What to do with 1939 Ford Standard

bwiab

Hello Fine People,

Found this forum by typing in that question to google. I've enjoyed cars for a long time but not a wrencher. 

I've recently come into possesion of a 39 ford and am wondering what to do with it. My dad bought it around 1973 and drove it home. My sister has had it for many years but wasn't able to get it running again. I don't have many details on the current condition of the car but she was going to send me a bunch of pictures. I'll post them when I get them. I do know that it has been kept in the garage for all those years but not more than that.

I'd like to get the car up and running this year just because its been pushed off by so many in my family for so long. That being said I'd probably have to partner up to share costs but that also means selling it at some point. Any creative ideas on how to bring this guy back life? Any idea on how to start a budget for this project?

Much appreciated!

Welcome to the forum. Lots of friendly folks here will be happy to give their opinions on your car after you post more info and pictures. Your location would be helpful as this forum has members all over the world. There may be someone close to you that could be very helpful.  Looking forward to more info.

• Thanks 1

It’s really impossible to answer your question until we can see some photos and get a handle on the condition of the car.  It could be anything from a solid original that you could get running with minimum effort and then enjoy as a preservation car, to a total rust bucket that would better serve as a parts car.  If you have a convertible or coupe, it may be worth restoring, but a sedan is not really worth that much.  In most cases you will never get back the cost of a quality restoration when it comes time to sell.

• Like 3

You don't post where you are located, but I'm sure that there is a V-8 Ford Club in your area. I would contact them and invite several members to view your car and give you some advice. As Taylor mentions, pictures will be helpful, it could be a"parts car" or something you can just tune up and have fun with.

• Like 2

Unless you have some experience of old cars the best thing you can do is not mess with it. Anyone on this board has stories of decent old cars that were ruined by amateur repair work, done with the best intentions.

It won't hurt to wash it and pump up the tires. As others have said, give us some pictures to go by. Don't throw anything away, those odd bits of metal and rubber that couldn't be a for your car, always turn out to be some irreplaceable part.

If I was there I could probably have it running in a few hours. Can give you some pointers if you wish. Don't try to start it or turn it over.

At minimum you will need to change the oil and get a battery and some gasoline. After that some cleaning and adjusting, probably no new parts needed. Do not go tearing everything apart until you diagnose it and find out exactly what it needs.

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)
  • Like 4

as Rusty said. Because you are talking budget and sharing expenses, you would be most likely best off by doing the minimum and selling the car.

sounds to me like that is what your plans are anyway and if you have a very small budget, not worth going too far with this.

if on the other hand, you plan to keep the car, that's another story.

• Like 1

I would start by trying to turn the engine over by hand. If it will turn over, with a wrench on the crankshaft, I would then drop the oil pan, clean out the goo, reinstall with new gaskets and fill with fresh 10W30 motor oil. Next step would be to disconnect the fuel line, generally check over the engine for loose wires, missing parts, coolant in radiator etc. If everything seems ok, take out the spark plugs, squirt a little oil down the holes and turn over by hand. If it will turn 2 full turns, put in a battery and try to turn it over on the starter. If it turns, check that the plugs are firing. If not, clean the points, check for power at the distributor and coil, or whatever it takes to get spark. Clean and gap the plugs and put them back in. At this point I would connect a temporary gas supply to the carburetor and see if it will take gas, and not flood. If everything seems ok, try to start it. If the carb is flooding or not working it is time to get a carb kit and overhaul the carb. That is pretty much it. If you have spark, gas, and compression the engine has to start, it has no choice. If no compression that is another problem.

If it will run it is time to lubricate the chassis and check brakes and tires.

• Thanks 1

Hey Guys. Thanks for all your thoughts. I realize it's a super vague question especially without photos. Never thought about the minimum resto work just to get it running. That's a great idea if it's in the cards. 

Sounds like my sister has it stored somewhere... she won't be able to send me pics until this weekend. Car is in wisconsin. Milwaukee area. I'm in Arvada, north suburb of denver. Was planning on towing it out here in August but may not be worth it depending on condition. My sister was able to convey the following.

The mounts to mount the real axel to the frame are missing. It is strapped together with ratchet straps. Parts are missing from the transfer case flywheel housing area and were not with the vehicle. Metal is in bad shape with lots of bondo. Motor turned once but hasn't budged since we took it from dad's house. Turned by hand  using a ratchet to move the cylinders. Braces for the fenders are rotted in half. And there's no title. It's the two door coupe.

Towing this car anywhere would be a waste of time and money.  Way too much work - finding parts, metal restoration...  sell it for parts or to someone who really wants a challenge (good luck with that).  No title, bad rust, not running - you’ve hit the trifecta.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Taylormade said:

... sell it for parts or to someone who really wants a challenge (good luck with that).  No title, bad rust, not running - you’ve hit the trifecta.

Agreed.  It doesn't sound at all worth restoring,

even for experienced folks, much less for a newcomer

to begin.  Someone may appreciate it for its parts,

to help another car become roadworthy or restored.

Old cars are an enjoyable hobby, and you can find

some makes and models for $5000 to $10,000

in nice condition--looking perhaps just a few years old

and running and driving perfectly.  Try your hand at

owning one of those if you will, and enjoy it, rather than

jumping into a huge project.

Thanks for all your input! I'm still waiting on pics but definitely leaning towards sell as is. I was thinking about the car and when my dad bought it in 73-ish it was only 34 years old and it RAN! I started thinking what car that is only 34 years old right now (or there abouts) would be a good one to buy instead... I'm leaning towards a late 70s 2nd gen chevy camaro... what do you think? What 30 year old car would you scoop up? 

