PRIVATE COLLECTION FOR SALE

NO LONGER AVAILABLE.

I HAVE MAINTAINED THIS COLLECTIN FOR OVER 14 YEARS AND NOW HAVE BEEN ASKED TO SELL DUE TO OWNERS HEALTH.

PLEASE NOTE PRICES WERE SET BY ESTATE MANAGER AND ARE ASKING PRICES.

PLEASE FEEL FREE TO ASK QUESTIONS AND MAKE OFFERS.

COLLECTION IS LOCATED ONE HOUR SOUTH OF DALLAS,TX.

PRICES ARE AS FOLLOWS:

1.1909 DELAUNEY........$420,000

2.1924 ROLLS 20 HP..........$65,000

3.1925 ROLLS ROADSTER......$140,000     SOLD!

4.1928 PI BREWSTER..........$150,000

5.1932 CADILLAC V8  5P COUPE........$60,000

6.1932 PIERCE MODEL 54 CONV SEDAN.........$190,000

7.1933-34 PII ...........$180,000

8.1934 PII BARKER COUPE....$450,000

9.1936 HISPANO K SERIES LIMO..........$250,000

10.1951 MG TD....$25,000

THX

ROBERT HAND

OVILLA.TX

214-236-4097

1909 DELAUNEY.JPG

1924 ROLLS 20 HP.JPG

1926 ROLLS GHOST.JPG

1928 PI BREWSTER.JPG

1932 CADILLAC 5P.JPG

1932 PIERCE.JPG

1933 ROLLS PII.JPG

1934 ROLLS PII BARKER.JPG

1936 HISPANO K SERIES LIMO.JPG

1951 MG TD.JPG

Edited by rb6673 (see edit history)

Wow, some nice cars!  Good luck with sale.

That '32 Pierce looks like one I used to tour behind in Texas, when I lived in Louisiana back in the 70's and 80's.  Belonged to a well known couple who collected, I think the husband passed away but the wife kept some or all of the cars.....won't mention names since it looks like the estate is trying to keep mum.....

Edited by trimacar (see edit history)

I'm not familiar with the other cars, but know the Pierce is an older restoration that has been very well maintained.  This collector took car of his/her cars. 

The Cadillac coupe looks like the best deal in the bunch.

I'm with Dave, although that shade of blue on the Rolls does have a touch of yellow in it!!

I've posted a link to this sale on the Pierce Arrow Society forum.  There aren't that many Pierce convertible sedans out there, and this is a nice one.

A piece of trivia.  All Pierce convertible sedans of this era had bodies made by LeBaron, to Pierce specifications.  The bodies were then delivered to the Pierce factory "in the white", which is what they called a body in primer.

Thus, it is NOT a LeBaron bodied car, but rather a car with a body made by LeBaron .

I know that sounds odd, but it's the difference between a custom body, and a factory body made by a custom body shop.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RICHELIEUMOTORCAR said:

That Pierce Arrow I believe was in New Jersey some time ago, belonging to a region member. I will not disclose the member's name. It was known as the "Teacher's Car" as a school teacher was the original owner. I posted this yesterday but for whatever silly reason, the post was deleted. I will not say I am 100% sure but it sure looks to be the same car.

Apparently school teachers being grossly under-paid is a recent phenomenon...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, trimacar said:

I've posted a link to this sale on the Pierce Arrow Society forum.  There aren't that many Pierce convertible sedans out there, and this is a nice one.

A piece of trivia.  All Pierce convertible sedans of this era had bodies made by LeBaron, to Pierce specifications.  The bodies were then delivered to the Pierce factory "in the white", which is what they called a body in primer.

Thus, it is NOT a LeBaron bodied car, but rather a car with a body made by LeBaron .

I know that sounds odd, but it's the difference between a custom body, and a factory body made by a custom body shop.

