Air Bag Or Airbag?

J3Studio

Air Bag Or Airbag?  

7 members have voted

1. 1. I'm doing some writing and trying to make a stylistic choice. The question: air bag or airbag? Thanks for your responses.

• Air Bag
    • Airbag

The word Airbag goes back 200 years or more as a single word. Similar to terms like moneybag. But it may not appear in some dictionaries. The acceptance of such combined words sometimes takes years to appear in dictionaries. Out of curiousity I looked up duffle bag on Google and most sites consider it 2 words. I do find Google a very good source for solving these kinds of questions, and sometimes the answer is spell it either of 3 ways, air bag, air-bag, or airbag. Since it appears in dictionaries as Airbag with a definition as such, misuse by entities such as nhtsa may just be laziness.  

• Thanks 1

No dash (-) in any of the technical journals i have on airbags. There are a few references to air bags....😉

I'm no Shakespear, but I would have thought that two words that refer to a single item/entity ,etc would be combined as one word, ie , weekend, automobile, etc.

Airbag is universally recognised to be a safety device in an automobile. IMO, it would be a single word.

• Thanks 1

Back in 1988 I worked for TRW/Technar and I was a tech on the part of the assembly line that made crash sensors for airbags.

I worked in the Chrysler room but we had Honda at that facility as well.

On my first day I sat through a big production about how important these devices were because they were life saving safety devices.

Turns out that on the assembly line they were forcing me to pass parts that were nowhere near being within spec and all they really cared about were number of units off the end of the line.

Later on, It was no surprise to hear that some Chrysler vehicles were having spontaneous airbag deployments or failure to deploy at all.

Long story short, in the beginnings of the manufacturing process, they were called airbags.

Edited by zepher (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

The words air and bag are two nouns. When you put them together as "air bag" the first noun is a modifier to the second noun, giving you a bag that is meant to hold air; or worse you could possibly interpret that as a bag that is made out of air.

If you want to describe this thing we know as the pillow created by explosive gasses; that would need it's own unique word, so "airbag" works well for that. 

• Thanks 1