Old Russian cars

medved000

The US and Russia were not too close following WWII and through the Cold War years.  Owning a Russian built car in the US would not be viewed too favorably by your neighbors who probably would have called the FBI or CIA if you were seen driving it.  Getting parts would be nearly impossible.  Besides we had more than enough domestic cars and a few foreign makes to choose from.  Some Russian cars might have shown up in East Germany and been photographed by US service men, more for who might have been driving them as opposed to being interested in the car itself.  We were always told everything Russia had was inferior to what we had.

If I recall correctly, the Russian ZIL and ZIS automobiles were made using Packard designs, bought under license. It would be neat to see the various models available, their local cost, and any other information. 

P

Some Russian-made cars are interesting.  I've seen a couple of Chaikas and a Zil.  And Ladas were sold in Canada for several years starting in the late 1970's. 

The pre-war cars such as the Russo-Baltic would be of interest to me.

Craig

I did a frame off restoration on a 1964 GAZ-69 (UAZ-69 to be exact as production had moved from Gorky by that time). Had to make some eastern block friends to get parts but I got there in the end.

Neat little ride with lots of utilitarian features, pretty peppy with a fully rebuilt flathead 4... Interesting engine preheater that involved hooking a blow torch into a specially designed cooling jacket unit that also directed heat to the oil pan. Nobody knew what it was... always got a lot of "what is that?", the kids at car shows sure loved sitting in it though. 

I have seen several Russian cars in Brooklyn - a Chaika limousine, a GAZ-21 Volga, a Zaporozhets, a couple of Zhiguli (Lada) sedans and a Niva. The Zaporozhets was used as interior decoration in one Russian restaurant on Coney Island Avenue, since closed. I don't know what happened to the car. The Volga was a regular at local car shows, unfortunately, it was destroyed during the 2012 hurricane. There was also one Dnepr motorcycle, a copy of a 1940s BMW. All the cars were owned by Russian expats. Brooklyn is full of Russian mechanics who remember working on these cars back in Russia and parts are available online, so it's feasible, at least within driving distance from Brooklyn. Lada and Niva cars are also familiar in Canada. Elsewhere, I'm sure it's more of a hassle. Of course, there is quite a following in Russia, with its own forums, clubs, museums and car shows. I have some interest in these cars, but I doubt I'll ever want to own one. For the price of importing one, there are more interesting choices right here in the USA. But if I was living in Russia, I'd probably buy a 1950s Pobeda.  

Edited by Big Beat (see edit history)

I like seeing them too. I find Russian and eastern bloc cars really interesting because we never saw them here in the US back in the day. I think a few of them may have had distributors in the US (NewYork or LA) prior to 1962 or so, but few were sold.

Dnepr motorcycles with sidecars were sold here in Canada . Not big sellers, you still see the odd one at motorcycle shows.

They seemed OK , but never really caught on. Too many well looked after used BMW's in the same price range I suspect.  Ural motorcycles also had a slow but steady sale in Canada

Greg in Canada

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)

• 5 years later...