1948 Tucker for sale

All Tuckers are expensive doorstop's........at least they are more effective at holding open doors than going down the road.........from experience!

At Pebble Beach this year there were 15 Tuckers.......... I went up to a good friend and said......That's an outstanding automobile........You will be out standing on the

side of the road while on the Thursday tour. 

To be fair, the road worthy cars have lots of updates so they will now down the road.........no one drives a stock car that I am aware of. 

A friend of my father owned the blue one at the Sweigard museum and he drove it for years without any problems. 75mph on the highway no problem. Smooth and easy. Felt more modern than most other 40's cars I have been in. And that was before it was restored back in the 70's. 

• Like 2

In its recent Tucker displays, the AACA Museum

has what is probably the same thing:  a movie prop car.

From several feet away, it could fool the casual observer,

but the docent pointed out the differences and then

I could see that it's not really even a car.

I can see how this vehicle might make an interesting

display for a museum or a garage, but not for $95,000. 

Look at the bidding history...........it was pumped up, and as there is no comission due, its much more likely someone is just trying to inflate its value. Honestly, have you ever seen, serviced, or driven a Tucker? Doesn't matter what they bring for dollars, they are just a mess.

Plain and simple, work on five or ten, and then post an opinion. They are basically a back yard built car. For years they didn't bring any money, then the movie. A friend who has a large collection has one only because people ask to see one, we both laugh and shake our head. The styling is horrible......just like the rest of the car. To each his own. 

• Like 1

I religiously follow the rule of "to each his own".  There are lots of guys on the forum with cars they love that I just don't get, but good for them.  The only exception I make is for Tuckers.  If somehow you re-engineer the car so that it can go to the corner store for milk,  it  will still be one of the ugliest ducklings to ever grace the top of a rollback.

TOUGH CROWD...

6 minutes ago, AC Fuhrman said:

TOUGH CROWD...

Ain't that the truth.

Maybe they are ugly to some, maybe they are junk.

But they are in fact a real part of the history of the American automobile and I for one kind of like them.

If one was to fall into my hands it would get a prominent place in my humble collection. Drivable or not.

• Like 4

I would describe the Tucker as an insignificant part of automotive history. They were a failure... it's like saying the Reeves Octoauto was "significant". There were lots of cars and engineering accomplishments that were significant – The Curved Dash Olds and the Model T, the electric starter and electric lighting. Those were significant. The most significant thing about the Tucker is that it was the subject of a movie - one that in another 15 or 20 years will be largely forgotten.

As far as movies are concerned, I'm reminded of the British film Genevieve (1953) - practically no one today has seen it but it has been credited with jump-starting much of the interest in early cars in post-war Britain. That was a significant accomplishment but the movie itself is largely forgotten.

2 hours ago, JV Puleo said:

As far as movies are concerned, I'm reminded of the British film Genevieve (1953) - practically no one today has seen it but it has been credited with jump-starting much of the interest in early cars in post-war Britain. That was a significant accomplishment but the movie itself is largely forgotten.

Speaking of Genevieve, the movie and the car, saw the movie on TV in the sixties. Then in 1973 saw the car itself in Gilltraps Museum on the Gold Coast of SE Queensland in Australia on my honeymoon. In fact my new bride and I sat in Genevieve, she(my bride) wasn't impressed!?