Please introduce yourself...

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Trapdoor2

Hi y'all!

I'm Marc, down here in Nawth Alabama. New to the AACA (got my membership card a few days ago), not exactly new to the forums (I've been reading for a month or so) and new to my '55 Buick 76R (had her 2 weeks). She's a beaut, in white/red/white (trim code BSB). I'll post pics when I get a little time to take some. She's had an exterior respray but her interior is original. Engine has been rebuilt and the engine compartment is squeeky clean and fresh; rebuilt Gen, fresh bearings and brakes on all four corners. Everything electric works (windows, seat, lights)...except the antenna, gotta sort that out. PS and PB work nicely...she stops nice and straight. She's showing 66K miles on the clock...and based on the interior and underneath, that looks about right. She's 2yrs older than I am...and in better shape! :cool:

However, she arrived with some issues...mainly not running very well, but I knew up front that I would have to sort out this kind of stuff. Having been raised among hot-rodders (Dad was a S.Cal rodder in the 50's & '60s) and in a family of mechanics (aircraft mechs., including myself), working on the '55 sounded more like fun than anything else.

Today, my older brother and I spent an enjoyable few hours sorting out the timing (was 15+ deg @ 350rpm, now 7deg...dwell 30deg), adjusting the accelerator pump to spec (thanks to the info on the Post-War Buick forum, I printed out a Carter WCFB manual) and tweaking the idle jets, etc. She is now purring nicely. Test drive went very well! At least now I can take her to the DMV and get her registered, etc.

She's not a 100pt show-car...but going to be a weekend cruiser. My wife wanted something she could drive (no stick for her) and the Buick really fills the bill. We had been looking for a 50's-era car (tri-five Chevys, mostly) when this Buick showed up...love at first sight.

I'm active on several other forums (Banjos, Bicycles, etc.) and I've already gotten a pile of great info out of the post-war Buick forum. I don't know if I'll be able to add much...but we'll see!

hay all i am Ray ,read the forum daily but dont often post ,i have learned so much on this site and find the storeys and pics quite entertianing .i m in vancouver canada building a 32 57s maglauglin need to build a moter to finish this car

Welcome Marc

55 was a good year. You will find there is a broadbase of knowledge in the folks here on the forums and alot of people eager to help you when needed. I am partial to the 55's myself. You will spend alot of time in Buick Post-War and find some passionate Buick lovers. TexasJohn

Ray,

An official welcome, although I recall communicating early about some '32 questions. I hope you can get the car finished to make it to the National in Portland, OR next summer. Would love to see the differences between the Canadian and US version of the same car,

John

Guest lupocamino

Hi friends,

although I am already an active member since April this year I haven't introduced myself yet. The reason was that I got access to the forum because I was in trouble with my newly bought 1952 Buick Super Convertible.

On April 3rd this year I have bought me this wonderful red Buick only 80 km away from home. I tested it carefully before buying but sometimes things do not develop like they should.

On the way home the engine started to rattle, first only silently and then more and more until -suddenly- a big bang, smoke, silence. The inspection of the motor showed me a big hole in the block on drivers side. That's how my buick-adventure started.

I then contacted the seller directly and we came to an acceptable arrangement. But I was so confused so I forgot my correct introduction here in the forum.

Today I am in a much better mood even though my Buick is not yet running. The reason therefore is that I first had to organize a new (used) engine and then I had to let it be disassembled through my mechanic. After the inspection of the engine, the broken one was taken out of the car. Today we are starting to re-assemble all parts after we were cleaning them.

Even it was a terrible experience that I could not drive my Buick this year today, looking back there was also a big advantage that this happened: I am now able to clean up and restore the whole engine-compartment. The season here in Germany now is over so I hope that in spring all the work is done and my wife and me we can enjoy riding our wonderful "new" car.

I hope you will still accept me in the community and send best regards from Germany,

Wolfgang

Edited by lupocamino
english grammar - not my asset (see edit history)

Guest lupocamino

Hi Ben,

I have already found my engine through this forum. It came from a very friendly and helpful guy in NC. I am still in contact with him. I hope I can share more friendship and also useful informations and support in this forum.