In 1984 I was in the Quad Cities area from western New York for a progress inspection of a boiler being built at the Keewanee Boiler Co. It was night and I had looked up the location of adult bookstores to find the seedy part of town. I knew some second rate used car lots would be near that area. Under the mercury vapor lights I spotted a sharp looking '76ish full sized Mercury Marquis. One of the Nirvana moments, I had been doing things with old cars since I was a kid, trying to make old shoddy ones "like new". I realized that I always noticed and was drawn to a clean 10-15 year old car with the right colors. At the time I thought, why not make the 10-15 year old, well maintained car be my standard and goal for my hobby cars. A few years before I had bought a 15 year old Riviera as a keeper. I took the plan to heart and for the past 40 years have been striving for that clean 10 year old look. My experience could not have been better. More time driving, less time working, and an overall lack of stress and anxiety.

I have owned the '64 Riviera for over 40 years now, a 15 year old when purchased.

My '60 Buick was 40 years old when I bought it, the oldest, but in that kind of condition.

I have a very clean '94 Impala SS that was 17 years old when I bought it.

And  last year I bought and 15 year old flagship BMW.

There have always been really nice cars in that age range and you can find ones that have just the "specialness" that excites you in particular.

Years go by fast. This year the Chevy turned 25 and the insurance dropped some. I remember thinking how far away the 25 birthday of the '64 Riviera would be.

I like big luxury cars. There are some great deals on those. There are some great sports cars at the other end of the spectrum. I like the Boxsters, some are approaching 20 years now.

Find what you like, learn how to fix it, buy good tools, get familiar with OBDII (that could be your worst experience).

I have written that there is a lot of dogma in the old car hobby. Learn to recognize it and where it comes from. It makes me remember my Mother saying "Don't track that into the house on your shoes".

Take a Sunday afternoon and check out some of the back row used car lots. It is hard not to find one stand up car with eyes. And if you don't find the right car, you can always check out the bookstores.

Bernie

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...

A hot rodder would probably buy it.  Unless there is any other significant rust than the floor rust shown, I would think you should be able to get 3500 for it.  It's hard to say without better photos.  A restorer won't want it probably but I imagine a hot rodder would grab it in that range.  That would get you into or close to a driveable (not show quality)  late 70's Camaro or Firebird. Put some money with it and upgrade.  You may even be able to swap this as it's a hot rodders favorite. 

Before putting a price on it,  I would just try swapping it. Sometimes you might come way out ahead,  but a cash out price would be in my guess around what I quoted.  The type of guy interested in this to make a hot rod,  very likely would be the same guy that has or know of a Camaro they may beable to horse trade for. 

Edited by auburnseeker (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Your original plan (of fixing up the car) sounded half-hearted at best.  I see nothing but misery.  Just get rid of it for whatever you can get.

As to your idea of getting something from the 70's:  I'd advise you to get hold of any many car books as you can, with photos of all the cars of the 70's.  Pick out a handful that look really good to you.  Then get yourself to an antique car show near you (if indeed you're looking for an authentic car of the era, not a street rod), and see if you can spot any cars on display there, that are on your short list.  Then, look those cars over carefully and talk to the owners about the pluses and minuses of owning them,of  keeping them running, and of finding parts.  Ask them what these cars generally sell for nowadays.  In other words, do a bit of research.  Then you can consult sources like Hemmings Motor News as well as Ebay, Craigslist and the many car sites on the internet, to see what cars may be available near you. 

It would be a shame NOT to research the different cars available in the era you seek.  Just think how you'd feel if you bought the first thing that caught your eye only to discover (after thousands of dollars and hundreds of hours invested) that there was some car that was way cooler than what you now own.  One which you didn't even know existed, and which you now wish you'd bought instead.

When you go shopping, look for something that runs and looks to be in good condition.  Since you're only a newbie, don't get into restoring something that needs a lot of work.  You'll end up five years later with a dismantled car that's taking up space in your garage, into which you've poured thousands, and which you have yet to drive.  Life is too short.  Pay a little more and get something decent, so you can hop right into it and have fun.

Oh, yeah: and don't buy something sight-unseen, just because someone sends you a glowing description and a beautiful photo.  Tragedy lurks.

• Like 2

Remember they are late 70's cars so that eliminates a whole lot of cars that were cool in earlier eras and are mere shells of what they once represented for the manufactures.  I can only think of cars like the Olds starfire, once Olds's sporty car that finally gave it's swan song in the 70's as a revamped Vega. 

They almost killed the mustang with the Mustang II until they finally came around with the fox body and started going back the other way.  Seems the same with many makes. Tbird which turned into a slightly smaller Lincoln Mark.   The Impala,  you can name a bunch.  Mopar did the same as well. 

That looks like a prime project car, I suggest install some tires and at the very least make it a roller--take better

more pictures and put it on fordbarn ads/ or the hamb--- these is a group of 

many non ford folks--I would even put it on craigslist..A 6 volt battery can be bought at any NAPA most in stock, 

It would be cool to remove spark plugs, pour a little marvel mystery oil, or auto trans fluid in each cylinder..

- the previous post about the oil pan is spot on if youre gonna run it , oil in cyl and battery- turning over

says to buyer- engine is probably good.....Here in Ohio, even garaged cars have nasty floors..if frame is bad, 

then its junk and parts only...

IMG_2088.JPG