Looking for advice for old TC by Maserati

TLTyler

A couple of decades ago Hemmings wrote an article that indicated these as a good investment.

I had always liked them and found one that had the twin cam and the five speed.

I flew to Florida and drove it home, One of the most fun cars that I have ever owned.

I had it for several years and ended up with two more. One a 4 cyl. auto with brake problems and one a V6 that ran and looked good but not a show car.

They turned out to not be a top investment and even though I was able to come out OK I found the market just wasn't there.

If you have a rough six cylinder model you would be best to offer it for parts.

The four banger with the automatic running well and looking good is a tough sell above a couple of thousand dollars.

My twin cam with the five speed was a very nice example and I was lucky to find a guy that ponied up 5K.

I probably should have kept that car as it was in pretty nice shape and ran like a rabbit, but alas, Hemmings missed the call on these cars.

• Like 1

Mr. Tyler, it might be worthwhile for you to pose your

question in a specific category on the forum:

"Chrysler's TC by Maserati."  If you scroll down the

long list of categories, you'll see it among the other

Chrysler-related categories.  There appears to be

quite a lot of activity in that category (unlike some

specific categories), so you should get some good,

knowledgeable answers from people who know that

specific model.

You may also have fun browsing the topics there,

seeing what questions were already answered.

For example, they address how to solve the cloudiness

in the porthole window.  All the best to you with your car!

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I think they were all turbo charged, and the TC

Turbo Cabriolet  OR Touring Coupe OR Touring Convertible

They are front wheel drive. First they came with a turbo 4 cylinder, then a turbo V-6. They were very expensive when new, like $68 to $70,000. Now you can't give them away.

I think they had real leather interiors.

Edited by mike6024 (see edit history)

39 minutes ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

The letters don't actually stand for any word,

but they are an allusion to the famous "Town and Country"

name of older Chryslers.

Guess they were too cheap to afford wood grain shelf paper for the sides, like the Plains, Trains, and Automobiles version. Bob 

PTA-Style-Guide-Gear-Patrol-Lead-Full.jpg

Edited by 1937hd45 (see edit history)
  • Haha 1

TCs:  People either love 'em or they hate 'em.  I suspect that most of the haters have never owned one.  

The four-cylinder turbo charged TC is an extremely comfortable fun-to-drive car.  The drive train is all Chrysler.  The body and interior is all Maserati.  Contrary to popular belief, the TC is not built on the K car platform.  No body panels will interchange between the TC and the K car.  

There is also a loyal and active TC community that offers support and parts for TC owners.  As has been mentioned, there is an active forum dedicated to TCs on this web page.  

If you want a fun antique car that is way undervalued, you can't do much better than the Chrysler TC by Maserati.

Only cars I've liked with four bolt wheels are FIAT 124s. Wait Masers were FIATs then.

Know a guy in town who has 12 of them.

Personally prefer Reattas, American drivetrain 3800 6 cyl.. Do think there are other choices from the period.

Either way if looking to move would help to know where you are.

2 hours ago, bryankazmer said:

The automatics are standard Chrysler drivetrains, but don't the manual trans ones also have engine differences?

Yes.  Their was an option for a Cosworth twin overhead cam 16-valve engine with a five-speed transmission.  Those cars are rare, as are the engine parts to repair them.

I had always heard that TC stood for Touring Corsa.

These cars were in the 30- 32K range in  89 ,90, 91 money.

They weren't junk.

Well built and as said very comfortable.

That drive from Florida to Oregon?     2 1/2 days.

That twin cam engine would fly with the overdrive 5 speed.

Wish I still had it.

• Like 1

They dont bring much more than the lookalike LeBaron convertible from the same era. I remember there was a lot of bitchin' from the original TC owners about how the LeBaron's cheapened the exclusive Maserati cachet.

I've had 3 LeBaron convert's, all decent cars for very little money.

1 hour ago, bryankazmer said:

The cars suffered when new (and maybe still) from resembling the much cheaper and common LeBaron so much.  The 5-speed cars offered much better performance .

I got two years out of a $500.00 tag sale LeBaron, plus the gas and oil. Scrap gave me $200.00 back when it finally died. Never put the top down, why risk it. Bob 

10 hours ago, Roger Frazee said:

I suspect that most of the haters have never owned one.

That is a very common fact. If you find a forum or website dedicated to the model you will be fine.

To your question of what to do; clean that car thoroughly and polish everything that will shine. If the air filter is lying on the seat or the interior has trash lying around make it all presentable, not like the Craigslisters. Take good pictures in daylight and sell it. Make a few bucks or minimize your losses. Either is fine. And look for something neat that is usable as is and matches your skill level. Lots of stand up, sharp cars in the 10-15 year old range are out there in those seedy used car lots. One will catch your eye. Get the best one that turns your head.

I have been in this hobby for over half a century and about the only time some old crank has anything good to say about what they think is a "modern" car , by their terms, is if they just bought one at a rock bottom price and are selling it. Seen it happen decade after decade.

Bernie