buick5563

Please introduce yourself...

Here are some exterior shots.

There's some great overcast light, today, but the camera is my cellphone, so I apologize in advance for quality.

Thanks,

-- R

YOU are a person of FEW WORDS.

Maybe you can tell us more about you, and your automobile interest, that would be nice, and where you live.

Dale in Indy

Updated my profile. I live in the smallest municipality in the Denver area.

I like cars and motorcycles, but bought a Honda S2000 a few years back and the motorcycle hasn't had much time on the road. It's like a motorcycle with airbags.

I have a jeep for the winter. It's handy for hauling stuff around, going to the mountains to have fun, go camping or fishing, or to the rifle range.

The S2K and the Jeep have a couple things in common -- they're both manuals and they both have suspensions that are, uh, less than comfortable. Each serves a specific purpose, though, and each is great at what it does.

I like driving... long highway road trips, afternoon twisties in the mountains, racing sims.

My pop drove a buick when I was in high school. '84 Park Ave -- I think it was the last year they made 'em long. Got my first speeding ticket in it. It had a great ride.

I didn't even have my own car until I was over 30. Not because I didn't want one or have a license, but because it was easier to bike or use public transport.

So, I have this condition where I think about cars a lot. I read about cars a lot -- autoblog, jalopnik. I like learning little things about cars... race cars, rally cars. I'm no expert on anything, and don't claim to be.

As I was coasting around on the 'net, browsing for comfortable automatic cars with cruisecontrol (craigslist, hemmings), I was looking at Rolls and Benz and Jag and then thought maybe I'd consider the big American land boats. I toyed with the idea of a fleetwood. I was always looking at 4-doors. I already have a ragtop, so hardtops seemed to draw my attention. Electras always seemed to be winning the day in my little search escapades.

Denver's a good place to find cars that don't have much rust, and I ended up taking a look at a few 4-door electras from the early 70s. Each one had a disqualifier -- no cruisecontrol, crappy body or interior (too much costly work required to make nice), lots of "performance" extras put in by kids who wanted a rat-rod. I just wanted a nice, clean electra -- garage kept, under 100k miles, no huge body or interior problems, engine and drivetrain in decent shape. Then I stumbled across the 2-door pictured above. It met all the requirements, and it didn't really matter that it was 2 doors short of a full set. The green reminded me of the cutlass my pop had in the early 70s. I like green. The shoe fit, and there's the story.

I guess I forgot about the "few words" part, but that should grease the wheels, so to speak.;)

-- R

My rifle club is just outside Bennett, funny enough. You're way off. Try and find "Edgewater" on a map of Denver -- no fair cheating on Google Earth, either!

-- R

Welcome from another '71 Electra Custom 2dr owner (who likes green for a car color as well :D )

Randy, thanks so much for your post! Congratulations on acquiring a beautiful '71 Electra 225.

My folks purchased a new '71 Buick full-size (Centurion) when I was still in high school, and I still own and drive the car, so these '71's are especially near and dear to my heart.

You (and others) might be interested in the flickr photo group I established about three weeks ago. It's dedicated to the 1971 - 1976 Buick LeSabre, Centurion, Electra 225, and Estate Wagon models. We already have 386 photos added, and I'd welcome some excellent, digital images of your great Electra 225 when you have a chance. Here's the flickr group: Flickr: 1971 - 1976 Buick LeSabre / Centurion / Electra 225 / Estate Wag

I see that your car has a Deflecta-Shield! I still have the one that was fitted to my '71 when it was new, and these were a common and very effective accessory in the rural West. (I grew up in rural Eastern Oregon.)

Since you like road trips, keep in mind the Buick National Meet coming up in Portland, Oregon in 2014. Would love to see your '71 there. Cruising along Interstate-84 in a big '71 Buick is an unbeatable experience!

Edited by Centurion (see edit history)

I see that your car has a Deflecta-Shield!

Sharp eye, Brian!

A Deflecta-shield somehow tells me something about the prior owner and how much care he took for his car; these shield tend to break easily.

