1941 Roadmaster coupe

valk

Forum members only have gripes with other members when they don't deliver or perform as they promised they would.

I prefer to understate and overdeliver in my business as I'm sure many do including Matt.   His cars are well represented and I bet better in his showroom than he represents here.  The ones I've seen at Hershey were wonderful.  

5 hours ago, valk said:

Good Lord, Keith, you are quite an artisan.  

Thank you! It was a long, long project, and I don't think that I will take on such a long term project again. I bought it late '91, then between the birth of my kids, and the economic slowdown in the 90's in general, I didn't get really going on it till about 2000-01. Got it on the road in 2012, just over 20 years since I bought it. Didn't think it would take so long. I figured it would take about 5 years! How wrong can a guy be!

Did nearly everything, body, paint, mechanical, even sewed the seats. I have put about 10,000 miles on it since I put it on the road. I can tell you the full story about the seat and material if you want sometime.

Keith

• Like 1

The paint code on the data plate is 576 - Monterey Blue Metallic (see picture  of plate on page 1 of this thread) The car is 2-tone with a blue body and  grey top and hood section.  Was this car totally blue initially?  Thanks,
Peter

48 minutes ago, valk said:

The paint code on the data plate is 576 - Monterey Blue Metallic (see picture  of plate on page 1 of this thread) The car is 2-tone with a blue body and  grey top and hood section.  Was this car totally blue initially?  Thanks,
Peter

Correct. Two-tone was optional and your car looks right. The BCA does not deduct points for painting it a color combination that was available in 1941--it doesn't have to be exactly what the tag says. In fact, I just noticed that your car's current color combination was featured in the brochure:

592003686_2019-03-2810_28_25.thumb.jpg.28316792c90e4cdc9ce8690ca4659973.jpg

My Century was originally Lancaster Gray over Carlsbad black, but my current plan is to paint it like yours: Lancaster Gray over Monterey Blue. A great look!

Edited by Matt Harwood (see edit history)

I had my car transported from California to North Carolina with Passport with no issues. If you are shopping around make sure that you are speaking to the actual carrier and not a broker. Only a suggestion. 

Beautiful car, love the skirts. 

Mike 

Thank you Matt and Mike. I decided on Passport so I should be OK - thanks for all the good advise.  I did make a point of steering clear of brokers which I might consider for a pedestrian modern car but not a classic. I really like the paint scheme - just the right balance of taste and flamboyance (if that's the word..).  Your Century will look beautiful in these colors. Still 2 to 3 weeks away...argggg. 

Brief History: Like many of you, I'm not a collector, but since a teenager I've owned 1 cool car at a time to goof around with.  Best of the bunch include a '55 Century, '50 Packard Super 8 Deluxe Coupe, and a '58 Continental convertible.  All of them needed work to some degree, but I got them to respectable condition.  But I've always wanted a pre-war car so the '41 Roadmaster is the mother load for me.  I know how valuable these forums can be so I look forward to seeking your advise and giving it when I can.  And, Mike, my wife and I are considering Ashville as a retirement location - hear it's great. 

Thanks boys, I'll chime in when I get it in a few weeks. 

Peter

• Like 3

Well, Peter, glad that it will soon be on its' way to you! I'm really looking forward to seeing some more pictures of it, when it arrives! In all the years that I've owned mine, I have only ever talked to a couple of other owners of them. In the 90's a gent that had one at BCA regional gave me and my daughter a ride in his. It was a neat experience. One can attend several BCA Nationals and not see one, they are that rare.

Keith

No Buick yet - hasn't even been picked up but I understand these things take time. 

I know this is up to me, but what do you think of putting a correct exterior visor on this? My '50 Packard coupe had one and it looked great. 

Peter

If you like the visor, put on the visor. Your car, make it how you want it.

I personally hate them and take them off every chance I get, but that's just one guy's opinion. I would only ask that if you do install a visor, please find one that doesn't require drilling holes in the car for mounting. I've had several where the brackets were screwed into the A-pillar and/or the roof and that's not reversible. The bolt-on ones will often chip the paint, usually on the rain gutters and center post, but at least they can be removed. Remember that it's your car, but we're all just caretakers--there will always be a next owner who will either be delighted with you or curse your name.

Eeesh! Well it worked on my Packard which would have been pretty boring without it but a car like this is a different story.  I don't think all visors fall into the "curb feeler" catagory of tacky assessories, but you have to be careful! Thanks for your thoughts and no worries,  this car will remain a class act. 

