Anyone Recognize This

AJFord54

Cemetery basement, the only thing I know of that's below ground in a cemetery is coffins. Wow, how macabre! Perhaps a tool for picking up something. Dead animals, etc? 

17 minutes ago, 1937hd45 said:

Probable held a bag for a carpet sweeper, was there a crematorium  down in the basement? 

Bob 

I tend to agree on the carpet sweeper concept. Maybe there was once wood attached.

Its pure blithering speculation on my part, but the limited distance that the spring mechanism allows for makes me wonder if part of it wasn't meant to hold something taut -- perhaps like fabric, or a bag of some sort. There's an antique tool site, if I recall right. Those guys are master speculators.

• Like 1

Cemeteries have basements??!!  :o

Anyway, I'd guess carpet sweeper/dust pan.  This one is a little fancier than most, with wheels and spring-loaded lid.  I'd guess it once had fabric or tin over the wire frame to hold the sweepings.  Here's a similar but less complex example.  I've seen them as advertising novelties with the name of a business on them, including funeral homes - may be the cemetery connection:

antique-1909-tin-iron-standing-dust_1_80

Maybe you can adapt it to a car 😉:

an-automatic-dust-pan-and-brush-attached

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Hudsy Wudsy said:

Its pure blithering speculation on my part, but the limited distance that the spring mechanism allows for makes me wonder if part of it wasn't meant to hold something taut -- perhaps like fabric, or a bag of some sort. There's an antique tool site, if I recall right. Those guys are master speculators.

Maybe it held a sign or banner outside  Funeral In Progress or  something like that . STILL want to know what type of Cemetery has a basement, that is a new on e on me. POST A PHOTO to educate us AJFord54.

Edited by 1937hd45 (see edit history)

8 minutes ago, 1937hd45 said:

Maybe it held a sign or banner outside  Funeral In Progress or  something like that . STILL want to know what type of Cemetery has a basement, that is a new on e on me. POST A PHOTO to educate us AJFord54.

It is the basement of the office of the cemetery where they stored documents, old flower pots, brass items, etc.