model8125

1929 Peerless 8125 For Sale

Selling 1929 8 cylinder - 7 passenger sedan with 138 in. W.B. Car runs and is driven on tours and to local shows. Recognized by the CCCA as a true classic. Original continental engine with 66.000 miles on odometer. Email me for more details at knightnewt@gmail.com  Asking $22,000 US

John

Ontario, Canada

DSC00477 (2).JPG

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I was thinking the same thing.  I wonder how much getting it across the border ads to the asking price? Unfortunately I'm not in the market but makes one start thinking. 

No cost to repatriate a car to the US. Just shipping, but if you can go pick it up yourself, you'll get a lot of car for the money.

In fact, my brother-in-law is in the area, I may dispatch him to examine the car for me...

• Like 3

Would that be for yourself Matt? Looks like it would be one that one might want to keep a while.  You might not want to part with it right away. 

Well, I've already got a big, green 1929 4-door. But at that price, and given that Americans are skittish about bringing cars in from Canada, and the fact that I have family up there, and I can go get it myself, well, gears are certainly turning...

11558601386_50a08012a8_b.thumb.jpg.9ac4b6fce5b19f27afcee9900a2db50f.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Great car..........very rare. Parts are beyond impossible. If you buy it and need anything give me a call.🤫

4 hours ago, Tom Laferriere said:

That is a great car for reasonable money.  

I agree.   You can go to any CCCA Grand Classic and have the only one, all for 22k

We need Walt to give us a report on the restoration progress of the Custom Eight that you sold way back when.   I believe that was my lucky first communication with you.

42 minutes ago, alsancle said:

We need Walt to give us a report on the restoration progress of the Custom Eight that you sold way back when.   I believe that was my lucky first communication with you.

February 16, 2011 at 10:55AM

42 minutes ago, Tom Laferriere said:

February 16, 2011 at 10:55AM

Ahhh,  memories...

Posted (edited)

This was Peerless' top-of-the line luxury model for 1929. About as many were built as Duesenberg's entire production: 1,100, six or seven 8-125s remain, counting cars & rumors of cars.
The only Peerless identical to the one The Creative Workshop of Florida restored in 2016(shown at Boca Raton['16, '19], Concours d'Elegance of America['16], the Elegance at Hershey['17], and Amelia Island['18]). CCCA Classic. More horsepower, 114, than all 9 GM makes of 1929. This one has also been in some films. 

Edited by jeff_a (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

The last time an Eight-125 Peerless was for sale -- Hemmings Motor News in 2006 -- the ad elicited a letter to the editor from someone in Indiana:

"I happened to see a classified photo-ad for a 1929 Peerless in June HMN. We have all heard of the 'Three P's--Packard, Pierce-Arrow and Peerless.' I have certainly seen a ton of  Packard articles and photos and more than a few related to Buffalo's best, Pierce-Arrow. But I have never seen an article devoted to Peerless. Couldn't even tell you where they were built, or when the company went belly-up. The small black-and-white ad photo shows quite a road locomotive. After a good deal of head-scratching, that may be the only photo of a Peerless I have ever seen." -Rick L. Fines, Logansport, IN, 8/1/06

I would love to own it.  I had a bad experience importing a car from Canada, with a paid non responsive shipper.  I ended up losing nearly $4,000 trying to get the car to me in Iowa, a 1942 Packard 180 7p car.  Might be apples and oranges, but since I can not go get the car myself and would be reliant on others, it's probably a deal breaker for me.

I believe the Peerless that alsancle is talking about  was sold by Tom Laferriere  to a friend of mine , Matt Lynch,  of Garden  City, Long Island.. Matt sold the Peerless last year to Steve Babinsky of Lebanon, New Jersey. Thanks. John

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 7/17/2019 at 11:32 AM, edinmass said:

Great car..........very rare. Parts are beyond impossible. If you buy it and need anything give me a call.🤫

Correct me if I'm wrong -- but I think Ed is the only one in this discussion who has seen this green 8-125's maroon double at one of the four Concours I mentioned....so knows what the potential is for someone wanting to take it to that level. John was looking for a 1960s car, but a friend who has Graham-Paiges recommended he buy it for the great engine, so he did about 12 years ago. The 12K/14K Continental 322 was shared by Graham-Paige, Peerless, Jordan, Du Pont, and Elcar. He started taking it to shows and tours in Canada and the word got around about this one example of 8-125s in the world that was being shown. He even made it to one of the AACA Spring events in Stowe, VT. A lot of people were shocked it wasn't on the Classic Car Club's list of Classics, and the qualities of this particular car + the owner's persistence led to the models acceptance.

The maroon 8-125 7-P Sedan was shown at:

• Boca Raton 2016, 2019 
  • Concours d'Elegance of America 2016 
  • the Elegance at Hershey 2017
  • Amelia Island 2018

Posted (edited)
On 7/18/2019 at 10:56 AM, B Jake Moran said:

I would love to own it.  I had a bad experience importing a car from Canada, with a paid non responsive shipper.  I ended up losing nearly $4,000 trying to get the car to me in Iowa, a 1942 Packard 180 7p car.  Might be apples and oranges, but since I can not go get the car myself and would be reliant on others, it's probably a deal breaker for me.

Did you see that someone else brought it(the Packard) to Massachusetts and sold it? A dealer in N. Andover. I'm a little surprised that the car really exists. It seemed like a scam to me, particularly since it was advertised, among other places, on a Russian site that skims photos of cars and tries to get money for them. I found a picture on the web under "42 Packard" that could be the same car. I don't think Packard ever built a larger car, at 4,770 pounds and 148-inches of wheelbase.

1942-packard-180

No Scam,

E-mail worked for me.

I talked to John on the telephone.

Nice gentleman.

Dennis

Not a scam, I, too, have corresponded with John who was very helpful. Make sure you're typing it in correctly?

Posted (edited)

I know John, too. Like I was telling someone last week, he bought this about 2007 after it was advertised in Hemmings. He was looking for a 60s car but an older friend who's big on Graham-Paiges recommended he get it solely because of the great engine. The Continental 322 Eight was also used by Graham-Paige, Elcar, Du Pont & Jordan. He got to take it to some tours and shows and found out it performed really well. On one Antique & Classic Car Club of Canada tour, there was a slow group and a fast group and he was warned the leader of the fast group was a real speed demon who drove a Ford V-8, and no one could ever keep up with him. John and his wife stayed on his tail the whole tour. That's when he decided he should replace his 50-year-old tires.

I did not mean to disparage anyone, especially this seller. Happy to hear of his credibility. Yes, I have the correct email address. My iPad says “not valid” when I hit send. That happens periodically when the server is gmail. I sent an email via another computer and it went OK. Time for a new iPad..........