Yep....this guy got fired for climbing on show cars....

keiser31

He sort of forgot - "it is not his and you need to ask" - I assume if he wants to interview someone he just walks into their house, office, car, or ... and sits down and plops his feet up on their furniture, desk, dash, or ... - sorry it does not work that way nor ever will. 

By the way, his attitude was way off too - sort of deliberately dis-respectful verses just did not know better 

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)
  • Like 3

I am reminded of the stories old guys tell about working in service stations during the 1930's depression. They hung around with nothing to do and would help pick up and deliver cars for oil changes. I have heard many stories about beating the baker's big expensive car while delivering it.

Once I looked at a nice 60 Special Cadillac that had all the glass broken and body scratched up. I heard in a local diner that the neighbors vandalized the car because "it was too nice to be in their neighborhood".

There seems to be more of that attitude growing these days. It is not unconscious action.

If you have it and I don't, you must have taken it from me, that's the way I heard it.

Bernie (the one from western New York)

The President from the local chapter of an antique car club lives on the same block as my parents.  I drove the Studebaker to my folks house one Saturday to  pay a visit . I was sitting in the kitchen, and I heard doors slamming on the  Champion. I went out side to find the President of the car club sitting in the Studie . I asked him why was he sitting  in the car, and he said, " I knew you wouldn't mind, cause you know how I love old cars." I said '"I wish you would ask me first!" He got out of the car and slammed the door, smiled and said, "I love the sound of an old car door when it slams. They don't make them like that anymore!" He still wants to know why I won't join the local chapter. John

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Since we're telling stories about inconsiderate people, here's mine.

At a Florida West Coast AACA Region show in the 1970's,  I displayed my 1934 ford Tudor with a metal 3 flag holder secured under the

Greyhound hood ornement.  A judge I will forever call A-- H--- came by while I was away from the car.   He decided that he would open the

hood to see the flathead V8.  When He did, the hood lifted the flag holder up, gouging the paint and knocking the Greyhound to the

pavement breaking off the the front leg of the Greyhound.

When I heard what happened, I confronted A-- H--- and was told I should have left my hood open.  That spoiled local AACA Regions for me

for 20 years.  A-- H--- became the president of the Region in Tampa and I'll never forgive him.  I don't blame AACA because A-- H---s are

everywhere and the other people I've met in this club are super people an have become lifetime friends.  DO NOT TOUCH OR JUDGE.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I know the chapter of the local antique car club John S. told about. That club seems to have always had a population of "we are the best " attitude and even inside the club itself you have to belong to one of the clicks ( ie important "in crowd") to be one of the "favored ones". I first went to several monthly meetings of that particular chapter in the 1960s, but even as a teenager just could not stand the "BETTER THEN THOU" attitude.

Some people just have to feel they are important so are allowed to do whatever they want and we should all accept it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Good Day Sacramento is a very good morning show I used to watch often. It showed you all kinds of things happening around town, took you to new restaurants you might like to try. Cars shows, the fair, etc... Has good entertaining hosts. Too bad this happened though.

My first encounter with disrespectful car show spectators was when I attended an event that was stretched along the historic section of a main street in a rural town.   I entered in the show an original 1929 Studebaker Commander sedan that is called today a “survivor.”   I walked away to look at some of the cars on display and when I return to my car I walked upon a scene that I could never have imaged.  I witnessed a family of five, mom, dad, and three children at my car.  The father was holding one child who was about four up to the passenger front door window and the child had ahold of the door and was kicking it with his feet trying to climb through the open window as his father held him.  The oldest child had climbed up onto the hood of my Studebaker and was squirming around on the hood while trying to look in through the windshield.   The mother had the third and youngest child in a stroller near the front fender smiling at her cute precocious children enjoying getting up close and personal with an antique car.   As I walked up to my car I yelled at the parents to get their children off of my car.  The parent’s reaction was to express their shock at how rude I was to yell at them and their children.  They did not think that their children did anything wrong and that they were just trying to get a better look at an old car.   I rarely go to car shows and prefer to participate in driving tours.  If you keep your car moving some people’s kids can’t climb on your collector car. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, John S. said:

The President from the local chapter of an antique car club lives on the same block as my parents.  I drove the Studebaker to my folks house one Saturday to  pay a visit . I was sitting in the kitchen, and I heard doors slamming on the  Champion. I went out side to find the President of the car club sitting in the Studie . I asked him why was he sitting  in the car, and he said, " I knew you wouldn't mind, cause you know how I love old cars." I said '"I wish you would ask me first!" He got out of the car and slammed the door, smiled and said, "I love the sound of an old car door when it slams. They don't make them like that anymore!" He still wants to know why I won't join the local chapter. John

This reminds me of a guy in one of our local clubs and why I keep all my cars locked when not in attendance.  'RR' would go outside while we are having our meeting.  He would open cars and crawl inside then proceed to play with knobs & buttons.  I arrived late one day to see him doing this.  When I questioned what he was doing RR gave an excuse that he was just looking at the car.  The next couple meetings I watched him and every time he snuck out during a meeting I would have to go out to my vehicle too. 

As mentioned, because of him and people like him, I have been in the habit of always keeping my cars locked.  When RR is around, this results in nose & hand prints on windows but at least it keeps him outside and not in. 

Did TWICE mail him information on 'Car Show Etiquette' which I put together and explains about DO NOT TOUCH OTHER CARS WITHOUT OWNER'S PERMISSION.  I think the second time it may have finally hit home (especially since I put his name on it and asked him to study this info)  as he now appears to be a bit more respectful and ASKS during the time we are outside kicking tires before the meeting starts. 

2019_10_26_08_20_56_Car_Show_Etiquette_No_Touching_Please.pdf_Adobe_Acrobat_Reader_DC.jpg

• Like 1

For the last 4 years or so, I have printed signs these signs and tape them to the glass on my Pierce when I am at a show.

Most people respect the car, some do not.

Please Do Not Touch

This car still has its original paint and interior. The finish and interior have survived for 90 years and are very fragile.

Thank you.

• Like 2

On the flip side of the coin - my nephew and his best friend can be seen through the windshield - they were catching up on their iPad time. They had the jump seats folded down and declared them the best footrests ever and a back seat better than any lounge chair.    And, the only real rule is no food and no beverages other than water in the cars.  They commented that they heard people walking by say that they should not be in the car.  The day we cannot touch one is the day that car goes out the door.  I do throw a shipping blankets over the seats when I have the Airedale in a car.

21586726_10155892619992189_3773826217136459555_o.jpg.1eaeabf122d7ec336b16f8d0a4bd215d.jpg

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)