I would NEVER publicly disagree with my good friend David. BUT........Pierce Arrow cars and convertiable sedan bodies can get very complicated. LeBaron did make full custom, semi custom, and production bodies for Pierce. Weather they were built in Bridgeport, Detroit,  or at the factory in Buffalo takes lots of study, and understanding of things not generally known to most hobbyists. The fact is, there are many cars that have tags on them that shouldn't. I can identify what cars were built where and when, and how they were originally tagged either by LeBaron or Pierce. Naturally the price of the car is greatly affected. I use a checklist to determine how and what the car is. Having inspected MOST of the known cars, I have determined there are a few true customs, a hand full of semi customs, and a bunch of batch bodies that are called "Pierce Arrow" and many of them have incorrect tags placed on them. They are ALL great cars.......I have never owned a Pierce convertiable sedan, and never plan too..........so I have no skin in the game. I don't think I have ever seen the particular car in this thread......... it sure looks nice. 1932 Pierce cars are my personal favorite year for DRIVING cars...........with some others a very close second and third. I would argue  the series 54 car is the best overall car they ever produced..........now watch all the people call me out! Ed

• Like 1

Oh, no, Ed, I bow quite humbly to your thoughts, I realize you know much more about Pierce than I do.

This particular car was driven on a lot of southern tours.  I don't recall it ever having any issues.  I also don't recall any discussion about it being a custom body.

I'm not sure of the exact year, but I think this '32 Pierce lived in Texas since the 1970's.  I'd not heard the school teach story, that's cool.

Remember, she could have been a school teacher from a rich family! 

My grandfather had three daughters at LSU in Baton Rouge, at the same time, in the early 1930's.  He bought them a Lincoln sedan so they could have a car to use!  They were all pretty girls, and one can imagine why they were so popular on campus.  He was a lawyer,and mayor of Natchez Mississippi for quite a while, so money wasn't a problem for him.  Yes, one of the daughters was my mother.....

15 minutes ago, mercer09 said:

not in NJ- they are very well paid!

Enough to buy, say, a new Ferrari (which is roughly equivalent to what this Pierce might have cost in 1933)? 

Hey Matt, are there any cars you don't know about or have heard about?  You're a collector's collector and I guess that's why you are so successful in your old car business.  The big classics were always window shopping to me, except I had one best friend who loved 35-36 Auburn Speedsters and straight 8 Buick's too.  Odd mixture I guess, but I learned a lot about Auburn's from him.  I always kind of hankered for one, but not very seriously.

8 hours ago, trimacar said:

What's going on up in Winchester trimacar?  I sold out in Virginia (again) and am (I guess) mired here in Florida to the end.  Miss the Apple Blossom Festival....my first big show in '62 and always one of the best there was.

37 minutes ago, Dynaflash8 said:

Hey Matt, are there any cars you don't know about or have heard about?  You're a collector's collector and I guess that's why you are so successful in your old car business.  The big classics were always window shopping to me, except I had one best friend who loved 35-36 Auburn Speedsters and straight 8 Buick's too.  Odd mixture I guess, but I learned a lot about Auburn's from him.  I always kind of hankered for one, but not very seriously.

There are always cars coming out of the woodwork that either were previously unknown or haven't been seen for many years. Serious big cars with limited numbers like Duesenbergs are often pretty well documented and few have escaped discovery, but for cars below that tier, there's always a chance of finding something that has been out of circulation for a long, long time. Sometimes they're just cars that were owned by a guy who just didn't belong to any clubs, so the usual avenues for ascertaining its existence (seeing it at shows and listing it in rosters) didn't happen. The stories of cars being stored in a barn for half a century are sometimes true, but they're often more hype than fact, and I'm of the opinion that 90-95% of the truly good stuff has already been discovered. I don't want to start on the incredible custom-bodied cars that "miraculously" appear at the big events each year, apparently "discovered" in some Yugoslavian hovel where it was "hidden by a Swiss doctor so the Nazis wouldn't get it" and of which many are just clever modern rebodies that everyone accepts with a wink and a nod knowing that the same group of "experts" will return the favor when their own conjured miracle car shows up on the lawn two years later. But I digress...

