What is this and why does does it have a vacuum line on it?

Clane422

6 minutes ago, pont35cpe said:

Maybe John(Keiser31)will know. He is hardly ever stumped..

Must be nice to never be stumped lol i had a vacuum ashtray took me forever to figure it out. Im 30 so a lot of this stuff is new to me. I love classic cars and all the history that comes with them. I especially really dig the gm accessories. The stuff they came up was simple but brilliant.

Im sure its a washer wiper nozzle. It would explain all the extra washer parts...a push button switch, this nozzle, some strange looking port thing with "vacuum" fittings on it that i have yet to identify and of course rubber house connected to a splitter

5 minutes ago, roysboystoys said:

I agree , my first thought.

Same, on the back is a wing nut on a threaded tube i thought maybe when vacuum was cut off by somehow touching the holes on the "eyes" ( i now know to be jets)  it would unlock the trunk or something....i have a trico vacuum trunk unlock diaphragm in the same box so i thought it may have been related. 😆 putting to much thought into some of this stuff sometimes

Edited by Clane422
To add how hilarious my original idea sounds (see edit history)

4 hours ago, auburnseeker said:

Looks like a windshield washer squirter to me.  Just a guess. 

I tend to agree with this. It looks almost like a Cal-Custom party for hot rod guys since it has the ribs....

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, keiser31 said:

I tend to agree with this. It looks almost like a Cal-Custom party for hot rod guys since it has the ribs....

Thank you sir. Im with y'all on this one it is most definitely a washer nozzle/jet. Oh great and powerful keiser31 can i ask you something else? Is that part. With the tubes coming out of it thats kinda shaped like a bell in the second set of pictures i posted a washer pump? I doubt my 65 gto has a washer wiper so i may try to use what i have to make it have washer wipers.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Bloo said:

I think thats a fuel shutoff for some sort of motorcycle.

I agree and would also add that it also incorporates a "reserve" as indicated by the extended tube.  If you look closely you might be able to see the notations "On", "Off" and "Res" for reserve around the  valve handle.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Enclosed is a picture of a foot plunger probably out of a 50's car. I could picture a tube coming from the nipple sticking out of it to a fitting like your frog-eyed one. There would have been a tee in the tube with a branch line to a reservoir hanging on the inner fender panel or firewall. That tube would have a check valve in it to let the washer fluid run out of the reservoir and fill the tubing but not let it go back in. So when the plunger was pushed down with the foot,the liquid would be forced up through the spray nozzle and onto the windshield. Turn the wipers on and have what would hope to be a clean windshield. I believe the plunger to be a factory installed item since it even has undercoating on the bottom.

IMG_5920.JPG

On 8/30/2019 at 4:39 PM, Clane422 said:

Here are a few of the other parts i was speaking of 

15671975130143787615981851092604.jpg

That middle piece is the funnel from the inside oil line between the transmission area to the front cover of a Model T Ford... it should have a tube brazed on the end... how is that for somewhat useless knowledge?

• Like 1