Redoing my interior

crowvet

21 hours ago, Seafoam65 said:

Agreed.......although it is not correct, the seats look better without the buttons.

It is always good to have something that catches the "self-appointed" judge's eye right away. They find their flaw and get on with life quicker.

I like it as well.

Bernie

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, 60FlatTop said:

Curious, what did you use for the rear seat foam?

Bernie

Bought rear foam from OPGI. It sorta worked, but was not correct imo. My car has standard interior and therefore my seat has the racetrack style welt around the inside of the cushion. I marked out and cut a channel into these. I also think they are thinner. I think they would be correct for a deluxe interior car. It is all I could find, and it seems it is what all vendors offer. They are also difficult to find in stock.

28 minutes ago, crowvet said:

Bought rear foam from OPGI. It sorta worked, but was not correct imo. My car has standard interior and therefore my seat has the racetrack style welt around the inside of the cushion. I marked out and cut a channel into these. I also think they are thinner. I think they would be correct for a deluxe interior car. It is all I could find, and it seems it is what all vendors offer. They are also difficult to find in stock.

Not surprised that OPGI stuff isn't correct.  The seats for standard and custom interiors are exactly the same except for the color and quality of the vinyl.  Did you look at the foam offered by Clark's Corvair?  I don't think anyone has ever had a problem with any of Calvin Clark's goods.

29 minutes ago, RivNut said:

Not surprised that OPGI stuff isn't correct.  The seats for standard and custom interiors are exactly the same except for the color and quality of the vinyl.  Did you look at the foam offered by Clark's Corvair?  I don't think anyone has ever had a problem with any of Calvin Clark's goods.

They didn't stock foam for the rear at the time. Maybe they do now? Any of them I found do not have the race track groove in them. They all have two grooves that run from front to back, but do not connect across the front. I had to cut that groove into them.

Edited by crowvet (see edit history)

I just looked at the foam pieces on Clark's website and I see where there might be a groove where the bolsters are on the sides, but I don't see anything resembling a groove across the front.

Do a search within this forum for the topic '1963 Riviera front driver seat fixup' by Swede Down Under R63.  Some really good pictures of the redo of the seats in his 63. A couple of the pictures show the foam that he used and the finished product over that foam.

3 hours ago, RivNut said:

I just looked at the foam pieces on Clark's website and I see where there might be a groove where the bolsters are on the sides, but I don't see anything resembling a groove across the front.

Do a search within this forum for the topic '1963 Riviera front driver seat fixup' by Swede Down Under R63.  Some really good pictures of the redo of the seats in his 63. A couple of the pictures show the foam that he used and the finished product over that foam.

Exactly, I had to make my own channel in the foam across the front. I also think the foam is thinner in the bolster area. I will check out the post by Swede. Thank you for always being so helpful. You are a huge asset to preserving our cars. The front seat foam does not need the channel across the front of the foam,nor does the rear lower cushion but the rear upper does. Hopefully my fronts will turn out as well as Swedes. My seats don't seem to be as molested as his were. The original foam is very superior to what is available. Mine even had cloth skirts attached to them that pulled down around the seat and hog ringed to the bottom. 

Edited by crowvet (see edit history)

41 minutes ago, RivNut said:

I guess that I didn't make that very clear, sorry. What I was trying to imply was that there's no need for a groove across the front.  Did you find the thread that I mentioned?  Can someone else pitch in here?  

You were quite clear Ed. What I was saying is I agree with you on the groove not being needed for the front seats or the rear lower cushions. The rear seat upper however does need the groove that the foam available does not have.

P1070582.JPG

Well, know I why we're not on the same page.  The picture you just posted shows that the seat backs that you're installing are sewn in the 64 pattern. The 63 pattern has the panels going all the way up; there's no horizontal piece in 63 seats, front or back. 😕 I don't like being the bearer of bad news, but.....

6732854_unnamed(1).jpg.69c5de4d82f1c0d30e3d11ab25df5147.jpg

17 minutes ago, RivNut said:

Well, know I why we're not on the same page.  The picture you just posted shows that the seat backs that you're installing are sewn in the 64 pattern. The 63 pattern has the panels going all the way up; there's no horizontal piece in 63 seats, front or back. 😕 I don't like being the bearer of bad news, but.....

6732854_unnamed(1).jpg.69c5de4d82f1c0d30e3d11ab25df5147.jpg

My car is a 65

My bad. I have no idea where I came up with the idea that you were working on a 65. Did I skip over that when reading the different posts? 

The foam pieces that are on the market are for 63 standard and custom, 64 standard and custom, and 65 standard only. They are all the same.  You have the correct part.  Clark's does not sell foam for a 65 custom and I don't think anyone else does either.  The custom seats use the same frame, but not the same foam.

22 hours ago, RivNut said:

My bad. I have no idea where I came up with the idea that you were working on a 65. Did I skip over that when reading the different posts? it is a 65, maybe you mean 63?

The foam pieces that are on the market are for 63 standard and custom, 64 standard and custom, and 65 standard only. my interior is standard and the rear foam is incorrect   They are all the same.  You have the correct part.  Clark's does not sell foam for a 65 custom maybe you meant standard?  and I don't think anyone else does either.  The custom seats use the same frame, but not the same foam.