I also have a (NOS) Deflecta shield for my Electra (has green perspex though). Still in doubt whether to attach it or not. It is after market, but so era correct.

Edit: Ryan, I see your Electra has the chrome fender skirt moldings; I know those were standard on 72 and on. Were those an option in 71 or 'mid year change'?

Edited by 75RivGS (see edit history)

Edit: Ryan, I see your Electra has the chrome fender skirt moldings; I know those were standard on 72 and on. Were those an option in 71 or 'mid year change'?

Rob, this was a mid-year change during the course of the 1971 model year.

Randy, I just remembered that another of our members here ('electramanrob") owns this beautiful '71 Electra 225 Custom Limited in Willowmist, and it's an unusual car because of the lack of vinyl roof.

6790004946_897ce62aa1_z.jpg

6790004908_ee90242d98_z.jpg

That's lovely. It really is a beautiful color. I'm not so much a fan of vinyl rooftops, honestly. It's just one more thing to maintain (mine's been re-dyed twice), and I find the look is less clean.

Once I get the mechanical items sorted out, I'll be working on the interior, and then I'll be after the bodywork. I'd like to avoid a complete respray if I can.

Thanks for passing along the pictures. It's delightful.

-- R

Hi. My name is Rick. I'm looking for a 1970 GSX clone. I live in Marietta, GA. Any help would be much appreciated.

Hi. My name is Rick. I'm looking for a 1970 GSX clone. I live in Marietta, GA. Any help would be much appreciated.

Hello Huntz, welcome and good luck in your search. If I hear of anything I'll give you a holler

Hi my name is Josh. While my first love is forwardlook mopars, my second love is Buicks. I had a '58 Buick Special 2-door hardtop for six years, a '54 Buick Roadmaster 2-door hardtop for ten years, and a '61 Buick LeSabre convertible for two years. The convertible was owned for the shortest period of time as someone wanted to own it more than I did, if you know what I mean. I ended up having to sell both the '58 and '54 due to job loss. Nevertheless, I am confident I will eventually buy the '58 back or buy another one to replace it. I have always loved old Buick's and always will.

Edited by TailfinEra (see edit history)

hi my name is dawson i am currently a student at nti in moorsville nc and just got my 1972 buick skylark back that i sold when i was in the marines thanks to my wife who knew how much i missed it and me and my youngest son and doughter are slowly working on and hope to see some of you at the car show in concord nc

Welcome aboard Dawson. Hope to see you, your family and that Skylark in Charlotte in June. Thanks for serving. Semper fi brother.

Cpl Brown, 8th Engineers USMC '69-'72 ....now I'm just MrEarl

Hello, I'm James Friday. I live in Aurora,IL. While I am not very smart about repairing cars, I really like reading what you guys have to say. I was going to be a teacher but started selling Buicks in 1984 and ended up staying for 23 years at a Buick dealership. The customers taught me a lot about cars and I have learned a little about Buicks as well. I think there is some misinformation about Buick in China and other stories out there. People told me , "When the honeymoon wears off, a BUICK remains solid, smooth , quiet, and comfortable which is why it has lasted for many many years.

Hi everyone, I'm Shawn. Just registered a few days ago. Love classic cars since I was a kid and made model kits. Don't own a Buick yet, but have been looking at a possible project. My first car was a '70 El Camino I brought back to life after driving it out of a field. Too much rust to restore unfortunately, though I was determined. Now I have three other cars to tend to but have been looking to get into something older. My Olds is my current project, and hopefully will be my driver when it's done, you can see it in my album. See you in the forums!

Hello! long time Buick fan.. had a '76 skylark in college with a hopped-up 231 and my friend had a GN back in the eighties and would chew up Camaros and GTA's..love it.

Below is a dream come true, always wanted a 50's era Buick and this was definitely "being in the right place and time".. have always, and still, wrench on old motorcycles (Trumps, Shovels) and now an old Buick. Got the manual and learning lots. Great site!

My sled...1955 Special Rivi more door, original 264 Nailhead and Dynaflow. (Series 43)

photo-2.jpg

Edited by bhead1968 (see edit history)