Canadian License Plate sells for $10,000

TerryB

The auction house is Miller and Miller - their father was also an antique dealer and vintage car collector.  The two boys started into the auction world just a few years ago and have already built a reputation for excellent vintage and antique items.  Take a look at their past auction results and you will see that the antique market is still alive and well for the good pieces.   They are only about 20 minutes away from me and definitely worth following their sales.  https://www.millerandmillerauctions.com/

Edited by 3macboys (see edit history)
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, TerryB said:

This is the kind of stuff that gets thrown away by the family when you’re gone!

You are right Terry. A friend passed away a few years ago. I stopped by his place to talk with his girlfriend as she was cleaning his place up. I asked if there was anything I could help with. She asked me to take a box out to the dumpster. It was a full case of dinner plates from the iconic El Mirador Hotel here in Palm Springs. Playground to Hollywood's elite, from the 30's to the 80's. Of course I rescued them. To her they were just junk.

20200108_153130.jpg

2237faf0894e3ce32a3ece538feef5e2-LEAD-PUB-PS-El-Mirador-Willard-cc.jpg

Seems like an odd source, but I picked up a nice NOS set of 1941 Century rocker panel moldings from them.  Apparently their dad was a Buick man as noted above.  I bid on them on ebay and the price started getting too high until I noticed it was canadian dollars.  I don't think my fellow bidders considered that.

$10,000 for a early Canadian plate sure sounds like a very high price. However it is a part of the hobby that I have not become involved in to any extent so I am not in a position to say if it is a " going rate " price or not.  The fact that it is early motorcycle might be part of the high price but perhaps not.  An Auction sale so there must have been at least two people who really wanted it and were prepared to pay up.

Greg in Canada

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, 1912Staver said:

$10,000 for a early Canadian plate sure sounds like a very high price. However it is a part of the hobby that I have not become involved in to any extent so I am not in a position to say if it is a " going rate " price or not.  The fact that it is early motorcycle might be part of the high price but perhaps not.  An Auction sale so there must have been at least two people who really wanted it and were prepared to pay up.

Greg in Canada

Motorcycle tags are hard to find and this one must have had some good back up documentation.  In PA I think it was 1914 until motorcycles were required to have a state issued license plate.  These plates are porcelain. They have always been expensive due to the limited number that survived.  Still, $10k is good money for any type of license plate.

• Like 1

Sometimes a person's hoard is just too overwhelming (or too rough) for an auction.

That was the case a few years ago when my neighbor passed away. He was a third generation hoarder and the family farm showed it ! A couple of scrap dealers took six months to haul everything to the landfill or scrapyard.

I was aware of several interesting items,including a 1901 and 1903 curved dash Olds engines.They had been used as stationary engines and were up in the barn's granary.I bought them for scrap price and am working on getting them restored. The '01 is stamped "96" which I believe is the engine number.The '03 was modified with a period conversion kit,which included twin flywheels (one with a pulley) and a special iron base to mount vertically.

Also purchased was a pole trailer with cast spoke wheels and solid rubber tires.It had been the front half of a WW1 vintage truck.

I had to wait 55 years from when I first saw this stuff to buy them, but it's now a great way to while away the winter months.

The first picture shows the '01 as found.The second is a mock up of the '03 after finding a suitable water and fuel tank.

Maybe I should start a thread in "Our projects and restorations".

1901 Oldsmobile engine 003.JPG

1903 Olds ready to run 003.JPG

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Sorry, I didn't mean to be disrespectful. It's a licence plate so I thought it would be seen in a purely automotive context. Canadians are very aware of the horror of the 911 attacks and the lasting impact they had on the United States and the rest of the world.

Greg

• Like 1

15 hours ago, mercer09 said:

well yes, DE is another story. People actually run porcelain plates on their new cars and it is a status symbol.

it's a rarely enforced law, the porcelain plates are only legal up to tag#88000, and must be numbers only.if it's a PC or d plate, it can be plack reflective with stainless numbers only. funniest thing i ever saw platewise, was i got behind a rolls royce convert. with a 2 digit tag and the tag was expired. a lot of low numbered tags here, less than 1 million residents, but we will soon have to change our numbering system

• Like 1

On 1/8/2020 at 2:38 PM, TerryB said:

Don’t just check your sheds and barns for cars!  This is the kind of stuff that gets thrown away by the family when you’re gone!

True. I through out a lot of stuff from my dad’s garages. I didn’t have time to research everything since I lived 2200 miles away. 

My question is:  How many motorcycles were there in Ontario in 1907? Apparently there were at least 260, but were there so many that they needed to be licensed?

Were horses and/or buggies licensed at this time in Canada (or the US or anywhere else)? I'm asking this question sincerely, because I don't know.

Ontario had over 2 million residents in 1907 so yes there would have easily been 260 + motorcycles. The question of licences might have more to do with where an individual lived. In Toronto or one of the other population centers I expect the motorcyclist would have no choice. There would have been more than enough police to bring unlicensed motor cycle use to a quick and probably expensive end. In the more remote areas of the province ; in terms of square miles it's a rather big area, { larger than the entire U.S. Northeast/ New England area put together } there were probably numerous areas where the long arm of the law didn't quite reach far enough.

I am unaware of anywhere where buggies were licenced. Commercial horse drawn vehicles may have been a different story.

Greg in Canada

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, JamesR said:

My question is:  How many motorcycles were there in Ontario in 1907? Apparently there were at least 260, but were there so many that they needed to be licensed?

By the end of 1907 there were 1530 passenger vehicles registered in Ontario, up from 1176 the previous year.  We don't know if that would include motorcycles or not, but I'd be surprised if there were 250 motorcycles either way.  Automobiles were still just catching on, and Ontario's weather doesn't make it a prime spot for year round motorcycle transport.  Peter