1930 LaSalle 340 Coupe

Cool car,  long expensive road ahead for the next caretaker.  I hate to say it but I wouldn't be surprised if it ended up as a rod.   Hopefully if that's the case they do it tastefully and spend some money to make it grand,  not just a bunch of cheap junkyard stuff so it ends up like the rest of the half finished carcasses littering craigslist. 

• Like 1

Those years of LaSalle are one of my absolute favorite looking cars. I don’t know why, but I have always wanted a similar 27-31 LaSalle. That said, the car doesn’t have hardly any wood left in the body which has to be one of the most expensive things to have done without something left for patterns. If there’s enough to go by, a good woodworker could save it if he’s doing it for himself and for fun, he would have to be doing it for love and never even expect to break even on its cost. BUT if there’s nothing for a pattern it needs to be done by someone who specializes in the wood and it’s going to take longer if he needs to create as he goes. If I hit the lottery and didn’t care about the cost, I would probably still buy a better one.

Even at the opening bid, it most likely will never get done even as a rod because of the wood. I think it would become a parts car pieced out for other better projects....

• Like 1

On 6/7/2019 at 9:04 AM, bdc said:

Are those high compression heads?

Yes, that's what HC stands for on Cadillac and LaSalle heads of that vintage, although the term is laughable by today's standards and was relative. The HC heads produced a compression ratio of 5.35:1. There WAS a low compression head offered for areas like South America where the fuel was REALLY bad. They were around 5.00:1. The LC heads are the rare ones.

If I also did not have a project on the go I would also be interested. Most of the wood is there for patterns and the sheet metal looks good from the pictures. The expensive things are the motor build and the shiny bright stuff. Good parts are also getting scarce for this vintage of projects. 

It has no reserve so see if it sells at that price.

Edited by Joe in Canada (see edit history)

13 hours ago, bdc said:

I'm talking about making it look original. Not something where the only original part that's left on the car is the hood ornament. 

If the wood can be hidden by the upholstery, steel can be too.  

2 hours ago, mercer09 said:

well worth the opening bid, for parts..................

Absolutely!! Several years ago I restored a 1931 Cadillac convertible coupe from a  basket case. ( Never again!!) In the process, I was desperate for parts. Two sedan parts cars were acquired - one in Florida and one in Ohio. I'm in Virginia. I was thrilled to find them and  gladly paid more for each of them than the starting bid on the subject car. I'm surprised that this car wasn't gone via a BIN deal on the first day. The transmission alone will bring around $1600. You would certainly be in backwards restoring this car, but I'm surprised that if nothing else, a Cadillac/LaSalle owner hasn't bought it for spares for his running/driving car at that price. Trans, distributor, carb and water pump add up to more than $2500.

31 convertible coupe 5.jpg

ccp on boat trailer.JPG

1931 ccp 7.JPG

Town Sedan 4.jpg

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

Yes, this is really a serious project car. 

Mine at the moment of their discovery in Southern CA was just in a bit better condition. Parking outside for at least +50 years. But I had to replace almost all the wood anyway.  

post-37352-143138371028_thumb.jpg

• 11 months later...