Stained trunk liner

kreed

I have what I believe is an original trunk liner in my 66GS . It is stained in several areas  which drives me crazy when I open the trunk .Knowing they are "original only once " I am hesitant to replace . The fabric itself is in reasonable shape . Any alternatives / suggestions  for cleaning ? Not very hopeful but would appreciate your thoughts . Thanks 

KReed

ROA 14549

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

9 hours ago, kreed said:

I have what I believe is an original trunk liner in my 66GS

Wow, that is cool! What kind of material is that? Is there any way I can get a VERY small sample of your trunk mat material? As you may already know, I have started making trunk mat kits using dark and light charcoal color synthetic felt material but I did not know 66's used a fabric trunk mat material. If I can find out if a similar material is currently available, I can make kits for 66's from this material also. Please PM me to talk about it more. Below is an example of the kit I am producing. 

Trunk-mat-image-labeled1.jpg

Edited by NC68Riviera (see edit history)

Mike,

Jenkins upholstery will be the only one who supplies that material closest to stock. 66 had 3 different versions of trunk lining.

• Earlier cars had one large piece on the floor which covered right over top of the spare cover. This required pulling the whole liner back to access the spare.
  • Then at some point it went to the 3 sectional floor pieces with separate cover lining. Aside from the cover, its possible the cuts on these are a little different than 67. It would need investigated. Probably be close enough though.
  • Very late 66 was black material and boards but I have no info on if the cuts were same as 67 or the 66 tan weave material

Also keep in mind the 67 will be different than 68 on pieces towards the rear due to taillight location change.

Edited by JZRIV (see edit history)

KReed, I would leave that original trunk material in the car.  You may be able to spot clean it up a bit but it is in good shape for the year.  I would not get too aggressive with a brush or sponge as the fabric will be brittle with age.  Try your cleaner of choice in one area first to measure the results before attempting to clean the whole thing.   

1 hour ago, JZRIV said:

Also keep in mind the 67 will be different than 68 on pieces towards the rear due to taillight location change

Good to know.

Maybe someone would be willing to let me borrow some original 67 trunk matting to make accurate templates? Hint, hint! They would be returned undamaged when I am done with them.

If they are rust stains, you could try making a solution of Oxalic acid crystals (aka: wood bleach).  Saturate a paper towel, place it on the stain and let it set.  Lather, rinse & repeat...  If it improves, but requires longer 'set' time, you could cover the paper towel with plastic wrap to slow the evaporation.

https://www.amazon.com/Savogran-10501-Wood-Bleach-12/dp/B000VBGH82/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1534038890&sr=8-5&keywords=oxalic+acid

On ‎8‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 8:10 PM, kreed said:

I have what I believe is an original trunk liner in my 66GS . It is stained in several areas  which drives me crazy when I open the trunk .

I'd be happy if my trunk looked like yours after cleaning. :P 

Also, FWIW, I just used oxalic acid to clean a carpeted floor mat that had rust stains from an old tool box.  I put a few acid crystals (maybe the size of a golf ball) in a glass pie pan, added a little water, rubbed it into the carpet, and the stains came right out.

Edited by KongaMan (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I have tried a little bit of everything but am afraid to do much more - the fabric is obviously fragile to any light brushing or scrubbing -not at all satisfied but guess I will just have to leave alone or replace entirely - stuff like this drives me crazy ?. Has anyone attempted to dye this material . Can't really see it working as the fabric is not  just one color . Probably would look worse than what I have now and then I WOULD have to replace it .

KReed

ROA 14549

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

That would drive me crazy as well.......I would replace it......The new Jenkins material looks very

very nice. What I do if I need to haul stuff in my trunk, I put down some very thick bath mats that I bought

from Bed Bath and Beyond, that take up my whole trunk floor and protect my new trunk mat. Also I have

vinyl sheeting underneath my new trunk mat to keep anything from bleeding into the material from underneath.

Edited by Seafoam65 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, kreed said:

I have tried a little bit of everything but am afraid to do much more - the fabric is obviously fragile to any light brushing or scrubbing -not at all satisfied but guess I will just have to leave alone or replace entirely - stuff like this drives me crazy ?. Has anyone attempted to dye this material . Can't really see it working as the fabric is not  just one color . Probably would look worse than what I have now and then I WOULD have to replace it .

KReed

ROA 14549

I would leave it as-is and DO NOT try to dye it. At first I was thinking you could replace but be very gentle when removing it so it can be preserved.....on second thought I'm not sure any amount of gentleness would prevent permanent damage upon removal. The rubbery/foam backing does not age well and will crumble away especially where its glued down. If you try to remove, I wouldn't peel it off the spare tire board. Leave and get another board. How about considering a Buick brown trunk mat accessory which will cover nearly all of it.

