How buttercup got her groove back

NC-car-guy

1 minute ago, avgwarhawk said:

Live and learn.  I read up on the Evapo Rust.  Seems to be quite good at rust removal. I'm interested in seeing it perform as advertised. 

It is great, I've used it plenty.  I've just never used it in an engine.

NC,

Don't be in a hurry with the Evapo. Give it a couple of days to "cook".

Evapo goes in looking like mountain dew, and when it's done working it looks like old oil.

It will not hurt brass or aluminum !

Make that old girl go thru several heat / cool cycles and get it circulating all thru the system.

Not to scare you, but mine worked so good, I wound up replacing a couple of frost plugs, and when I peered inside, she was as clean as a whistle, radiator too.

Mike in Colorado

PS; In case Lamar drops by, the good old days................

If this came with it, I would buy your car at full price.

untitled.png

Edited by FLYER15015 (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Could the hose - panty hose, that is - be a restrictor in the coolant flow enough to cause your cooling issues?  Regardless, it seems like a very good idea you are getting that junk out!  Keep up the process until you see a lot less gunk.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, FLYER15015 said:

NC,

Don't be in a hurry with the Evapo. Give it a couple of days to "cook".

Evapo goes in looking like mountain dew, and when it's done working it looks like old oil.

It will not hurt brass or aluminum !

Make that old girl go thru several heat / cool cycles and get it circulating all thru the system.

Not to scare you, but mine worked so good, I wound up replacing a couple of frost plugs, and when I peered inside, she was as clean as a whistle, radiator too.

Mike in Colorado

it has all new freeze plugs 😁.  Can't remember who but it was at that time that somebody gave me the procedure for which freeze plug to remove and insert a pressure washer to flush the engine.  I did that and lots of gunk came out...  I didn't think there was lots more!

7 hours ago, Fr. Buick said:

Could the hose - panty hose, that is - be a restrictor in the coolant flow enough to cause your cooling issues?  Regardless, it seems like a very good idea you are getting that junk out!  Keep up the process until you see a lot less gunk.

what Father said

The filter shouldn't be so restrictive as to cause issue (unless of course the filter is clogged) I cleared a little out this AM and then ran the car for 30 more minutes. I'll  clean the filter and run it again this afternoon.  Once the solution turns black, it has dissolved and bonded with all the rust it can and will be changed.

7 hours ago, Fr. Buick said:

I would also concur.  The panty hose are filtering as hoped but eventually gets clogged.  That is quite a bit of crap caught by the hosiery.   That is a good problem to have as it is not going into the radiator.  Keep on going with it.  Rinse and repeat like the shampoo bottle says.     

• Like 1

Refresh my memory since I am too lazy to read again your previous posts:  How was the radiator cleaned?  If anything less than a new core or rodding the existing core then it is totally ineffective!  Boiling and flushing will do nothing if clogged tubes are present.

6 minutes ago, old-tank said:

Refresh my memory since I am too lazy to read again your previous posts:  How was the radiator cleaned?  If anything less than a new core or rodding the existing core then it is totally ineffective!  Boiling and flushing will do nothing if clogged tubes are present.

Just boiled. Metal was too brittle for rodding.  The shop did a flow check though and reported that it was fine.  Remember the car runs fine and then suddenly spiked.  Was not running hot until one given moment.

Edited by NC-car-guy (see edit history)

I have been accused of being real good at spending other people's money, but get a new  core or radiator.

5 minutes ago, NC-car-guy said:

Metal was too brittle for rodding

That is not a reason for not rodding, just a common excuse.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, old-tank said:

I have been accused of being real good at spending other people's money, but get a new  core or radiator.

That is not a reason for not rodding, just a common excuse.

Why would the shop tell me it had good flow if they could sell me a new core? They came highly recommended and have been in business since the 70s. He already had to fix 2 small holes so it seemed the metal was weak.  Fine for you to suggest new radiator and spend others money but this guy is out of money.  If the shop said the flow is good, it's good.

30 minute run this AM full of Evaporust, very little in the filter.  30 minute run tonight, still full of evaporust, very little particulate.   Will keep running and checking filter.  No overheat since thermostat is out.