Have a wonderful day and many thanks for your welcome,

Wolfgang

• 2 weeks later...
Guest denny_W121

Well I've been hanging around the forums for a year or so now and I've introduced myself before, but I have recently moved to the St Louis area. I posted awhile back in the buick forum about my friends farm that had a few classics behind the barn. I'm finally headed that way this weekend, anything I need to pay attention to besides VINing and getting pictures of them all.

Hi friends,

...On April 3rd this year I have bought me this wonderful red Buick only 80 km away from home....On the way home the engine started to rattle, first only silently and then more and more until -suddenly- a big bang, smoke, silence. The inspection of the motor showed me a big hole in the block on drivers side. That's how my buick-adventure started....

I hope you will still accept me in the community and send best regards from Germany,

Wolfgang

I just read this and wanted to make sure you knew that any Buick gal of guy is welcome on this forum... I am sorry that you had that problem on the way home from your purchase. That had to be a heartbreaker.. And I am glad you were able to move forward with this project. How about some pictures. A red 52 Super Convertible is very special...

Guest Oldnotdead

Hello,

just signed up. I have a 1949 Buick super estate wagon that I am having a lot of fun with. I joined mainly to see how you guys figure out how to keep things running and the knowledge that is focused here. Thanks. OND

I'm an old guy (70) trying to recapture his youth. I'm looking to buy a nice Buick, Oldsmobile, Cadillac or Packard from the late 30s or 40s. I owned and fixed a lot of cars from this era, when I was younger, but never had the money to buy something nice or fix it up to be a reliable or comfortable ride. It was a lot harder in 50s and 60s, too. Your only source for parts was what leads you could get from the local phone book. In SE Wisconsin, that wasn't very much. Consequently, we had to cobble together a lot of crap! I think the best car from the 30s I ever owned was a 37 Chevy with a GMC truck 6 cylinder engine, transmission, rear end and suspension. I paid $200 for it and it rode like a GMC truck. I couldn't wait to get rid of it! I had a 47 Plymouth with Fluid-drive that was so bad you had to make sure there were no cars in the same zipcode when you tried to cross a street. Little kids on tricycles could accelerate faster. It was embarrassing. Of course, neither had a heater or defrosters, so if I drove them in the winter it was with the windows open. Those were the best cars I owned from that era! :o

I want a nice, big, impressive sedan that I can use to take grandkids to proms and use for their weddings and take to week-end car meets and wander about the country-side on weekends. I don't mind maintenance and repairs, but really don't feel like doing any major restoration projects. I have found a few nice Buicks, I really like. I have also found a Cadillac and Oldsmoble. But, I'm thinking it may be kind of late in the season for serious shopping. So, I may keep looking and asking questions until spring.

Hi I'm Joe, New to the forum just joined because I bought my first classic car last week a 1939 Buick Special. Looking to learn about my car as I've never worked on a car this old. This car has been stored inside since 1963

Welcome Joe, great to have another '39 Buick Special on the Forum. What model did you get, and have you got some photos to share? There are quite a few '39 nuts on here and we love to share info, so when you need something, ask away. I am sure you will hear from a number of the group welcoming you. Oh, did I mention we like pictures....?

Hi I'm Joe, New to the forum just joined because I bought my first classic car last week a 1939 Buick Special. Looking to learn about my car as I've never worked on a car this old. This car has been stored inside since 1963

Hi Joe, and welcome. The car looks pretty good! I noticed the running board on the drivers side may be an issue, and the non original round taillights look like they were recessed into the body? Otherwise it looks like a Roadmaster? Nice car!

Thanks for the feedback. I will have to check into getting some original tail lights. Are the lights to outside of the tail lights blinkers? Noticed one is missing the lens.

I believe:

A) The lights on the fenders were the original stop and running lights.

B) 39's had the first turn signals

C) But they were only on top of the front fenders, not in the rear.

Thats probably why someone installed those round lights.

I believe:

A) The lights on the fenders were the original stop and running lights.

B) 39's had the first turn signals

C) But they were only on top of the front fenders, not in the rear.

Thats probably why someone installed those round lights.

1939 Buick turn signals worked on the rear only in the pair of red lights in the trunk centre.

Front fender running light were an option.

