DB26

A Question For Porcelain Sign Collectors

On 1/4/2020 at 2:17 PM, VintageJunkie said:

Robert your sign collection looks awesome and love those cars.   It appears you have them roped off - do you drive them much or more for admiration?  

I keep 5 or 6 running at all times and try to rotate them although my 41 Cad is always on call.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I bought a 1940s MoPar Batteries sign, 4 ft. tall, about 20" wide.  in the 80s for about $25.  At least I assume it was from the 40s.  I dated it from the fact that the battery pictured had a 6 volt battery,  I guess it could have been made anywhere from the 40s through 1955.  It was brand new still in wraps when I bought it.  I bought it from a guy who was parting out an old Chrysler dealership.  About 15 years ago, I thought maybe I could make about two or three hundred dollars on this.  It was a metal sign, one-sided.  I put it on Ebay, and I was shocked to see it sell for about $1300.  I've never seen another sign with that subject matter on it.  Maybe the fact that it was rare determined the high price.  

Edited by marcapra (see edit history)
  • Like 1

On 1/4/2020 at 5:13 PM, MetroPetro said:

Any idea what something like this would be worth?

I think you might be surprised at what you would get on eBay.  List it with a $500 reserve. I recently sold a 72 inch and 36 inch Sinclair signs that were far worse than yours for $750 each on Craigslist. The purchaser drove 500 miles to pick them up. I see increased interest in signs with "patina",  This may be because the good stuff is hard to find and expensive.  I purchased a group of five 42 inch DSP dealer service signs for $200 each in the early 90's.  Today they would bring 3 to 6K each at auction.

dsp

Then again it all depends on what day of the week it ends,  if people forget to bid.  I sell old car literature on ebay all at auction with stupid cheap opening bids and no reserve and it's all over the place with no rhyme or reason.   I also bought a 50's Chevy dealer sign 2 days ago in Porcelain,  rather small but definitely original with the old garage name and phone number in very nice shape for under $50 shipped to the door and that was with bidding not a buy it now.   Some of my signs come from ebay though I don't actively buy them,  they are just ones I stumble upon, but I throw a bid in figuring,  no way it's going that cheap and I end up winning it.  As I said seems the only explanation is the one I gave above.  

On 1/1/2020 at 2:26 PM, dodgebrother said:

Any signs relating to Automobile Dealers and Gas Stations are fair game.

The market for good vintage porcelain signs and neon porcelain and gas station advertising is healthy and alive.

I am only interested in "real" signs with an identifiable mark of where and when they were made.

The Dodge Desoto Dodge Truck sign for instance was made by several different companies back in the day. 

I have been collecting signs for a long time and try to collect signs that relate to some of my vehicle or old gas station memories.

I also have a passion for "marine" related oil and gas items like square oil cans and porcelain signs and some o/b motors. 

This room is what I call the "overflow" room and is a small part of the inventory.

One day when I shift down to a lower gear I will hang them in the shop / show room / old gas station setting that is on the drawing board.

This same sort of semi controlled addiction has applied to cars and trucks and all the related accessories for them.

But I have been purging a few vehicles lately.

Such as a 42 Dodge pickup just sent to France, 46 Dodge 1 ton locally , 35 Dodge coupe locally, 35 Dodge slant back locally, 70 El Camino SS 454 LS6 M22 #'s match CDN GM Docs locally and I have a few others looking for a home....  

Currently doing a full frame off restoration of a very rare civilian model 1942 Dodge Suburban with barn doors and also doing a frame on restoration of a 1935 DB KC 2nd series pickup that was special  ordered by the IRS in Fargo ND in October 1935 with a few "extra options".

Happy New Year to everyone...! 

Onward and upward and pedal to the metal throughout 2020.

Dodge, Desoto, Dodge Trucks.jpg

IMG_5068.jpg

IMG_4001.jpg

IMG_5084.jpg

IMG_5081.jpg

IMG_5066.jpg

IMG_5073.jpg

With that Eaton's sign you must be in Canada

• Like 1

I’ve done some googling and a lot of people reccomend “Bar Keepers Friend” cleanser for cleaning up rust stained and dirty porcelain signs. Anyone have any experience? 

Posted (edited)

I actually use Mothers MAg and Aluminum Polish on mine and it cleans up the majority of the stains with some elbow grease.  Even works on the enamel signs but you have to be careful as it works like a buffing compound so it does shine it up real nice but it slowly wears the paint down as you do it so you have to find the happy medium and not go too far so you lose enough paint that you make a noticeable spot in the sign.  Not a problem on the porcelain signs but something to keep in mind on the enameled pieces. I use to do it to lunch boxes which have very little enamel and lots of graphics so it's a slow process and you aren't going to instantly trash an enameled sign by trying it. 

A trick for cleaning enameled or porcelain signs if they have been in a dirty shop environment and and are greasy with light overspray maybe even on them, is you can use lighter fluid (like you get for the barbecue) it degreases incredibly well.  It's so mild it doesn't remove paint either and leaves no oily residue.  I actually degreased the inner fenders on my 36 Chrysler to the original blue finish and clear coated them.  Even alcohol was taking the paint off.  The lighter fluid cleaned it so well that when I cleared it I didn't get a single fish eye.  I use it for all my degreasing jobs now and just throw the rags (paper towels) in the barbecue and torch them off when I'm done. 

Edited by auburnseeker (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Maybe not so much w porcelain but on any old signage be extra careful with cleaners if any of the sign is red, seems to be much less resiliant for some reason.  One heartbraker for me was trying to clean up an NOS Tydol tag topper with some wrapper stuck to it, warm water was all it took to soften the ancient  white paint.  I didnt strip it but I know the cleaning attempt did damage. 🙁 Never clean in a hurry!

We have had great luck with gel gloss on porcelain though.

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Joe in Canada said:

With that Eaton's sign you must be in Canada

♫ ♪ We want you to SMILE! ….. when you say "Eaton's"...…  ♫ ♪

Craig

Edited by 8E45E (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I got the sign last week. Here it is after a cleaning. 

BBC43FC2-6AAD-45CB-9141-8027EBA262D2.thumb.jpeg.d443418bd645338c5b49b48401f12f2a.jpeg

image.jpeg.3aac37173d6e0c8f1eef236c79a63623.jpeg

• Like 2