Yes, sometimes something cool pops up. I think Tom Laferriere is better than most at finding desirable cars that have been out of circulation for a long time--I've long admired his ability to come up with really neat stuff that just shouldn't exist anymore, like open 1934 Packard project cars. That's really extraordinary and I would credit him with having the reputation for being the go-to guy for such things as well as perhaps being in a good location and ready to go with money when the opportunity presents itself (that's key). New England has some pretty impressive stuff and there was a lot of money there in the Classic Era.

I've had a few genuine "barn finds" but nothing so extraordinary that it changed the market or made big waves. Just neat old cars that were off the radar for a long time. I think that's what this particular collection represents and we're seeing that some folks remember the cars from long ago. That's probably not as unusual as many would think.

PS: I think the Ghost roadster is under-priced.

Edited by Matt Harwood (see edit history)
  • Like 2

A friend tracked my '41 two-tone gray Buick Limited to Meadowbrook in 1990-1992 and to and son of the guy I sold it to, for which I only have the first name of "Jeff".  I think I won't live long enough to ever find it now.  I also know of a '35 Auburn speedster stashed away in Maryland, a partial restoration when the owner passed.  I'm told nobody in that family would or will sell it? Did you ever wonder why people do that, especially when they never had interest when the owner was living.  I think cars go down in value locked in a garage more then they ever go up.  But you would know better than me.  I could always sell parts like crazy, but could never sell cars.  Friends have nicknamed me "buy high, sell low Earl" and, ha, I've certainly found that to be true.  Have a great rest of the week.

1 hour ago, mercer09 said:

Not in NJ- they are very well paid!

Not underpaid in New York state, either, that I know of.

A relative of mine makes good money and works only 8-9 months 

of the year.  He took the job knowing of the summers off, and

he often travels to Europe during that season.

Now back to the car topic--- 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Dynaflash8 said:

What's going on up in Winchester trimacar?  I sold out in Virginia (again) and am (I guess) mired here in Florida to the end.  Miss the Apple Blossom Festival....my first big show in '62 and always one of the best there was.

The Winchester AACA show was huge when I moved to Virginia in the late 80's, something like 600 cars.  Over the years, it's declined, a lot has to do with the park where it's held, if there's any rain at all then no cars on the grass, and there's limited pavement space.  It got down to a very small show.  This year, weather was great, and over 200 cars showed up, the best showing in years.  Very little brass era, some 20's-40's, then a huge turnout of post war cars and up into the 80's.

The Apple Blossom festival still goes strong.  I've been in the Friday Firefighter's Parade for a lot of years, it's amazing, with hundreds of fire trucks, old and new.  It's said to be the largest fire truck parade in the world.....and I believe it....I've never been in the Saturday feature parade, it's over three hours long, which means if you bring a car, it's an all day affair.

Interesting how the original thread has drifted....those are some very nice cars for sale, and the owners had the wherewithal to keep them in top condition.  I don't know about prices (well, I do a little), but while these might be "older" restorations, any inspection will find that they're very, very nice cars.....

25 minutes ago, Matt Harwood said:

PS: I think the Ghost roadster is under-priced

Matt, I know very little about RR's, although my experience being involved with the restoration of one of them led me to believe the British engineers have way too much time on their hands.

However, after seeing your comment, and looking at the car referenced, I believe you may be much more right than wrong.  For 1925, that's a very attractive car, very distinctive, and these days with Full Classics it's getting hard to buy distinctive for 150K....

2 minutes ago, trimacar said:

The Winchester AACA show was huge when I moved to Virginia in the late 80's, something like 600 cars.  Over the years, it's declined, a lot has to do with the park where it's held, if there's any rain at all then no cars on the grass, and there's limited pavement space.  It got down to a very small show.  This year, weather was great, and over 200 cars showed up, the best showing in years.  Very little brass era, some 20's-40's, then a huge turnout of post war cars and up into the 80's.

The Apple Blossom festival still goes strong.  I've been in the Friday Firefighter's Parade for a lot of years, it's amazing, with hundreds of fire trucks, old and new.  It's said to be the largest fire truck parade in the world.....and I believe it....I've never been in the Saturday feature parade, it's over three hours long, which means if you bring a car, it's an all day affair.

