1983 Buick Riviera w/32k original miles value

Hi guys i have a 1983 Buick Riviera w/32k original miles,fires up like pit master but i honestly don't know the value it is Well,VERY Well taken care of as i use it for music videos and car shows,very clean inside out and a show stopper.The question i really need help with is the value because i see different values but not many with only 500 produced in the same standard thx. 

IMAG0123_1.jpg

IMG_8597.jpg

Edited by Ab1983
Licence Plate showing (see edit history)

Do you at least have the original wheels? With all the custom add ons for whoever did its tastes, my guess is a generous 4K. It will take a lot of work to put back to stock and thats what most here look for. Once a car gets customized to this extent, finding the guy or gal with the same outlook is pretty slim.

Throw those wheels and tires in the trash and put the original wheels back on with a nice set of radials with a narrow whitewall like they had back in the '80s. Then fix the suspension because it sits pretty low. Then scrape that tint off the windows. Hopefully you didn't do anything to the original radio. If you did then take all that crap back out and put the original radio with cassette player back in. If you cut holes in it for speakers and/or amps that will obviously hurt the value of the car. Then post more pics to include the interior, engine, trunk, etc....

I'd say the value is close to 0 simply because it will cost the $3-4k the car is worth to put it right again. It is always wise to assume that anything you do to a car to customize it to your specific tastes will not add value (at best) and will be a demerit at worst. A brown 82 Riv, no matter how nice, is not a valuable car. A brown 82 Riv customized to your taste will require someone with the exact same taste to appreciate it, never mind pony up the cash to actually own it. Most buyers will move on and find one that hasn't been "personalized."

• Like 1

Ab1983, I just have to jump in here and give you some support. But first, thank you for dropping in here and brightening up our weekend ! Welcome, friend ! Now for the "Pimpmobile". My personal tastes are originality, along with 99.9% of all us forum guys and gals. That said, it IS Pimp ! And I just love your tires. They go so well with the paint and 'stripes. (No jive.! For real !).  I would leave it just as it is, but take the "chariot slashers" off one side for sales demo only. That way a prospective buyer can see it both ways and then have it THEIR way. "Pimpmobile" that it is, you might look at your local demographics, and show it and advertise it accordingly. OR , you could change careers and just keep it. Then you could depreciate it as a cost of doing business ! Please see an accountant for advice. Oh, and a retainer for the right lawyer might not be a bad idea either. After all, with THAT  ride, you will be right out on front street.

Good luck with the sale, Ab'. Please let us know how you make out !            Sincerely yours ,    -  Cadillac Carl,  only an EX pimp. ??

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I was the body man at Constantine Lincoln Mercury, Monongahela PA. back in 1973. One of my hated jobs was helping a local body "customizer" cut off the "continental hump" off of brand new Mark IV deck lids to scab them on to late 60s and early 70s Eldorado deck lids. While I was there I believe he did about a dozen of them. I wish I had taken photos of some of these "Pimpmobiles". The one I remember best was a 1971 Eldorado. Robin's egg blue with a white 3" thick padded half top. Also it had the landau bars and oval portholes. The rear window was diamond shape with a TV antenna. Full width wide white walls. Very gaudy wire wheel covers with spinner type hubs. Also a set of Longhorns on the hood. The interior was white fur.

In the alley behind the dealership, the sight of several large FoMoCo shipping boxes and the new deck lids with a big hole left in them was a common sight.

Ahhhhhhhh.................... "........... The fast life, and things like that..........." , Lou Rawls, 47th between Drexel and Cottage', South Side Chicago.  (Tobacco Road to Lou and y'all). 

"Diamond in the Back" , Curtis Mayfield.

-           Cadillac Carl , 57th between Drexel and Cottage', South Side Chicago.        ( Hyde Park to CC and y'all)

On 5/9/2018 at 7:47 PM, TerryB said:

The modifications are going to greatly devalue the car compared to the same car in all original condition.

Thanks alot i appreciate the time for the feedback.

