1913 International Harvester

I've been looking for a while now for something like this.

It's a 1913 International Harvester .

My father-in-law is a real expert on these things. I have taken him to look at it and he told me that it would depreciate as soon as i bought it. Because International Harvester originally shipped these things with a V-3 engine. So it has been modified, possibly illegally. 

Any chance anyone has an original V-3 engine should i buy this?

Starvagabond, can you tell me what a V-3 engine is? I have had a number of IHC's, currently have three but only one high wheel, and I have never heard of a V-3 engine. The water cooled two-cylinder engine on this one looks correct to me. Mine is very similar except air-cooled. Also, why would this car vehicle depreciate? There appears to be quite a demand for high wheel automobiles right now. If I did not have three IHC's I would bid on it in a heartbeat.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Starvagabond said:

My father-in-law is a real expert on these things.

Is he truly an expert--one who has owned a high-wheeler,

or several high-wheelers?

True experts can be very helpful.  Other times, people say

they are experts, but their knowledge is questionable.

On another thread, one family member advised a guy

not to buy a 1970's Pontiac Grand Prix because parts would

be hard to find!  We assured him that it was okay.

• Like 1

Current bid is $6600? If he could get it for twice that it would be for half what it is worth!  The OP sounds suspicious. I think he needs to learn a bit more before spending too much. I seriously doubt that the BaT seller would let it go for under $25K. The last one of those I saw for sale near that nice was I think a bit over-priced at about $40K. The OP certainly needs to find some better experts to listen to.

I just wanted to comment further. This looks to be a very nice example of the IHC model MW. I have known a few owners of these, they make one of the best two cylinder tour cars for HCC one and two cylinder tours. Relatively fast (30ish max), a bit rough riding, but not bad. Carry all the picnic supplies you need, and fairly reliable (again relative to other cars of the era). I came close to buying one about fifteen years ago. 

One can never be certain without close inspections, but it looks like one of the nicest IHC MWs I have ever seen.

I just had to go through some of those pictures again. Wish I could afford something like this.

Additional historic note. 1913 is the first year for the MW, which stands for "Motorwagon" "Water-cooled". Before 1913, all IHCs were air-cooled, and no such designation was used. The two models both only continued a short time, but the air-cooled model was called the "MA", for "Motorwagon" "Air-cooled". This particular configuration continued through 1915 with some modifications, including the wheels getting smaller which hurt their look appeal for us today, as they worked toward a more conventional truck design. The Motorwagons were intended to be both family car and ranch truck. Almost like being the first crossover SUV.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 1913 International Harvester MW and am having trouble starting it with the crank.   Starts with a tow seems to run and drive well, but cannot start it with the crank, have heard there is a spring assist to carry it over?  ny suggestions

V-3 hummmm my good friend the late George Norton , former AACA President and one half of the team that did the annual truck seminar at the AACA annual meeting along with Austin Clark , who was the other half - well dear old George always claimed he had the one and only Cosgrove V - 7. Does anyone else remember him saying that at the AACA annual meetings 35- 40+ years ago?

44 minutes ago, Dodge 16 said:

I have a 1913 International Harvester MW and am having trouble starting it with the crank.   Starts with a tow seems to run and drive well, but cannot start it with the crank, have heard there is a spring assist to carry it over?  ny suggestions

Are you possibly referring to an impulse spring in the magneto ? Lots of tractors and other hand cranked engines use them.