valk

1941 Roadmaster coupe

You should join the Buick Club of America (BCA) right away.  You can get your answers to your questions through the club, and see a roster that lists the cars that various members own.  On the production figures, "The 1941 Buick Story" by Walt Bruegger has a chart that says that 2,784 were produced domestically, plus 50 more for export.  I don't know how many have survived, but the club will give you at least a partial answer.  Someone else on here may know.

Managed to get a few more pics...can't wait until it gets here. Anybody here from Maryland or Northern Va? I'm in Bethesda right outside DC

41buick1.jpg

41buick11.jpg

41buick12.jpg

41buick14.jpg

• Like 2

I'm a bit late to this party, but I'll give you my 2 cents worth. I own virtually the same car, only mine is Canadian production, and is known as a McLaughlin Buick, though there is almost no difference between the two.

I've had mine on the road about 6 1/2 years, and it is a great car to drive. Even with the stock 3.9 axle ratio, most of them have that, I think, it still drives nice at 60-65, though I recently installed a 3.4, with speedo correction, and it is an improvement.

My thoughts, are you won't be disappointed. The only thing that has given me consistent issues are the carbs, I've seen them worked on a few times. Otherwise, it is a comfortable and reliable cruiser. Of course, I'm partial to them! But most feel that the engineering on these cars was ahead of its' time, and for a car pushing 80 years old, driving dynamics are excellent.

Let us know how it goes when you get it!

Keith

• Like 1

Here's a couple of pictures of my '41 Roadmaster. As for production of Canadian Roadmaster coupes, this is the only one known to still exist, the body number is 8, out of no one know how many, but the chassis number is about 1/2 through the year, or so, maybe there were 10-20 made. Only about 2,750 made of the US model, don't have my BCA roster handy, so I'll look up the numbers when I can to see how many that are registered, but don't think its' very many.

The colour on mine is a correct '41 shade called Royal Maroon, and was repainted by me during its' restoration. It was a tough car to do, due to living all of its' life here in Ontario. It is also sporting the optional bumper guards, usually called "Elephant Ears", but not fender skirts.

I love the look of the skirts on your car!

Keith

41BuickMrBeans1.jpg

Buick41_atDuskSml.jpg

• Like 4

I was wondering when you were going to chime in, Keith.  Your car looks fantastic!  You should post a "before" pic to show how much work you had to do.

• Like 1

Man, that car looks great. Love the Looooong hood and maroon color. You are the first I've "met" who has the same car.  Wonder who McLaughlin is...

Peter

To answer, McLaughlin was Sam McLaughlin, who started building cars in 1908 out of his father's {Robert's} carriage business, in Oshawa, Ont. They were planning to build the complete car, engine, trans, and of course the body, as that was were their expertise was. The engineer who had been hired to do the mechanicals became ill, and Sam, already being friends with Billy Durant, struck a deal with him for Buick to supply the running gear, and McLaughlin would do the rest. McLaughlin Motors eventually became GM of Canada. Check out the McLaughlin Buick Club of Canada's website, do a search and it should come up. Also known as the MBCC.

Interesting differences between the two in the early days, but the cars got very close to their US cousins by 1942, and the McLaughlin name disappeared from the cars after WWII.

Sam himself had a particularly long and productive life, and died at age 100, and was well through the vast majority of it. Also check out his former home, Parkwood Estates. An amazing mansion and 12 acre estate in Oshawa.

There is a thread somewhere here in "My and My Buick" called 1941 Buick Roadmaster coupe, I think.

Just had it out for a 25 mile drive after supper tonight. I posted it in the thread, "Have you driven your Buick this weekend"

I can post a few of the pictures before, and during its' restoration, if you'd like.

Peter, its' also nice to meet another '41 Roadmaster Coupe owner! Not too many of us around.

Keith

• Like 2

Thanks Keith - look forward to talking Buick with you. And I'd love to see pixcs of your restoration. 

Can anyone recommend a transport company? I got a quote from Reliable that was more than I expected. 

