Oldsmobile Neon Value

Robert G. Smits

I cannot see the condition very well but I believed this sign was cut down from an Oldsmobile sign.  I do not know of any factory sign from that era that simply says Olds.  However, I am now being thrown a curve by the possibility that the manufacturers name is on the right corner.  If this is a real sign it is  a first for me.   I have had a large collection of Oldsmobile signs over the years.  Would love to see a closer picture.    

• Like 1

Well, he never said it was porcelain.

I know nothing about signs, but I have a gut feeling about certain things, when you look at them they look right or they don't.

I don't think this is an old sign.  Might be over 30 years old, but it would need to be 70 years old to be original, and it just doesn't have the right look to it.

Just my opinion....a personal inspection would be well advised if someone were considering putting down real money on it.  Large dealership signs can go for 4000, 5000, or more, depending on marque and condition.

8 hours ago, barnett468 said:

That sign was not cut down, that is the original length and is virtually guaranteed to be a reproduction, so it might be worth $300.00 to $500.00 to somebody.

Even if it is a repro,  with working Neon that size,  I would be very happy to shell out $500 if that's where the consensus ends up for my garage.  I like original stuff but could use some Neon in the new shop and have plenty of wall space. 

• Like 1

I does not matter what it would cost to make it or what a retailer would ask for it.

Put it on Ebay and I bet you will not get an offer over $500.00. The reality is that people are not going to beat your friends door down to buy it, plus it is highly unlikely that someone will drive more than around 4 hours each way to buy it, and it would cost a boat load of money for someone to have it shipped to them.

Thanks for all the replies.  I have always thought this was probably a one-off that some one had made up and it could have been a dealer.  It certainly looks great hanging in his shop.  Like everything value is determined by what someone will pay.  If it goes to BJ in January who knows??

23 hours ago, trimacar said:

ust my opinion....a personal inspection would be well advised if someone were considering putting down real money on it.  Large dealership signs can go for 4000, 5000, or more, depending on marque and condition.

I personally saw a single sided Edsel Neon go for $18K in 2008 and it is still hanging in the buyers garage today.  Hagerty recently sold a Harley Davidson Neon for $65K and a Ford Jubilee Neon sign for $60K,   I think you could be suprised what a one of a kind repo could go for.  

I think it would depend on whether it's really old or 30 years or younger.  An original Sign custom made from back in the day would have alot more value than a Fantasy piece made later.  Sign values are all over the place on newer stuff,  but you are right on the right venue,  original dealer signs especially with Neon can command a pretty penny. 

I have a 40 Foot Neon Sign that Says Coach House.  It will end up in my new shop someday.   Fortunately all the letters are independent so it's disassembled and stored in the attic of my smaller garage. 

You can see a little of it in this photo.  They said it was made in the early 80s and would easily cost over 20G to make and that was over 10 years ago. The letters are all custom bent  Aluminum 3 dimensional cans. 

IMG_6828.JPG

• Like 1

In '57 I worked for a sign company that erected a custom made sign simply saying "OLDS" on two 35' poles for a dealer in Fairfax, Va. 
The purpose of this is that GM/Olds apparently didn't require any specific design, nor object to the shortening of "Oldsmobile" on signs to just "Olds".  The sign stayed up for years. 

Great looking piece, Dr. Bob ! Good luck with the sale. In fact, if I were an Oldsmobile collector, I would be strongly tempted. Particularly if my name started with the letter "O". I could see "Oldsmobile Oscar". Or maybe "Ollie Olds".  But that is not so in my case.                                          

Just plain :               -    Cadillac Carl 

CC I always admire the practicality of your posts.

14 hours ago, auburnseeker said:

40 Foot Neon Sign that Says Coach House.

I can't wait to see this hanging in your shop.  Could you move a little faster with the build!!!

On 10/24/2019 at 10:00 AM, barnett468 said:

Put it on Ebay and I bet you will not get an offer over $500.00.

The current offer from a dealer is $4K

1 hour ago, Robert G. Smits said:

The current offer from a dealer is $4K

Does the dealer know that there's doubt as to the

authenticity of the piece?  Or does he have specific

knowledge from having seen other examples?

It would be great if we can find other examples in

old photographs, for example.

13 minutes ago, padgett said:

Have an opinion but would like to know what it says in the lower right. Larger line and smaller line but cannot enlarge legibly.

I agree, have tried magnification to no avail.  Owner states that is appeared old when he bought it.  He will not be back home for four more weeks to take a close up.

3 hours ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

Does the dealer know that there's doubt as to the

authenticity of the piece?

I suspect the dealer has a buyer already or he has a good idea what this will go for at auction.  Antique car collectors tend to be purist's but many high rollers simply want something flashy and unusual.  There is a lot of cash money out there.  A friend of mine who specializes in Florida gulf front properties over one million dollars sells 90% for cash and these are second homes.

• 1 month later...

Just a follow up.  The sign is Porcelain and the signature on the lower right is General Neon Products, Beloit WI. and was manufactured in the late 40's or early 50's.  It sold on Live Auctioneers for $2250 plus a 15% buyers premium and the seller removed the round neon Oldsmobile Porcelain on the left upper side prior to the sale.  Thanks to everyone who replied.  Bob 

8 hours ago, Robert G. Smits said:

Just a follow up............the seller removed the round neon Oldsmobile Porcelain on the left upper side prior to the sale..........

Acknowledging that "beauty is in the eye of the beholder", I repeat that personally, I was extremely attracted to this neon. Obviously the purchaser was also, even in its abbreviated iteration. Now if I were a neon collector who just purchased the sign, the removed component would be worth at least as much again to bring back as original. Hmmmm.................   Just saying.    -    CC 

• 2 months later...