Peter

Well since you asked..  I agree with Matt.   When you say a "correct" visor  for a '41 Buick, I think that is kind of a misnomer.  To me, a factory accessory is "correct,"  but an aftermarket accessory is never truly "correct," even though I understand you mean one that might have been purchased to fit on your Buick at the time.   More importantly, I think the lines of your car are beautiful without the visor and the visor would just be an unfortunate distraction from those lines.   Of course it is your car, and you should do what you want to with it.   But as I say, you DID ask! 😉

I have a very nice set of elephant ears I might be willing to sell. PM me if you're interested. I go back and forth about installing them and while I like having them on the shelf, I'm not in love with how they look on my Limited. They would look dynamite on the coupe, especially in back where they really complement the curve of the rear deck. I have fog lights on the Limited and I think adding the bumper ends would just be too much bling on what is supposed to be a low-key car.

Let me know.

On 3/20/2019 at 8:29 PM, valk said:

You guys have been great. If all goes well, we'll be getting to know each other. Thanks so much for your help and opinions.

Peter

Did that car come out of Rochester NH? A friend of mine had one that color and they are so rare, I can not help wonder if it is the same one. His would have been restored about 15 plus years ago. It originally had some rosy on the rockers and down by the body to frame sheet metal. I know he spent a lot more money on the restoration , than what the value was at that time, but it was a labor of love. I would love to know 

Jack

I really don't know (yet). I'm getting it from a private owner in Colorado, and I was told it was originally from Denver but nothing nailed down.  It perportedly had a body off restoration - and the pics of the undercarriage support this - but when this occurred is a mystery.  The owner at the time was a Naval Commander, J. Glass, who moved to Alabama. Haven't really dug into the provenance yet but intend to. 

4 hours ago, valk said:

Eeesh! Well it worked on my Packard which would have been pretty boring without it but a car like this is a different story.  I don't think all visors fall into the "curb feeler" category of tacky accessories, but you have to be careful! Thanks for your thoughts and no worries,  this car will remain a class act. 

Peter

"curb feeler category of tacky accessories'.  In those days, and no outside mirror on passenger side, parallel parking they were pretty neat .

Ben. 

On 3/22/2019 at 1:24 PM, valk said:

I thought about driving it home  - and the seller suggested it too - but I'll take the safe route and ship it here. This car is not going to be thrashed about but coddled and hugged for as long as I have it.  I'll have to clock into local Buick events now that I have one (I had a '55 Buick Century and a '50 Packard coupe in my 20's but no way near the calibre of this '41).  Car has some good upgrades too like electronic ignition, electric fuel pump (as well as the original set up), new wiring harness and quarts clock internals. 

Thanks again all for your encouragement and advice, particularly Neil and Matt. I think I got a good one based on your comments.  Regrettably, I don't have many good pics of it (yet).

I'll keep you guys posted. Is there a registry where I can get a sense of how many '41 Roadie coupes are out there? Or how to contact owners of the same car? 

Peter

Peter: there is a list of the ones belonging to members of the BCA. If you are not a BCA member PM me again and I will send you a copy of the Bugle with info as to how to join. Those cars are also accepted as full Classics by the CCCA.

Peter, that looks so much like my car, and I think it has a neat look with the skirts and the visor. My car has the elephant ears on it, and looking at the old pictures of it when it didn't have them, I think it looks nearly naked, so you could safely count me as a fan. Besides, for what they cost, I better like them! I can see the argument that they mess with the beautiful prewar styling these cars have, but I still like them. Matt's Limited, is a different animal, being a limo, and the coupe is called a "Sports Coupe", so perhaps its' meant to be adorned more, or at least fits with it better.

I still would love a set of the fog lights, and perhaps skirts too, but do wonder if it would be too much stuff on my beautiful car. I had nearly decided to buy a set of correct fog lights, like the ones on Matt's car, for it this winter, but then I have had to do the engine on my Electra, plus stuff on my other cars, so I decided that it would be too extravagant, for just a bit more "show".

Keith

On 4/3/2019 at 7:57 AM, valk said:

And not trying to stoke controversy but I like this '41 with visor. 

41buickvisor.jpg

If you like the look, by all means go for it!   For my taste, the photo you posted just shows perfectly how the visor interferes with the fine lines of the car.

• Like 1

I agree with Neil; if you like it don't let our opinions stop you. We'll never say it was a mistake or we don't like you or the car anymore. :)

I will point out, having had a few cars with visors, that visibility is somewhat curtailed. It's supposed to keep the sun out of your eyes, but the net effect (to me, at least) has been to make it feel like there's always something that I can't see and I get uneasy. Like when someone honks at you and you wonder if there's a stray child under your bumper that you didn't notice. It also can make the interior feel very dark. You'll need to buy (and use) a trafficator, because you won't be able to see traffic signals at all.