Peter

A friend suggested a company called Passport, when I was thinking of having a car transported. Otherwise I don't know anything about them.

Keith

I've used passport twice and been happy with both the price and service.  Enclosed coast to Coast. 60 Corvette and 36 Cord Phaeton. 

I will say to avoid heartache go with one of the companies proven to deliver.  Before deciding, Google any shipper (especially private)  that might tell you they are the best.  Often lots of evidence on line proves to the  contrary. 

Peter, here are a few pictures of my '41. Not trying to hijack your thread on your car, but you were interested. I added one of my favourites, and this was taken at Parkwood Estates, that I mentioned earlier. Just a colour shot that I converted to B&W, and added the black keyline. That is what used to be the chauffer's home {if memory serves} in the background. The line I have to describe my car, "Its' a Canadian car, with all the rust to prove it!"

That's my son sitting where the back seat is supposed to be. The exterior pics make it look better than it really was. A lot of prior work had to redone as well.

Keith

41BuickCoachHouseSml.jpg

41Buick Before002_Sml.jpg

41Buick Before001_Sml.jpg

Buick 41 Rest2.jpg

Graham 1.jpg

• Like 3

9 hours ago, valk said:

Thanks Keith - look forward to talking Buick with you. And I'd love to see pixcs of your restoration. 

Can anyone recommend a transport company? I got a quote from Reliable that was more than I expected. 

Peter

Peter,

Reliable requires pre-payment in full with a credit card.

Never pre-pay for services in advance.

There are also forum members here that don’t like other forum members

and will go out of their way to trash them.

For someone to have “ customer feedback “ ......

There has to be an actual transaction that occurred.

Disinformation is an unfortunate reality on the interweb.

Jim

Good Lord, Keith, you are quite an artisan.  

Still having trouble finding a carrier that is rated high and doesn't have a bunch of negative reviews. I've checked out Passport, Reliable, Horseless Carriage and others and they all have people mad at them! Either not showing up on time, lousy communication, damaged vehicles, ...damn. I know you can't please everybody but nobody yet rises to the top. 

• Like 1

You're not going to find any transporter with a blemish-free record. Remember that the happy customers don't say anything but the complainers end up on the internet telling everyone they can find. For every complaint, I bet they have 1000 customers where nothing bad happened.

We ship a lot of cars (more than 500 to date) and have used a broker for nearly all of them. Our broker knows what we want: good equipment, good insurance, good record. You pay a little extra for someone who knows what he's doing but it's worth it for the non-hassles. To date, we've had exactly one instance of a problem with a shipper we've used to deliver one of our cars, and it was a dead battery because the driver left the ignition on (1960 Chevrolet, and if you know them, you know it's very difficult to know when it's truly OFF).

Anyway, don't get too hung up on it. Any of the big names will do a fine job for you without incident, although you'll probably have to wait. I can give you the name of our broker and you can work with him to get it delivered, usually faster and for less. Many of the independent guys moving our cars use 2-car enclosed trailers so they're a bit more responsive than the big names with 18-wheelers. For a cross-country trip, 18-wheelers are common but rarely one of the big names. There are dozens of others doing the same job just as well.

As long as you're not doing a bargain-basement price from U-Ship.com or something like that, the car will be fine. Fears of the drivers taking the cars on joy rides are unfounded and with most smaller shippers, once it's in the box, it stays in the box(except for the big companies, which often use hubs where cars are off-loaded and moved to other trucks). 

Don't think too hard about it.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Forum members only have gripes with other members when they don't deliver or perform as they promised they would.

I prefer to understate and overdeliver in my business as I'm sure many do including Matt.   His cars are well represented and I bet better in his showroom than he represents here.  The ones I've seen at Hershey were wonderful.  

5 hours ago, valk said:

Good Lord, Keith, you are quite an artisan.  

