver Arrow. 

Yes, I have photos of the Pierce at the fair........they are unpublished.

2A364B27-3181-43AC-BF1B-AA855C93174B.png

The World Fair car is currently located in a Chicago collection. It is pretty impressive to see it in person. Did it originally have Blackwall tires on it? Was the twenty grand displayed at the same show also? If so it would be a hard choice between the Caddy, Packard, Pierce and Duesy... I guess I would have to have the chauffeur choose the car at that point!

11 hours ago, Tph479 said:

The year is 1933 and you are visiting the World Fair in Chicago. Which car would you be looking to put the down payment on??.

71ACB82B-7939-4438-AF37-C9E30FADB75B.jpeg

D9E1D045-C8A4-4FF7-BEB0-83ADC9922BB9.jpeg

The  33 Cadillac.  Only one built.  The rest were 34-36. I believe three Packards were built (and at least three, if not six, silver arrows). 

13 hours ago, LCK81403 said:

Ah so.  Thanks for enlightening me about the service motorcycle.  I guess I missed the memo about that.  And now, seeing the cycle attached to the car, I see where the idea for the modern biker's "trike" originated.

IMG_15796432929913.thumb.jpg.db42405354597c9946d899fa2f48abe8.jpg

I can't read what it says on the motorcycle but I know that the Packard dealer in the Jamaica, NY area had one of these and many years ago I saw a similar photo and it was taken in Forrest Hills, NY on long island that is part of Queens Country one of the five boroughs of New York City. There was a huge network of Packard dealers in the New York City and western long island area, and a list and map of their locations was issued by PMCC of NY ( Packard Motor Car Company of NY) several times pre WWII that I have here in my archives.

• Like 1