Redoing my interior

crowvet

8 hours ago, 71GS said:

Daryle, that’s hilarious because they did the exact same thing to me on the front seat foam   Sent 2 sets....

Ed, yes, I searched all over before ordering from them. Everything I found from other vendors was the OPG part #. I even called several and was told they get them from OPG. So it seemed like the only option, I went for it

Your also correct that they do not produce or stock the foam. They said when I ordered, that then they order from manufacturer and will be in within 4 weeks....I’m going to follow up again since they didn’t call me back as they assured me they would. My upholstery guy can fab some Up but we thought if available it would be simpler/cheaper.  From what Clark’s  told me they never have had the rear seat foam. Sure wish they did as I would have bought everything from them. They were great to deal with and the black cloth covers look awesome. I’d just like to get them installed 🤣

Thanks everyone 

We should have kept them and sold them here to the others who will be waiting for 6 months. LOL

• Like 1

On 3/12/2020 at 9:39 PM, crowvet said:

That was my thought as well, I found my replacement on ebay for anyone looking.

Tom Telesco is correct...the rear console lens was cocave, NOT FLAT. The repros are flat because it is cheaper and easier to produce them....better than nothing I guess,

Tom Mooney

Thanks Ed! By coincidence my 1st e-mail on my new Google Pixel 3a was to bestoffercounts last night. I sent James a list and wasn't aware  of the set of 4 slides you posted.

You posting that image brightened things up for me. I was really disillusioned last night and seriously questioned if I should continue with this. Almost everything has been a struggle. 

Yet to find out how "Not Cheap" they are but those little bits are a show stopper. I did find another taped to the seat track so really missing 2 slides.

4 hours ago, XframeFX said:

Thanks Ed! By coincidence my 1st e-mail on my new Google Pixel 3a was to bestoffercounts last night. I sent James a list and wasn't aware  of the set of 4 slides you posted.

You posting that image brightened things up for me. I was really disillusioned last night and seriously questioned if I should continue with this. Almost everything has been a struggle. 

Yet to find out how "Not Cheap" they are but those little bits are a show stopper. I did find another taped to the seat track so really missing 2 slides.

Why not post a wanted list here? If you are building a Riviera this is a Riviera group,

Tom Mooney

You should get on the phone or email the guys who advertise "parts for sale" in the classified section of the Riview. Gene Guarnere, Steve Lorenzen, Larry Daisey, "Riviera" Bob Stemm, and others.  If you've never been to an ROA meet and looked through the boxes of obscure stuff they have, you're in for a treat.

($65 for four.)

Our Projects rely heavily on parts and differ from a Tri-Five or Camaro and Mustang where you could whip out your credit card and buy almost anything for them. Admittingly when I'm struggling, I just want to go that way to simply minimize bad luck which I've had a lot of. Hind-sight shows I did many things the hard way.

I thank the people here for insight some of which I already know but because of it, helps us all to relate to each other. Ed, thanks for your tips just now. I will follow through on those seat track slides.

I think part of my frustration is relying on those parts and hoping the next shipment will allow me to move ahead. I just now realize that more than half of those shipments whether new or used have been incorrect, missing parts or absolute junk! I already have enough parts to do another Riviera or 2.

The other part of my frustration has been those courier companies, UPS is the worst! They nail us Canadians with brokerage, conversion, holding and every imaginable processing fee! This is the reason I don't bother returning incorrect new parts.

My experience with Clark's has been very good. Products from  them has had a significant positive impact on my project!

ROA Meets, I'd love to attend but my geographical logistics has me at least 3-days drive from any of those events. Best to stick close to home and I met someone in this ROA Forum who resides in my city and has had a similar experience. He too put his '64 Riviera in a 25 year sleep while raising a family and has put only 1000 miles on it since the '90s! We haven't met in person but plan to at a local event in the summer.

Once the Interior is done, I can get back to doing what I really enjoy. I'm in my element doing mechanical work!

It's an adventure.  At the 2012 meet in Monterey, California , the long distance award went to a gentleman and his wife drove from Nova Scotia.  Google maps says that was only a 57 hour drive that covered about 6,200 KM 

- one way.  😁

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, RivNut said:

It's an adventure.  At the 2012 meet in Monterey, California , the long distance award went to a gentleman and his wife drove from Nova Scotia.  Google maps says that was only a 57 hour drive that covered about 6,200 KM 

- one way.  😁

That's a hike!

On 3/13/2020 at 9:51 PM, 71GS said:

Daryle, that’s hilarious because they did the exact same thing to me on the front seat foam   Sent 2 sets....