Maybe see if you can find a car with a visor at a show and ask the owner if you can sit in his car. It doesn't have to be a Buick, any coupe with a visor will feel about the same. There should be plenty of them around that youcan try on for size.

Enjoy the car, that's what matters!

• Like 1

Thanks all for your comments. The truth is I do like the look of the maroon coupe with visor above but my first priority will be elephant ears. I think they look great on Keith's coupe (do you happen to have a shot of the rear??) And then fogs, and then I'll contemplate a visor.

I seem to have a burning desire to put my stamp on the car in some fashion....like a dog marking his territory....

Peter

I had bumper ends on my '41 Super convertible (which I deeply regret selling) and I thought they looked great on that particular car. The rear end was especially appealing--the shapes all came together just right and your Roadmaster uses the same body so it should look just as good.

001.thumb.JPG.919b83e58e381d4333c2faeb11d252b7.JPG005.thumb.JPG.ee8ffa05a5dc438e861e279eb7e9bf93.JPG020.thumb.JPG.f4720985c09067b1d11cb64741c394d8.JPG

036.thumb.JPG.213f8a4a3697a4499b35136ab99d127c.JPG038.thumb.JPG.d236ac036f6e22bf211f8f396199f032.JPG

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Matt Harwood said:

I will point out, having had a few cars with visors, that visibility is somewhat curtailed. It's supposed to keep the sun out of your eyes, but the net effect (to me, at least) has been to make it feel like there's always something that I can't see and I get uneasy. Like when someone honks at you and you wonder if there's a stray child under your bumper that you didn't notice. It also can make the interior feel very dark. You'll need to buy (and use) a trafficator, because you won't be able to see traffic signals at all.

Concur.

Remember, people were shorter 80 years ago than they are today, and cars were designed accordingly.  Anything that obscures the upper part of the windshield is going to have you scrunched down while driving.  Try cruising around in a new car for a while with the interior visor pulled down.  It gets old quick.

Again, truth be told, I kinda like that environment as weird as it sounds. Less exposed, maybe?  I dunno...my wife is always telling me to turn on the lights because I like watching TV in the dark.  My issue would be aethetics and I don't think it would look as good on my car as it does on a solid, dark color like maroon. And I don't want to run over any stray kids!  I might get a trafficator anyway 'cause it sounds cool. 

Matt, your '41 convertible is off-the-scale gorgeous. And I love the look of the ears. 

I’m really late to this thread, but I love the Roadmaster coupe.  It’s a great looking car.  My 1941 Special has a similar colour scheme, but if I recall, it actually is a 1941 colour code, but that’s what’s stamped on the data plate, so my guess is someone liked the scheme on a 1940 and special ordered it that way.  My car appears to be a darker blue...I don’t recall what it is and am being Sunday morning lazy about going to investigate.

The 1941 cars are so smooth...with a small fleet, our 1941 is probably my wife’s favourite to ride in.

Enjoy!

Thanks...I see I’m missing the low mileage Reatta from the signature.  In the next couple of years I think I may actually find out what it’s like to actually sell a Buick as I need to give myself some breathing space...enough of them need work that I’m beginning to think I should consider passing them along to the next steward in the chain.

Patience is a virtue...that is one of the challenges of getting cars transported.

She was picked up yesterday and is finally on its way.  I've been trying not to think about it the last couple weeks to keep me from going nuts but now that its in transit, I'm back to needing Depends. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

She arrived yesterday on Good Friday, which, henceforth, shall be called Very Good Friday.  I absolutely love it  and spend all day yesterday and some today going over her. I will post more pics for sure, but these starters are for the scrap book. 

Peter

IMG_0931.JPG

IMG_0926.JPG

• Like 9

15 hours ago, valk said:

She arrived yesterday on Good Friday, which, henceforth, shall be called Very Good Friday.  I absolutely love it  and spend all day yesterday and some today going over her. I will post more pics for sure, but these starters are for the scrap book. 

Peter

Beautiful Buick.  Love the color combination.  I also live in MD.  Maybe I can see the beauty one day at a show!  Enjoy!!!  

So I've had a chance to go over it a bit and I want to sort out the engine as it runs a little rough I believe due to going from 7,000 feet above sea level to about 500. I tried backing the idle mix screws out 1/4 turns but no improvement.  I now have all 4 idle mixture screws out 1 and 1/4 turns and it still a bit rough.  Plan is to adjust them in and out to get the fastest idle.  Another option would be to hook up a vacuum gauge but I'm not sure if this works on a straight eight?? 

Next step is to adjust the valves as I think they could be a bit quieter and I've read it is imperative to have the engine warmed up completely.  I don't think all need adjusting so I may use a stethoscope to find the worst offenders. Any thoughts or suggestions? 

Peter