Redoing my interior

crowvet

I just removed mine and used dynamat style insulation there instead. Its superior to the old batting insulation and also provides additional sound deadening on the tunnel.  I actually put down stinger roadkill insulation (similar to dynamat but better amd cheaper) in my entire interior when I recently redid the upholstery and carpeting. I also put it behind the dash and on the underside of the dash cover panel and on the panel behind the rear seats. If you want to stick with something similar to that original batting, lowes and home depot sells similar batting insulation with foil on one.side.  its sold near the plumbing pipe insulation in like 10 foot rolls. I put some of that on my firewall and behind the desk where the roadkill wouldn't fit or.didnt  make sense. 

Raul

12 hours ago, 64Rivvy said:

I just removed mine and used dynamat style insulation there instead. Its superior to the old batting insulation and also provides additional sound deadening on the tunnel.  I actually put down stinger roadkill insulation (similar to dynamat but better amd cheaper) in my entire interior when I recently redid the upholstery and carpeting. I also put it behind the dash and on the underside of the dash cover panel and on the panel behind the rear seats. If you want to stick with something similar to that original batting, lowes and home depot sells similar batting insulation with foil on one.side.  its sold near the plumbing pipe insulation in like 10 foot rolls. I put some of that on my firewall and behind the desk where the roadkill wouldn't fit or.didnt  make sense. 

Raul

Much appreciated!

I purchased the Fiberglass rear package tray from Clarks. How did those of you that have used this attach it? Or did you just lay it in place. It comes with no holes. if you screwed it down, what type of screws did you use and how did you determine where to drill the holes?

I do have my original, just seems these holes need to be pretty precise. By laying the old one on top of the new, I would think you could be off at least 1/8 inch. Also a tapered screw seems like a poor fit into the fiberglass? My thought was the ones with the chrome washer built on to them?

22 minutes ago, crowvet said:

I do have my original, just seems these holes need to be pretty precise. By laying the old one on top of the new, I would think you could be off at least 1/8 inch. Also a tapered screw seems like a poor fit into the fiberglass? My thought was the ones with the chrome washer built on to them?

This is def making me second guess buying the rear package shelf from Clarks...

1 hour ago, DrownedRiv said:

This is def making me second guess buying the rear package shelf from Clarks...

Anything you buy in the way of a package tray is going to take some work on your part to get it to fit exactly. Clark's is still the way to go.

One idea - If the tray will go into place by laying it in with out sliding it, slap some paint around the hole, lay the shelf in place, and the paint will transfer to the shelf. You'll then know where the holes are.  Or, pick out where you want the trim screw to be seen, mark the shelf, put it in place, then drill through the shelf AND the body making both holes so you know that they will line up.  The more you think about it and play with it, the sooner you'll come up with a solution. I checked and you cannot reach the level where the shelf lies by climbing into the trunk and working from the back side. 

Makes me wonder if Fisher Body predrilled the hole in the first place or whether they worked with a jig and drilled the holes in the shelf and the body at the same time.

23 hours ago, crowvet said:

I purchased the Fiberglass rear package tray from Clarks. How did those of you that have used this attach it? Or did you just lay it in place. It comes with no holes. if you screwed it down, what type of screws did you use and how did you determine where to drill the holes?

Hi Daryle,

Can you post a photo of your original package tray, and a pic of Clars tray for comparison?  

I'm considering replaing the package tray on my '65 and wonder how similar the Clarks tray is to the original. 

Do I assume correctly that you have to paint the Clarks tray to match your interior?

Thanks

2 hours ago, 65VerdeGS said:

Hi Daryle,

Can you post a photo of your original package tray, and a pic of Clars tray for comparison?  

I'm considering replaing the package tray on my '65 and wonder how similar the Clarks tray is to the original. 

Do I assume correctly that you have to paint the Clarks tray to match your interior?

Thanks

I will post some pictures in a couple days. I had them cover mine with vinyl to match the interior. It really does look and fit nice. Just don't want to mess up on the holes

9 hours ago, RivNut said:

Anything you buy in the way of a package tray is going to take some work on your part to get it to fit exactly. Clark's is still the way to go.

One idea - If the tray will go into place by laying it in with out sliding it, slap some paint around the hole, lay the shelf in place, and the paint will transfer to the shelf. You'll then know where the holes are.  Or, pick out where you want the trim screw to be seen, mark the shelf, put it in place, then drill through the shelf AND the body making both holes so you know that they will line up.  The more you think about it and play with it, the sooner you'll come up with a solution. I checked and you cannot reach the level where the shelf lies by climbing into the trunk and working from the back side. 

Makes me wonder if Fisher Body predrilled the hole in the first place or whether they worked with a jig and drilled the holes in the shelf and the body at the same time.