Unless the car will receive a high level restoration, better to leave as-is IMO.....or at least let it settle for awhile and think about it before making a decision. Once original is gone, its gone for good

Edited by JZRIV (see edit history)
  • Like 1

On ‎8‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 8:09 PM, kreed said:

Little more work today . At the point where everything I do takes color out along with stain so I am done . Does anyone still sell the brown trunk mats ? Thanks 

KReed

ROA 14549

As you see what CARs has now are blems. Apparently they haven't attempted to get more reproduced. In your case an imperfect mat may not satisfy since your lining isn't all that bad to begin with.

These do show up NOS once in awhile.

1 hour ago, JZRIV said:

As you see what CARs has now are blems. Apparently they haven't attempted to get more reproduced. In your case an imperfect mat may not satisfy since your lining isn't all that bad to begin with.

These do show up NOS once in awhile.

I talked to Jeff of CARS in 2014 at the ROA meet in Colorado Springs about the tan trunk mats. He said at that time they had a problem with production and had no plans to try to produce more. He mentioned the blems to me at that time. I did order one of the blems the next year. The problem with them was a chalky look on a portion of the surface. I was able to bring it back to a presentable condition using various products such as vinyl protectant, car wax, etc. I am satisfied with the result and it was cheap. It is not perfect. In fact, the result gave it the look of a slightly used original rather than a squeaky, clean repro. I do have to be somewhat careful as it seems to scuff easily. I keep a blanket over it and got a cheap tan trunk mat on e-bay that was able to be cut to fit the whole trunk area over the blanket.This set up allows me to protect the trunk mat and also keeps my trunk liner clean and stain free. 

Ken, this was the same trunk mat that was in my car at the BCA Heartland Regional. A blem might be worth a try.

Bill

IMG_2031.JPG

IMG_2035.JPG

IMG_4462.JPG

• Like 1

On 8/12/2018 at 7:36 PM, gungeey said:

Mine had the original for thirty years...this second Lou Adzima set at twenty four years old still don't look as good as yours Haha

This one'll never be a museum piece, drove 3500 miles in it so far this summer OOOHHRAHH

Steve

20180812_191715 (1).jpg

Gungee, if you felt like it- you could clean it as good as it’s going to clean and dye the material. THAT IS IF YOU FELT like it. Looks fine to me. The fitment of the material looks real good.

Red Riviera Bob

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Red Riviera Bob said:

Gungee, if you felt like it- you could clean it as good as it’s going to clean and dye the material. THAT IS IF YOU FELT like it. Looks fine to me. The fitment of the material looks real good.

Red Riviera Bob

I wouldn't touch it for the world.

I had the kind of cars where I was chasing after every speck of imperfection.

Today I had to pick up a customer check at their house, had a dump truck on the highway in front of me for a couple miles, I would of been miserable driving a showy car. Likely wouldn't of brought it to work in the first place. Would of been too worried ..Anyway, after I passed the dump truck the road was ground up to get repaved for about 4 miles...asphalt kicking up etc... nothing happened but it was a Nice Ride. Don't get me wrong it gets taken care of,but everything right now matches consistently. Replace one part with new and the game begins. the piece next to it looks like crap...

Lou Adzima made the kit, he advertises in the riview.

He doesn't make the splash guards anymore, he says can't find the material. I got a set from RUbber the RIght way, the sheeting is half as thick as original

Steve

Got my "blem" tan floor mat from Kevin @CARS today . If this is a blem , I bet their non-blems were amazing . Couldn't be happier and in fact ordered  another one for my 64 . $79.50 + $20 shipping . If anyone needs one,  I would recommend them highly - not sure how many are left and suspect they won't be reproduced in this color for a while . Pics of before and after mat .

KReed

ROA 14549

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Not trying to be a hater here, I want us all to have good experiences.

I had a black rubber floor mat set from CARS and it leached out a green powder after 3 months. There was no stopping it and I never applied chemicals to it.

Their red engine paint turns pink once heated.

Bought a dash pot from them last year - failed within 2 months.

Hood rubber bumpers - split / cracked within 3 months.

Only good experience is a rear axle cover hasn't leaked. That car doesn't get driven so who knows?

QA department does not exist.

I don't want your liners getting stained. I would put parchment paper between for the interim.

It does look great!

2 hours ago, kreed said:

Got my "blem" tan floor mat from Kevin @CARS today . If this is a blem , I bet their non-blems were amazing . Couldn't be happier and in fact ordered  another one for my 64 . $79.50 + $20 shipping . If anyone needs one,  I would recommend them highly - not sure how many are left and suspect they won't be reproduced in this color for a while . Pics of before and after mat .

KReed

ROA 14549

Edited by PWB (see edit history)

2 hours ago, kreed said:

KReed

ROA 14549

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Like WOW! Who'd know what lies underneath.

On 8/24/2018 at 4:27 PM, kreed said:

KReed

ROA 14549

image.jpeg

Ken, One heck of a great tip! Looks real good to me. Thank you

Red Riviera Bob