Hi, I'm Mike residing in Boise, Idaho. I recently acqluired a 1955 Buick Roadmaster with 41,000 original miles and am excited to be on this forum. I am not sure if this is the right spot to ask this quesiton but here goes. My 55 has a transmissioin leak from the torque tube. My mechanic tried to seal it but did not get the job done, does anyone have any literature that gives a step by step procedure for this repair? I bought the Buick Manual from Old Cars but is does not address this issue, thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone, I should have introduced myself earlier and i do apologize.. My name is Benny and i am from Sydney Oz.. Hope everyone is well in all is good in your neck of the woods.

I own a 63 Riv which i am restoring at the moment. Spending a lot of time on this forum searching for info and advice and one thing i would like to say is "THANK YOU SO MUCH" to everyone.. :) Without all this knowledge and information a young 30 year old like myself could find himself in a bit of a pickle.

Thanks again everyone and by golly our Buicks are awesome.. :)

G'day John..

Thank you for the greetings. Actually I only noticed one bloke on here. I know of a few guys from the local Buick club, Great chaps they are.

Now it's time for me to start ordering parts for my restoration. .haha

All the best mate.

Benny..

Guest rattrig

Hello, my name is John and Im very new to this. Im from Long Island NY. I have a 1955 Buick Special. 264 3 speed 2 door. I tried uploading some pics but it said the files were to large.

Guest Munsterbuick

Hi folks. Name is Anthony. Been learning for a while with great interest and envy towards you guys across the pond! Bought a 53 super 4 door for my dad and ready to start the survival story. His favourite car from his youth and it's already made him feel young again! Look forward to learning loads and making connections. Míle buíochas from Ireland

Hi folks. Name is Anthony. Been learning for a while with great interest and envy towards you guys across the pond! Bought a 53 super 4 door for my dad and ready to start the survival story. His favourite car from his youth and it's already made him feel young again! Look forward to learning loads and making connections. Míle buíochas from Ireland

Welcome, Anthony.

I have seen the pic of your car. NICE. Will be watching.

Ben

Hello Fellow Buick Enthusiasts, Little Terry Wiegand here, also know as The Buickologist. I sure did not know that the WORLD FAMOUS 1954 BUICK ENTHUSIAST down in Georgia is a Jarhead. Please do not hold this against him. I did my bit with Uncle Sam's Canoe Club decades ago. Lamar, THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE TO OUR COUNTRY! I think we are all guilty of not thanking our veterans enough for what we have here in this country. I am thankful that we can all drive Buicks and Chevrolet Trucks because of our military folks. Barbara and I wish you all a very Happy Thanksgiving!! Terry Wiegand Doo Dah America

Guest tvjake228

Just joined this Forum. I have a 1951 Buick Super Riviera Sedan originally purchased by my grandparents in Riverside, CA. The car was ordered by a General at March Air Force base who was transferred before he took delivery. The dealer called my grandfather and asked if he wanted this metal flake blue one instead of the black one he ordered and it became the family car. It has 57K original miles on it but looks like 100K. I'm going to restore it to "good" condition with paint and interior as my daughter has announced that when she gets married she wants this car instead of a limo. Since she is 21 I will have a few years to work on it...I hope.

I also own a 1997 BMW 840CiA and belong to the SoCal Eights club. I also spend a lot of time on BimmerForums for this car. The BMW is also a restoration project but needs significantly less restoration than the Buick. With a top speed of 188 mph the BMW is also very different from the cruiser Buick. Very nice alternatives.

Nice to be here.

Guest Pearville
Just joined this Forum. I have a 1951 Buick Super Riviera Sedan originally purchased by my grandparents in Riverside, CA. The car was ordered by a General at March Air Force base who was transferred before he took delivery. The dealer called my grandfather and asked if he wanted this metal flake blue one instead of the black one he ordered and it became the family car. It has 57K original miles on it but looks like 100K. I'm going to restore it to "good" condition with paint and interior as my daughter has announced that when she gets married she wants this car instead of a limo. Since she is 21 I will have a few years to work on it...I hope.

I also own a 1997 BMW 840CiA and belong to the SoCal Eights club. I also spend a lot of time on BimmerForums for this car. The BMW is also a restoration project but needs significantly less restoration than the Buick. With a top speed of 188 mph the BMW is also very different from the cruiser Buick. Very nice alternatives.

Nice to be here.

Welcome aboard, love that mouth full of teeth on your status, beautiful grill. Mike

Hi, I'm Phillip! I recently acquired an awesome '67 Wildcat with about 50k miles on it. It's in great condition and I'm looking to restore it even farther.