Thank you! It was a long, long project, and I don't think that I will take on such a long term project again. I bought it late '91, then between the birth of my kids, and the economic slowdown in the 90's in general, I didn't get really going on it till about 2000-01. Got it on the road in 2012, just over 20 years since I bought it. Didn't think it would take so long. I figured it would take about 5 years! How wrong can a guy be!

Did nearly everything, body, paint, mechanical, even sewed the seats. I have put about 10,000 miles on it since I put it on the road. I can tell you the full story about the seat and material if you want sometime.

Keith

• Like 1

The paint code on the data plate is 576 - Monterey Blue Metallic (see picture  of plate on page 1 of this thread) The car is 2-tone with a blue body and  grey top and hood section.  Was this car totally blue initially?  Thanks,
Peter

Posted (edited)
48 minutes ago, valk said:

The paint code on the data plate is 576 - Monterey Blue Metallic (see picture  of plate on page 1 of this thread) The car is 2-tone with a blue body and  grey top and hood section.  Was this car totally blue initially?  Thanks,
Peter

Correct. Two-tone was optional and your car looks right. The BCA does not deduct points for painting it a color combination that was available in 1941--it doesn't have to be exactly what the tag says. In fact, I just noticed that your car's current color combination was featured in the brochure:

592003686_2019-03-2810_28_25.thumb.jpg.28316792c90e4cdc9ce8690ca4659973.jpg

My Century was originally Lancaster Gray over Carlsbad black, but my current plan is to paint it like yours: Lancaster Gray over Monterey Blue. A great look!

Edited by Matt Harwood (see edit history)

I had my car transported from California to North Carolina with Passport with no issues. If you are shopping around make sure that you are speaking to the actual carrier and not a broker. Only a suggestion. 

Beautiful car, love the skirts. 

Mike 

Thank you Matt and Mike. I decided on Passport so I should be OK - thanks for all the good advise.  I did make a point of steering clear of brokers which I might consider for a pedestrian modern car but not a classic. I really like the paint scheme - just the right balance of taste and flamboyance (if that's the word..).  Your Century will look beautiful in these colors. Still 2 to 3 weeks away...argggg. 

Brief History: Like many of you, I'm not a collector, but since a teenager I've owned 1 cool car at a time to goof around with.  Best of the bunch include a '55 Century, '50 Packard Super 8 Deluxe Coupe, and a '58 Continental convertible.  All of them needed work to some degree, but I got them to respectable condition.  But I've always wanted a pre-war car so the '41 Roadmaster is the mother load for me.  I know how valuable these forums can be so I look forward to seeking your advise and giving it when I can.  And, Mike, my wife and I are considering Ashville as a retirement location - hear it's great. 

Thanks boys, I'll chime in when I get it in a few weeks. 

Peter

• Like 3

Well, Peter, glad that it will soon be on its' way to you! I'm really looking forward to seeing some more pictures of it, when it arrives! In all the years that I've owned mine, I have only ever talked to a couple of other owners of them. In the 90's a gent that had one at BCA regional gave me and my daughter a ride in his. It was a neat experience. One can attend several BCA Nationals and not see one, they are that rare.

Keith

No Buick yet - hasn't even been picked up but I understand these things take time. 

I know this is up to me, but what do you think of putting a correct exterior visor on this? My '50 Packard coupe had one and it looked great. 

Peter

If you like the visor, put on the visor. Your car, make it how you want it.

I personally hate them and take them off every chance I get, but that's just one guy's opinion. I would only ask that if you do install a visor, please find one that doesn't require drilling holes in the car for mounting. I've had several where the brackets were screwed into the A-pillar and/or the roof and that's not reversible. The bolt-on ones will often chip the paint, usually on the rain gutters and center post, but at least they can be removed. Remember that it's your car, but we're all just caretakers--there will always be a next owner who will either be delighted with you or curse your name.

Eeesh! Well it worked on my Packard which would have been pretty boring without it but a car like this is a different story.  I don't think all visors fall into the "curb feeler" catagory of tacky assessories, but you have to be careful! Thanks for your thoughts and no worries,  this car will remain a class act. 

Peter