Interesting how the original thread has drifted....those are some very nice cars for sale, and the owners had the wherewithal to keep them in top condition.  I don't know about prices (well, I do a little), but while these might be "older" restorations, any inspection will find that they're very, very nice cars.....

In 1962 and for a few years later the show was held at the Handley (sp?) high school.  I witnessed what was said to be the car that had commanded the highest price ever paid for an antique car there ($10,000 for a 1910 Thomas Flyer).  Somewhere I have a grainy 8mm movie of the car coming in.  I sure have seen a lot of changes in the old car hobby in my time.  And, I doubt that was the highest price in in 1962 or 63, but I do remember Duesenberg's being offered for around $3500.  Am I old?  You betcha ??

2 minutes ago, Dynaflash8 said:

In 1962 and for a few years later the show was held at the Handley (sp?) high school.  I witnessed what was said to be the car that had commanded the highest price ever paid for an antique car there ($10,000 for a 1910 Thomas Flyer).  Somewhere I have a grainy 8mm movie of the car coming in.  I sure have seen a lot of changes in the old car hobby in my time.  And, I doubt that was the highest price in in 1962 or 63, but I do remember Duesenberg's being offered for around $3500.  Am I old?  You betcha

Yep, I could see a show on the Handley High School campus, although that was way before my time in Winchester.  Judge Handley was a bachelor, around the turn of the century (1901, the OTHER century) he worked in Winchester and fell in love with it.  He left a lot of money to the City of Winchester when he died, to fund a high school and library.

If you're ever visiting Winchester, it's worth it to see both of these facilities.  The high school looks like a college campus.  It's one of the very few endowed public schools in existence.  The library is an architectural work of art, complete with copper roof, interior spiral staircase, and, on one of the upper floors, a lighted glass floor.  It also has a theatre in the basement, which is rarely seen.

But, we digress, sell those cars!!

• Like 1

Enough to buy, say, a new Ferrari (which is roughly equivalent to what this Pierce might have cost in 1933)? 

well avg salary in NJ is 90k and many making 130k after 10 years. not bad for 180 days a year of work, which I consider a part time job........ and dont forget the pensions at 50% of salary!

20 years ago a book was written- The Millionaire Next Door

Highest income and savings by profession were school teachers at that time- not too shabby, though they will ALL let you know how broke they are. ( I have four friends who are school teachers and my violin comes out quite often!)

• Like 3

In the mid Twenties, it wouldn't be inconceivable to buy a new Pierce-Arrow on non-millionaire salary. Packard, followed by Peerless and Pierce, introduced "owner driven" luxury cars which were slightly smaller than their previous models and cost $2,000-$3,000 in roadster or phaeton body styles.

I worked as a Teachers Assistant 20 years ago and gross pay before taxes averaged $6,666.  Kansas schools pay somewhat lower salaries than other states.

Beautiful collection - hope they all find good homes soon!

On 7/24/2018 at 3:33 PM, mercer09 said:

not in NJ- they are very well paid!

I think that one aspect of the teacher compensation discussion that never gets mentioned is that a teacher works 180 days a year at 6.5 hours a day vs. 270 days a year 8.5 hours a day for a standard job.   Mix in the health and retirement benefits (which are not matched anywhere outside of government jobs) the per hour pay is actually quite high.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/24/2018 at 4:46 PM, John_S_in_Penna said:

A relative of mine makes good money and works only 8-9 months 

of the year.  He took the job knowing of the summers off...

Some of the world's worst teacher's do this. I wouldn't brag about it. I do NOT respect ANY teacher that says they teach for the summers off.

On 7/31/2018 at 9:54 PM, alsancle said:

I think that one aspect of the teacher compensation discussion that never gets mentioned is that a teacher works 180 days a year at 6.5 hours a day vs. 270 days a year 8.5 hours a day for a standard job.   Mix in the health and retirement benefits (which are not matched anywhere outside of government jobs) the per hour pay is actually quite high.

Any teacher worth their salt spends a LOT more time working than what you've just posted.

• Like 1