• Like 1

I have now done three rounds of evapo rust flushing.... Last round the water came out pretty clean and little to no debris in the filter. Filled it up with plain water let it run and get warm, let it cool, drained that it was also pretty clear with no debris in the filter. Repeated one more plain water rinse and now flushing with blue devil flush.  Car has been running for 30 minutes in the driveway and the needle is staying exactly at the n on the temperature gauge.  Still running no thermostat.  Temp readings are:

Water neck:  180

Temp sender area: 159

Front of heads in front of 1st intake port: 190s

Front of engine block: 160

Intake near carb base: 132 very front or rear: 180s

Exhaust manifold at each exhaust port 279-290

Not sure I can get my little laser pointer thermometer  to point at anything else. ....   Thoughts?

• Like 2

Just now, FLYER15015 said:

NC,

So now I think we have another fan of Evap-o-rust !!!!

Mike in Colorado

PS; Keep your eye on the expansion plugs for awhile.

Ask me how I know.

Oh I've been a fan. Just never put it in an engine.  Expansion plugs are all new, freshly replaced.

You may want to try one of the high performance tstats. They seem to maintain a more constant, ie less fluctuating temperature and they're never fully closed.  Worked for me in the wagon.

https://www.amazon.com/Mr-Gasket-4364-Performance-Thermostat/dp/B000BWAPA2/ref=psdc_15725471_t1_B075P27Q83

I'm thinking this is what I went with

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/bra-330-180?rrec=true

• Like 1

12 hours ago, avgwarhawk said:

How goes it with Buttercup? Is she cool as a cucumber or hot as a tamales?  Asking for a friend who wants nothing but success with this resurrection! 

Sidetracked with a family project In Philly this weekend...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

5th and final flush.  Water running clear.  Installed 160 thermostat.  Stayed under the N the whole drive to foodlion...about 3 miles.  at the stoplight just before the store it started at the climb just a little bit above the N.  when I parked water neck was reading 209. 20200604_192952.thumb.jpg.6dd29c2c37df9a258cf4a6178bb3ad8f.jpg

• Like 5

3 hours ago, NC-car-guy said:

I just noticed it cut off half my post.   But the return trip was the same.  Needle went to the same spot while idling in the driveway.  Also no test drive today.  They are forecasting rain. 

Recommend keeping your filter in place. Mine has been in the car since 2003 and here it is after the last 240 miles of mostly highway speed travel. 

20200528_093436.jpg

3 hours ago, NC-car-guy said:

I just noticed it cut off half my post.   But the return trip was the same.  Needle went to the same spot while idling in the driveway.  Also no test drive today.  They are forecasting rain. 

Buicks love the rain.  They run better.  I never could explain why.  

1 minute ago, avgwarhawk said:

Buicks love the rain.  They run better.  I never could explain why.  

Ha ha ha.  Wipers arent working yet and the driver's door seal is leaky... pass 

Glad I didn't drive it to work this morning.  Wouldn't have made it.  Apparently 3 miles is its limit.  I went to food lion again.  Same result...just above N when I got there.  Stayed just above N on the ride home so I decided to run another 6 mile loop.  She started climbing.  Just as I pulled in the driveway it was creeping towards H and then started puking fro. The over flow.

I know I've threatened but seriously......  I'm into this car for almost the top of what its worth now.  We've all gotten pay cuts at work. I just want to relax.  I want an old car I can ride around town without worrying too much and I want a little boat to fish on the lake. I'm going to clean her up tomorrow and get photos to post online.   You guys have first crack.  Hopefully someone with more time and money can get her to that next level and win the archival.    I might make the sale contingent on everything in the parts building must go with.....😛😉

11 minutes ago, MrEarl said:

Are you sure that sock filter things not clogged and restricting flow. You should at least try one of the high flow 180* thermostats that I suggested earlier. 

I checked the panty hose... Clear.  I need to get out of debt, drop the stressful job, fix up my house and have a dependable old beater to drive around.   I know your love for the car.  You're welcome to have it back at what I paid and I'll take the loss.  If you know someone you think would be a good caretaker, feel free to recommend them.  I'm tired, I'm over-worked, I'm aging beyond my 40 years. I need a relaxing hobby. Men in my family don't live past mid-sixties (except one), I want to use my time for something else.

10 minutes ago, avgwarhawk said:

You have done just about everything I can think of but... just for craps and giggles, the fan is on correctly? 

Yea and that 5 blade fan really.moves air!