Sad News

hddennis

A question asked on here this morning brought sad news to our hobby:

George Paul Bachleda, of Olcar Bearing Company passed away peacefully Sunday, May 26, 2019.

George had an uncanny ability to find bearings for our cars others said were impossible to get.

Several days ago I ran into an electrical problem and emailed my friend Chris who had gone above and beyond to help me and other restorers and asked nothing in return.So unlike Chris I got no reply and checked on the forum to find he hadn't visited in months. Google turned up why:

Chris Wantuck, known as Friartuck on the forum passed away March 8, 2019.

I'll miss the help from both but most of all I'll miss the great conversations we had discussing our passions for antique cars.

Howard Dennis

• Like 1

I knew Chris - Friartuck through the AACA . When you asked Chris a question he would go all out trying to help you out . I mentioned to Chris I was trying to duplicate a Reo Royale trunk and he gave me all sorts of pointers and even included a picture of the trunk in his publication the Second Chance Garage . 

http://www.secondchancegarage.com/how-to/trunk-pt-1-1.cfm

I believe Chris had a Military background .

Here is an example of Chris's work trying to help out my group of Reo Royale owners . He new all about computer scanning and the right people to have it made .

Edited by Mark Gregory (see edit history)

51 minutes ago, Penske PC-7 said:

A great guy. As others have said, Chris would always go the extra mile to help a fellow enthusiast. RIP.

So true.  Chris had an insatiable appetite to learn about all sorts of processes and the only other person I ever knew who was very sincere about learning was past AACA President (deceased) Ron Barnett.  Prior to retiring 2 years ago I spent 46 years in the sand casting and machining business.  Chris and I met through this forum and one day he asked if I could get him some green sand (molding sand).  Had some guys at our  squeezer molding facility load about 200 pounds in a container that was still warm out of the muller.  Went on a sales trip to S. Jersey.  Met Chris at one of my industrial accounts parking lot in Wall, NJ.  Backed up our pickups so the tailgates were quasi even figuring we would just manhandle the barrel by sliding it onto Chris' truck.  What a carrying on that turned out to be.  Some of the guys from my customer came out with a forklift.  

Chris wanted to experiment with the sand to cast some parts.  That's when we spent a lot of time on the phone as did trial and error.  

Great memories with the guy.  A true loss as many of you expressed.

Peter J.

12 hours ago, Mark Gregory said:

Here is an example of Chris's work trying to help out my group of Reo Royale owners

We exchanged messages about that piece. I believe he drew it up in Inkscape; we discussed the process. I am very glad they came out well. He was fastidious.

I wonder if he finished the Lincoln restoration.

On 6/22/2019 at 2:56 PM, Mark Gregory said:

I knew Chris - Friartuck through the AACA . When you asked Chris a question he would go all out trying to help you out . I mentioned to Chris I was trying to duplicate a Reo Royale trunk and he gave me all sorts of pointers and even included a picture of the trunk in his publication the Second Chance Garage . 

http://www.secondchancegarage.com/how-to/trunk-pt-1-1.cfm

I believe Chris had a Military background .

Here is an example of Chris's work trying to help out my group of Reo Royale owners . He new all about computer scanning and the right people to have it made .

Chris' 1930 Lincoln....

1930 Lincoln.jpg

Thank you all for your thoughts.  I only knew the name not the man but he has left AACA his beloved Lincoln and a very sizeable donation.  One of the biggest ever to the club.  Obviously he was a great supporter and will be missed by so many of you.  Sad that after all these years of seeing his posts I only know now who he really was.

Chris was a civilian employee of the military. For a while it looked like he was going to be transferred to a post near us at Aberdeen Proving Grounds. He was looking for land down here but when he realized the zoning would be a hassle he decided to stay in Jersey. I never heard even an inkling that he was ill. I believe he was 57 years old or thereabouts.

Chris Wantuck spent 29 years as an Electrical Engineer with the US Army's Communications Engineering Research Center, Fort Monmouth, New Jersey. His formal education started with vocational courses in mechanical drawing and industrial electronics. He holds a Bachelor's Degree in Electrical Engineering from Pratt Institute, Brooklyn, New York and a Master's Degree from Stevens Institute of Technology, Hoboken, New Jersey.

Spanning over a 30 year period, he has researched and used various antique automobile restoration methods and techniques. A self taught amateur machinist, small parts projects include radiator and gas caps, door strike enclosures, unique covers, and tail light lenses and brackets.

Chris is a member of the Classic Car Club of America (CCCA), Metropolitan Region CCCA, the Antique Automobile Club of America (AACA), Gettysburg Region AACA, the Lincoln Owners Club (LOC), and the Antique Motoring Club of Monmouth County (AMCOMC). Chris served as the CCCA Technician for model L Lincolns from 2003 till 2010.

Sad news about George.  Over the past 25 years I never brought him anything easy, and he never failed to find what I was after. I could give him a ninety year old part number for a very odd bearing from an orphan car, and a week later a new one would magically appear in my mailbox with an invoice.  He was a unique  resource to our hobby.  I will miss him.