• Like 1

On 5/9/2018 at 7:47 PM, deaddds said:

Do you at least have the original wheels? With all the custom add ons for whoever did its tastes, my guess is a generous 4K. It will take a lot of work to put back to stock and thats what most here look for. Once a car gets customized to this extent, finding the guy or gal with the same outlook is pretty slim.

I dont have the original wheels i actually gave it life again from when i first purchased it but took a chance because of the mileage and the beauty of it.Not to mention a Classic..lol ..

1 hour ago, EmTee said:

Please tell me this wasn't a Riviera XX...

It looks like one to me. If you look back through the history of special models, those are the cars owners with modify or customize to make them one step more exclusive. By the one that is really special and give it a bump. That car is at the end of that particular era and carries over a lot of the '70's to early '80's mod style. I was looking at '70's pimp Eldo's a few years ago and some clean lightly used "customs" were in the $6,000 to under $10K. I thought there were some deals out there.

I really enjoy taking my '86 Park Ave convertible out. It fits into that genre. I rarely take it where the "real, knowledgeable" guy guys go, just enjoy it alone.. Last time I got near one of those guys I heard "A, yuk, yuk, that car must have gone so fast the roof blew off, A, yuk, yuk." I thought he snuck off to a car show with Minnie.

If you made money on the videos you did good. If you bought the car that " i honestly don't know the value " and didn't do well on the videos either.... you still have an opportunity to learn.

There is a Low Rider forum, yes, I do belong to it because I like drop top Cadillac conversions, try posting it there. I'd say ask $4,000. If you end up with $1500, take it and buy an old truck. Make cowboy music vids and throw the truck away afterward. Kickers means something a lot different to that group. You might like it.

Bernie

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)

• 4 weeks later...

Lets assume it is a XX (20th anniversary) based on the XX on the chrome "things" on the trunk and the owner saying only 500 made. .

No pictures of the interior, which was special so you don't know what it would take to get the interior back to original.

Latest old cars price book shows $9,500 for a #1 with V6 and $10,600 with the V8 plus 20% premium for the XX model bringing the total for a #1 car with XX to $12,700.

Replacing the original wheel could cost $2,500 plus (again with #1 condition wheels)  If you did all the exterior yourself, not counting labor it would probably take $2,500 in materials.

But what else is missing and then there is the engine.....we know nothing about.   And I didn't even say anything about what it would take to get rid of that huge sunroof.

Anyone here that would pay $3000 as is?

On 5/9/2018 at 7:17 PM, Ab1983 said:

Hi guys i have a 1983 Buick Riviera w/32k original miles,fires up like pit master but i honestly don't know the value it is Well,VERY Well taken care of as i use it for music videos and car shows,very clean inside out and a show stopper.The question i really need help with is the value because i see different values but not many with only 500 produced in the same standard thx. 

IMAG0123_1.jpg

IMG_8597.jpg

This car has the same paint scheme as the 502 Twentieth Anniversary Rivieras ( Riviera XX) built in 1983 but it is not one of them.  The XX Riviera would have dark brown rocker panels and wheel arch moldings.  The bumper rub strips would be dark brown with gold inserts.  The trim around the glass would have been dark brown.  The tail lights would have gold emblems in them.  All of the trunk, fender, and hood emblems would be gold. You don't show any pictures of the interior, but if you did and the car had the XX interior, it would be leather and suede seats, German Wikton wool carpeting, a wood and leather steering wheel, and REAL burled walnut dash and door panels.  The 83 XX had the 84/85 waterfall grill, all at her 83s had an egg crate grill.  The trunk would have the same brown wool carpeting as well as a cover for the underside of the trunk lid in the same carpeting and the Riviera script embroidered into that piece.

A true 1983 Riviera XX loses a third of its value if it doesn't have the original painted wire wheels complete with beauty rings and center caps.  I've owned two of them and I found them very hard to sell because one didn't have the trim rings and the other had bumper strips from a regular Riviera (apparently a previous owner messed up the original and cuoldnt find the correct one.)  I actually traded one for a paint job on my 1970 Skylark and sold the other one for around $3500.

This car should be valued as any other 83 Riviera and you need to take into consideration the wheels, trunk lid, painted stripe that separates the colors, and continental kit when pricing it.  

• 1 year later...