Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

On 9/16/2020 at 9:50 PM, LCK81403 said:

Edinmass, back on what is now page 2 of this compressed thread, you posted a photo without comment, without identification.  Several type identifications have been associated with the vehicle.  One is Mercedes-Benz W31 G34, a second designation a 1939 Mercedes-Benz G34.  Is there a more definite identification or vehicle designation for this historical vehicle?

6EE90FA5-488C-415D-9AC9-770BEC1D1946.thumb.png.7759caa28601e00895b17f6fad9a5cbc.png

Mercedes-Benz W31 G34.jpg

Mercedes-Benz 006.jpg

I hate myself for appreciating Nazi staff cars.

thanks Ed, great stuff! I really like the 4 horsepower Pierce -Arrow at Yellowstone, Am I correct to assume the fellow sitting up on the top with the pea shooter is there to keep any stray Arrows away from the coach work so they don't Pierce the surface?

Edited by Walt G
typo (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, edinmass said:

John, does you top boot look exactly like this one?

74165062-7529-4F26-A80A-D217FA32E4F5.png

Yes, the top boot looks exactly like this one  (fits 1934, 1935, and 1936) - I would like to find an original and then make few so other people have them (though not sure other people will like end price as it was $390.00 in fabric alone) or at least get everyone in a better spot (I have paper patterns from a deconstructed one that Curt took apart and have a collection of photos from one of the few surviving originals). 

16 hours ago, edinmass said:

John....pay attention!

FBC0BDD0-15F3-4656-A3D4-1DD4AD945017.png

9363BB34-CE11-4DA9-BD22-D4DD17EBD290.png

Not particularly more valuable due to rarity or desirability, but these 2 door Broughams in 851 and 852 cars are as rare as hens teeth - they were all scrapped out early in the game as the cheapest proposition for a parts car for an open/convertible 851/852 Auburn. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, 58L-Y8 said:

Do we have any idea who the coachbuilder was of this Rolls-Royce Silver Ghost Cape Top Sport Phaeton?  Its pretty wild for that timeframe, note the upswept cowl, descending belt-line, low three-piece windshield and shape of the rear door opening.

'20's R-R Silver Ghost cape top sport phaeton.png

Brewster....photo was labeled.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, edinmass said:

Pretty wild for Brewster,   Did young Tom Hibbard and Ray Dietrich slip a few of their designs into the selection that Willy Brewster didn't notice...  Maybe this was what got them fired so they decided to start their own automotive architecture endeavor...

Hubbard was there sometime between Rubay in Cleveland, and leaving in 1921 to open LeBaron .....couldn’t have been very long. The Rollston boys also got the boot. Small world in NYC during the post war depression. (WW1) Everyone knew all the other players.

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, edinmass said:

Notice the Skiff influences with the cowl vents, split windshield, and the crazy rear door. Not your off the shelf design. Very unique and unusual for that firm. Have money? Yes, we can build it!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

OK, tonight's offering's: the Duesenberg sedan photograph was taken in Baltimore, Md. and the snapshot I scanned this from has to have been taken in the early 1950s at the latest

The Hispano Suiza conv coupe has a 1949 NY license plate on it and was at one time owned by writer Keith Marvin. The Pierce Arrow sedan has a 1949 California plate on it and it is noted on the back in pencil the name George Riggs and that it was a 1933 seven passenger sedan and model was 1236- does that mean it is a 12 cylinder?

I really have way to much stuff.....................but it is fun🤨 I hope everyone looking at these continue to have some relief of the stress. This thread is now over 6 months old  and I am sure I have all the moderators a bit frazzled , sincere thanks to all.

Walt

DuesenbergJBaltimore001.jpg

HispanoSuizaconvKM001.jpg

PierceArrow19331949001.jpg

PierceArrow19331949TWO002.jpg

• Like 4

The Pierce is a V-12 on the short chassis. I believe it may have been sold to a friend on mine, now gone, in the San Diego area.......I don’t have my notes available. It could also belong to a friend up in the LA area. Not too common of a car, and with a bit of effort we can track it down.

41 minutes ago, Walt G said:

OK, tonight's offering's: the Duesenberg sedan photograph was taken in Baltimore, Md. and the snapshot I scanned this from has to have been taken in the early 1950s at the latest

The Hispano Suiza conv coupe has a 1949 NY license plate on it and was at one time owned by writer Keith Marvin. The Pierce Arrow sedan has a 1949 California plate on it and it is noted on the back in pencil the name George Riggs and that it was a 1933 seven passenger sedan and model was 1236- does that mean it is a 12 cylinder?

I really have way to much stuff.....................but it is fun🤨 I hope everyone looking at these continue to have some relief of the stress. This thread is now over 6 months old  and I am sure I have all the moderators a bit frazzled , sincere thanks to all.

Walt

DuesenbergJBaltimore001.jpg

nice.  Derham Arlington?