Well Ed, we fell down a big rabbit hole there didn't we LOL. I think we agree though that the seat foam available does not fit my 65 standard interior rear seat backs. 

Call Calvin at Clark's and ask him if there should be a groove across the back.  I've heard of a number of people using this foam with no groove in it and the covers fit fine.  Let us know if you talk to him.  You may have to apologize for not purchasing from him, but you can tell him that you'll be sure and promote him on the forum. 😀

2 minutes ago, RivNut said:

Call Calvin at Clark's and ask him if there should be a groove across the back.  I've heard of a number of people using this foam with no groove in it and the covers fit fine.  Let us know if you talk to him.  You may have to apologize for not purchasing from him, but you can tell him that you'll be sure and promote him on the forum. 😀

I spent $1600 dollars there, so I think he would forgive me for the foam that they were out of. 

• Thanks 1

Well, this about the interior. So yesterday I noticed an unused LED Shop-light in the corner of my cluttered domain. It fit perfectly between the Rivieras' Coat Hooks. Dome light on steroids!

Notice the '63 pattern. Didn't splurge on new leather and I opted for the cheaper cardboard parcel shelf, now with regret.

Riviera_wShopLight.JPG

• Like 1

That image is of the rear seat for good reason. The front, well . . . .

I noticed your battery is connected with the dome lights ON. With my console not installed yet and the open harness, my battery cable is off.

I'm leaving all courtesy and dome lamp covers off until the console and seats are in. Installed a new lense in the rear console light and covered it with cardboard.

You're ahead of me Matt!

On 3/10/2020 at 8:34 PM, XframeFX said:

That image is of the rear seat for good reason. The front, well . . . .

I noticed your battery is connected with the dome lights ON. With my console not installed yet and the open harness, my battery cable is off.

I'm leaving all courtesy and dome lamp covers off until the console and seats are in. Installed a new lense in the rear console light and covered it with cardboard.

You're ahead of me Matt!

I replaced the rear lens and console rear chrome piece in mine, and also replaced the lighter with a power point. Did it with the console installed. It was not fun. It is fun however knowing and seeing others doing the same work. Good luck on your project.

After a while besides becoming distorted, the older interior lamp lenses started to yellow.  Just a couple of years ago, the round console/sail panel lights were still available from the dealerships.  That same lens was still used in other later model GM products.

A loooooooong time ago, before 1st generation Riveras became so popular with restorers/enthusiasts, some guys were fashioning the rear lenses in the console from plastic milk jugs.  

• Haha 1

NO.  They were originally concave.  After time they yellowed & disintegrated from the heat of the incandescent bulb.  Today we have LED's so no more concerns about heat.  From what I understand is they were made flat to add a cushion of distance from the heat of the bulb..  In theory it should work, BUT I would really like someone to come up with a more original solution rather than taking the easy way out.

I am done wasting my time & MANY $$$$$ to come up with solutions to my needs for my Riv.  ONLY to be told things cost too many $$$$

On 3/8/2020 at 11:52 AM, crowvet said:

Crowvet, curious, when did you order and actually receive your rear foam from OPG?  I also bought everything from Clark’s, but no one offers the rear foam except opg. The others that do list it, get it from OPG. When I ordered from them, late January, they said would be 4 weeks(March 3) before they would have it. I got an email this week now stating April 6th. 😳. I called and was told purchasing would contact supplier and get back to me.. that was several days ago. IF anyone knows of another source, please let me know. On the positive side, I got my seat frames blasted and powder coated and stainless polished, they turned out great. Console is back in and dash going back together 👍really enjoy following your progress.

thanks, Brian

63F099D9-E123-4031-B6C0-734073A7F3F6.jpeg

4E9FF985-D4F6-49C6-83CE-9A7406A0D1D3.jpeg

4D7AB8F9-BB8F-45F9-A6D0-FA01B87AFDE7.jpeg

Edited by 71GS (see edit history)

1 hour ago, 71GS said:

Crowvet, curious, when did you order and actually receive your rear foam from OPG?  I also bought everything from Clark’s, but no one offers the rear foam except opg. The others that do list it, get it from OPG. When I ordered from them, late January, they said would be 4 weeks(March 3) before they would have it. I got an email this week now stating April 6th. 😳. I called and was told purchasing would contact supplier and get back to me.. that was several days ago. IF anyone knows of another source, please let me know. On the positive side, I got my seat frames blasted and powder coated and stainless polished, they turned out great. Console is back in and dash going back together 👍really enjoy following your progress.

thanks, Brian

This is typical of OPGI. You order an item and it is out of stock. They give a date for restocking. That date comes and goes. They give another date, that date comes and goes. So on and so forth. Never getting to a date where the item is in stock and available to be shipped to you. When I first got my Riviera in 2014  I was naive and did not know of other sources. I also did not know of OPGI's high prices and other insufficiencies and ordered some things from them. I am still waiting for my floor mats. My car originally had a silver interior. I purchased a front set of seat upholstery from a fellow forum member. This upholstery was originally from OPGI. I figured it would be a good idea to get the rears from the same source/manufacturer. I have been looking at their site for well over a year. Same story, not in stock a future date of delivery given. Every time I check the only thing that has changed is the availability date sometime in the future.