Excellent ideas, my thought was modelling clay balls in the holes with some Prussian blue on it. The tray really is high quality, I just don't see how the normal tapered screw heads will countersink into the fiberglass. I also had the tray covered in vinyl, so I thought they might grab and roll the vinyl? This is why I am leaning toward screws with the chrome

washers attached. At $300 I don't want to make a mistake.

I'm pretty sure that the factory screws were ones that had a trim washer on them.  Even if they didn't the new ones will look professional (and who's going to know anyway?)

I just remembered this.  A number of years ago, I bought a couple of 1963 parts cars.  One. was pretty much a rust bucket, but it was complete.  My step-son and I took every single trim screw from the car, put each in a sandwich bag, and labeled it. I then sent all of the labeled sandwich bags to Glenn at Mr. G's Enterprises. He proceeded to take them a make a complete kit which he now has for sale.  Check his website for it.  The screws in the kit will replace every screw that is visible in the interior.  There is also a complete list of the screws and where each goes.  Might be worth looking into.

You'll find Glenn's website at Mr G's Enterprises

www.mrgusa.com 

Part number GM1117. 

Download the PDF for GM interior kits

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I second the kit from Mr. G.  I bought an interior kit and it's been great as I redo the interior. Each bag is individually labeled and numbered tying back to a master list of where the screws go. Most are indistinguishable from original hardware though not all are perfect reproductions. 

• Thanks 1

I just started the install of my package tray from Clarks.  You should be able to see the center hole for the screws under the rear window from inside the trunk (there are three screws).  I laid my package tray in place and drilled out the center hole from the trunk using a long bit.  Once I had the center hole I measured and made new holes for the two remaining screws, from the inside of the car, so they looked evenly spaced and at the same level. I was not overly concerned with using the original holes for the two outside screws.

The screws from the Mr G's kit are shown in the attached pic

Hope that helps

Doug  

screw.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, BMac said:

I recently installed a rear package tray from Clarks myself.  I bought a roll of heavy duty velcro and used it across the back so that i didnt need to drill those 3 holes.  Worked really well.

And we have a winner.

• Like 1

Just to let everyone know the prototype rear package tray I sent Clark's twenty plus years ago had the three holes in it for the rear mounting screws along with a couple other things they didn't reproduce from the original. Reasoning was that not  every car had the screws in the same exact location on every '63-'65 package tray the reason they were not provided in the fiberglass reproduction.

Tom T.

2 hours ago, telriv said:

Just to let everyone know the prototype rear package tray I sent Clark's twenty plus years ago had the three holes in it for the rear mounting screws along with a couple other things they didn't reproduce from the original. Reasoning was that not  every car had the screws in the same exact location on every '63-'65 package tray the reason they were not provided in the fiberglass reproduction.

Tom T.

Do you  get a residual payment for each one sold?

NO, but I got a new package tray covered out of it.  I also put them onto the original manufacturer of the seat foams which was at a much higher quality than what they were using previously.  Along with MANY other things for our cars.   They made me leather seat covers in the '64 Pattern at a MUCH reduced price. 

So in a way I HAVE gotten something out of it for my troubles.

Tom T.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, telriv said:

NO, but I got a new package tray covered out of it.  I also put them onto the original manufacturer of the seat foams which was at a much higher quality than what they were using previously.  Along with MANY other things for our cars.   They made me leather seat covers in the '64 Pattern at a MUCH reduced price. 

Tom T.

Thanks to guys like Tom we now have access to quality reproduction parts.  When I got my '65 in 1983 there was almost nothing reproduced for these cars.  We've come a long way since then so it's easier to restore these cars we love with correct reproduction replacements, or at least as reasonably correct as possible.

• Like 1

I bought my 63 in 82. But at that time it was less than 20 years old and was basically a used car.  Parts houses had replacement parts and there were wrecks in salvage yards for other parts.  With the guys who are vendors of used parts (those who advertise in the Riview), the few who still have NOS parts, and reproductions, and those with mechanical knowledge, we still have the sources to keep our Rivieras running and on the road. Thanks to all of these folks.  

You just have to do your research and dig this information out.  

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/10/2020 at 10:02 AM, telriv said:

Tom T.

I think that a lot of the independent manufacturers do this kind of thing.  Glenn at Mr. G's returned all of the screws that I sent to him as well as one of the kits he started reproducing.  If you think of a part that all of us need, send it to one of these guys and see if they can do something with it.  The 63 parts cars that I used for the interior kit were messed up body wise or I would have pulled all of the exterior screws and had Glenn make an exterior bolt and screw kit.  It might be nice if someone would get all of the bolt descriptions together so ARP could put together an engine bolt kit, not the dress up kits, but head bolts, bearing cap bolts, etc.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, 71GS said:

Crowvet, looks really good. Nice work. Mine is all apart too. “I’m going to redo the veneer and fix this seat...” turns into entire interior out of the car🤣

I have new veneer as well, starting on the front seats now. I think I am going to pull the rear upper back out. I think I can do better on the drivers upper.

• Like 1