Ed, yes, I searched all over before ordering from them. Everything I found from other vendors was the OPG part #. I even called several and was told they get them from OPG. So it seemed like the only option, I went for it

Your also correct that they do not produce or stock the foam. They said when I ordered, that then they order from manufacturer and will be in within 4 weeks....I’m going to follow up again since they didn’t call me back as they assured me they would. My upholstery guy can fab some Up but we thought if available it would be simpler/cheaper.  From what Clark’s  told me they never have had the rear seat foam. Sure wish they did as I would have bought everything from them. They were great to deal with and the black cloth covers look awesome. I’d just like to get them installed 🤣

Thanks everyone 

We should have kept them and sold them here to the others who will be waiting for 6 months. LOL

Well, I finished my passenger front seat. Only took me 12 hours. I believe I have found a skill that I absolutely suck at. My carpet came out nice, my back seat not to bad. This seat looks very amateurish. Good thing the car is a driver. Ya, there will be no pictures of my recent progress if you want to call it that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Since this is a interior thread and I am sick of upholstery work. I have another question.... I bought new wood for my console and doors, it appears to be unfinished wood. Are you guys applying anything to the wood? Oil, varnish???

1 hour ago, crowvet said:

Since this is a interior thread and I am sick of upholstery work. I have another question.... I bought new wood for my console and doors, it appears to be unfinished wood. Are you guys applying anything to the wood? Oil, varnish???

Daryle, 

I'm a fan of oiled walnut. I’ve used Sam Maloof oil/ poly & oil/ wax finish on several woodworking projects. That is what I’m using on the new veneer in my car it’s easy and foolproof.  You can find it on rockler.com.  I got the dash and console finished up today. I’ll post some veneer pics for ya

Brian 

22 minutes ago, 71GS said:

Daryle, 

I'm a fan of oiled walnut. I’ve used Sam Maloof oil/ poly & oil/ wax finish on several woodworking projects. That is what I’m using on the new veneer in my car it’s easy and foolproof.  You can find it on rockler.com.  I got the dash and console finished up today. I’ll post some veneer pics for ya

Brian 

Awesome, Thanks Brian, I would love to see it. What did you glue it down with

2 minutes ago, crowvet said:

Awesome, Thanks Brian, I would love to see it. What did you glue it down with

Daryle, pics are above. For glue, it can get tricky. If you have a backed veneer, you can use a contact type adhesive. I bought some pretty specific veneer for the grain and figuring. It wasn’t paperbacked. I actually glued mine with wood veneer glue to a backed walnut veneer I had laying around. This way I could use 3m 77 contact adhesive spray. Doubling it up also made it less fragile. Definitely the long way around but I’m happy with it. I still have the front doors to do. 

Take your time& Good luck. 

29 minutes ago, 71GS said:

Side note, I totally recommend LED’s everywhere. Looking forward to actually seeing my speedometer at night. I ordered these from super bright leds.com

2535472A-46B9-4CEB-AB74-42C7FFEC90F3.jpeg

358C79D8-89E5-469C-8268-0E6AEF0A371F.jpeg

2C0F0792-72E5-47C0-A0D3-A05DBFA6E8B7.jpeg

Would you by chance have a list of what bulbs you ordered and how many?

• Like 1

Ed’s correct, side Veneer trim still needs striped. 
I plan on doing that once the door panels are done. 
As Seafoam states, there is veneer kits available from several sources that would be much simpler than what I did. I hand picked the veneer I wanted to use. 
Daryle, I think I still have the list of bulbs. I’ll check for you all. 
Brian

Moving on to my next little problem with my interior. I removed the console shifter plate to install the new wood grain. There are 4 screws that hold the PRNDL light housing. They are fine thread and tread into a speednut style 2 screw strap. Mine are rusty, and I would like to replace them, but cant seem to source. Thought about improvising with some long interior course thread screws???Anyone been there done that??? 

1 hour ago, crowvet said:

Moving on to my next little problem with my interior. I removed the console shifter plate to install the new wood grain. There are 4 screws that hold the PRNDL light housing. They are fine thread and tread into a speednut style 2 screw strap. Mine are rusty, and I would like to replace them, but cant seem to source. Thought about improvising with some long interior course thread screws???Anyone been there done that??? 

Are they beyond cleaning up? If so maybe make up some from sheet material with a couple fold over speed nut clips on the ends? 

Edited by 71GS (see edit history)

4 minutes ago, 71GS said:

Are they beyond cleaning up? If so maybe make up some from sheet material with a couple fold over speed nut clips on the ends? 

I just re-read my post, it is the screws I am looking for not the clips, guess I am forgetting how to properly communicate with all this social distancing.