RIP Dan Gurney

Uncle_Buck

Google is awesome!!!!!

Dan Gurney was truly one of the best, both as a driver and as a team owner. Innovative. He was a giant in the industry and changed a lot of conventions.Way too much to cover here. But think Carroll Shelby levels of success and influence, maybe more. He competed and won in nearly every road racing series that existed.

“Over the course of 19 days in 1967, he set motorsports history. On May 30, he ran in the Indy 500, leading two laps before retiring with mechanical difficulties. Five days later, he raced in the Dutch Grand Prix. Seven days later, he won the 24 Hours of Le Mans. Seven days after that he won the Belgian Grand Prix at Spa.”

Edited by billorn (see edit history)

A little known fact about Dan Gurneys father is that he was an opera singer with the Metropolitan Opera. I retired from the MET several years ago and once during the '90s we were going thru some old books and we saw a picture of John Gurney. The person I was with told me that the person I was looking at was Dan Gurneys father. I wonder if Dan had any of his dads talent.

When I was 17 years old and looking for a car my Dad took me to the local Stark Hickey Ford dealer to look at a dark green/black vinyl topped 1968 Mercury Cougar. I told my Dad that I was a MoPar guy like him and didn't want a Ford. I ended up with a 1968 Plymouth Road Runner. I guess I should have picked the Cougar as it was a Dan Gurney Special....one of VERY few made.

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

10 hours ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

Can you tell us who Dan Gurney was?

Evidently involved with racing.

Boy, am I getting old !  John

• Like 1