A Question For Porcelain Sign Collectors

I actually use Mothers MAg and Aluminum Polish on mine and it cleans up the majority of the stains with some elbow grease.  Even works on the enamel signs but you have to be careful as it works like a buffing compound so it does shine it up real nice but it slowly wears the paint down as you do it so you have to find the happy medium and not go too far so you lose enough paint that you make a noticeable spot in the sign.  Not a problem on the porcelain signs but something to keep in mind on the enameled pieces. I use to do it to lunch boxes which have very little enamel and lots of graphics so it's a slow process and you aren't going to instantly trash an enameled sign by trying it. 

A trick for cleaning enameled or porcelain signs if they have been in a dirty shop environment and and are greasy with light overspray maybe even on them, is you can use lighter fluid (like you get for the barbecue) it degreases incredibly well.  It's so mild it doesn't remove paint either and leaves no oily residue.  I actually degreased the inner fenders on my 36 Chrysler to the original blue finish and clear coated them.  Even alcohol was taking the paint off.  The lighter fluid cleaned it so well that when I cleared it I didn't get a single fish eye.  I use it for all my degreasing jobs now and just throw the rags (paper towels) in the barbecue and torch them off when I'm done. 

Edited by auburnseeker (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Maybe not so much w porcelain but on any old signage be extra careful with cleaners if any of the sign is red, seems to be much less resiliant for some reason.  One heartbraker for me was trying to clean up an NOS Tydol tag topper with some wrapper stuck to it, warm water was all it took to soften the ancient  white paint.  I didnt strip it but I know the cleaning attempt did damage. 🙁 Never clean in a hurry!

We have had great luck with gel gloss on porcelain though.

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Although it is not porcelain, one of my favorite finds  was this dealership poster from WWII.  Couldn't sell new cars so you sold service and used cars.... for Victory.  I have not yet seen another.

57f67141c1dc1_VictoryPoster.JPG.8d2bc683c3cc87d6330e2a8b43c23197.JPG

• Like 1

Every year at HERSHEY, we make a point of visiting one particular vendor. He has a AAA sign from the next town over from where I live, that's what caught my attention. For about the last 12 to 15 years he has the sign hung in his area with a price of $5000. You would think that by now the light bulb wood go off and let him know $5000 is way too high for that sign. He simply does not want to sell it, or he's waiting for that big fish to come along, just a tease.

I have had several friends that threw way stupid prices on things they didn't want to sell just so people would stop bothering them and then had to sell it when the right person came along. Then they were upset with themself. That is one of the reason I never put a price on something I don't want to sell.

10 hours ago, 46 woodie said:

Every year at HERSHEY, we make a point of visiting one particular vendor. He has a AAA sign from the next town over from where I live, that's what caught my attention. For about the last 12 to 15 years he has the sign hung in his area with a price of $5000. You would think that by now the light bulb wood go off and let him know $5000 is way too high for that sign. He simply does not want to sell it, or he's waiting for that big fish to come along, just a tease.

I'm sure it's just there to attract attention. 

terry