Bill

Clark's has been offering seat buns and seat backs for as long or longer than anyone.  If you look at the part number for the seat buns, you'll notice they start with a C rather than an R. C is for Corvair, R is for Riviera. Calvin has been selling Corvair restoration parts for a long time. 

R-9.thumb.jpg.de98c1cf99ae634cd0b66de82db08964.jpg

He figured out a looooong time ago that the square back bucket seats used by GM all used the same base (foam). After he purchased a Riviera of his own did he start making parts for it.  Do not think that anything original comes from OPGI - probably 9ne of the nation's largest relabeled.  The reason they can't tell you when a product will be available is because they have no production control of the company from whom they are getting their stuff.  Right now I think that anyone/everyone offering these foam pieces gets them from the same manufacturer.  The reason that you cannot buy foam for the 1965 Riviera custom seat backs is because that seat back is unique among GM products.  Not a big enough market for this unique part.  All other foam pieces fit Chevy Corvair, Nova, Malibu, Impala for the 62 - 65 era. Same for Buick Special, Wildcat, and Riviera, and their Oldsmobile and Pontiac cousins. Google 1963 Buick Riviera seat foam and click on the images link to see how many different vendors of these parts.

Still on the console light lense. I pried-off the old yellowed concave lense and replaced with a new flat repro and not 30 minutes later I stumbled upon a light assembly with a missing lense! Same with the install of remote drivers mirror that had some pitting. A week later, found a better mirror in a box of parts while searching for something else! Door skin NOT coming off!

Matt did the right thing slipping his new ACC rear carpet under the console. DO NOT RECOMMEND lifting the console out of place! My Riv had a disgusting console and I have a better unit is the reason why I am now in it deep. I'll have another go at the remaining bracket this weekend. Looking like I'll have to fab a bracket to make the LS console dash-to-trans hump bracket to work. This means having to remove the RS bracket yet again.

Aftermarket power point, I found boat stores like Bass Pro Shop have quality 12V accessories.

With all the stripped seats in these images above, I wonder about seat tracks. The Power Seat inboard seat track falls out with the nylon slides gone forever! Been searching parts cars and got my seats mixed up. Purchased an inboard track for the passenger seat. I had 2 of 4 nylon inserts and now lost the 3rd (images of my last 1 below). Tried digital printing and cost a fortune to scan, cheap to print. Bought 8 ft. length of nylon like stock and waay too much elbow work. Material is hard! These little pieces of nylon are a show stopper.

PwrSeat_SlideInsert_2.JPG

PwrSeat_SlideInsert_3.JPG

3 hours ago, 71GS said:

thanks, Brian

Beautiful, yes I finally got it. Took like 4 months. On the last update from them, I told them if it wasn't here by that date I wanted my $ back. They sent me two sets because they had it listed as a separate cushion and I ordered two. I got two sets. When I contacted them they paid to have them returned for a refund. never got a refund because they said their supplier changed the packaging from one cusion to two in a box and that their shipping dept didn't know so they pulled two. Therefore they said they didn't owe me a refund. I said really after 4 months and all the extra correspondence ect? They gave me a $25 credit on future parts

It wouldnt be half the fun nor would you build such character if you were restoring a Camaro or a Mustang and you could buy every conceivable part. 

Seat-Track-Bushing-4-scaled.thumb.jpg.1436e23b85aa0aa4755593c1cd580bae.jpg

Bestoffercounts shows these on a Google search of GM bucket seat glides.

Bestoffercounts.com. "Power Seat Track Bushings"  They ain't cheap.

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

1 hour ago, crowvet said:

Beautiful, yes I finally got it. Took like 4 months. On the last update from them, I told them if it wasn't here by that date I wanted my $ back. They sent me two sets because they had it listed as a separate cushion and I ordered two. I got two sets. When I contacted them they paid to have them returned for a refund. never got a refund because they said their supplier changed the packaging from one cusion to two in a box and that their shipping dept didn't know so they pulled two. Therefore they said they didn't owe me a refund. I said really after 4 months and all the extra correspondence ect? They gave me a $25 credit on future parts

Daryle, that’s hilarious because they did the exact same thing to me on the front seat foam   Sent 2 sets....

Ed, yes, I searched all over before ordering from them. Everything I found from other vendors was the OPG part #. I even called several and was told they get them from OPG. So it seemed like the only option, I went for it

Your also correct that they do not produce or stock the foam. They said when I ordered, that then they order from manufacturer and will be in within 4 weeks....I’m going to follow up again since they didn’t call me back as they assured me they would. My upholstery guy can fab some Up but we thought if available it would be simpler/cheaper.  From what Clark’s  told me they never have had the rear seat foam. Sure wish they did as I would have bought everything from them. They were great to deal with and the black cloth covers look awesome. I’d just like to get them installed 🤣

Thanks everyone 

• Haha 1