1965 GS, What's It Worth?

48Super

I'm considering selling my '65 Gran Sport and I would appreciate your valuable input as to what would be a fair price to ask for the car. I would like to see it go a Riviera enthusiast and I have no interest in Ebay or an auction in order to sell it.

Basically, this car is the kind you really want to find. It is not a perfect restored car but rather an unmolested, survivor car that has been well cared for and maintained over the years. I bought the car about four years ago and the previous owner had it for 41 years, he got from his father who bought it used in 1968.

The current mileage is 99,000 and it runs and drives very well. Everything works  including the headlights, A/C, radio and all other power accessories. The car was repainted back in the 70's and the paint is nice but far from perfect. The interior is completely original with the exception of reproduction floor mats and center console wood.  The chrome is real nice, the die cast clamshell pieces have zero pits. As you can see from the pictures, I have cleaned, painted and detailed the engine compartment and the complete underside of the car. It has a new aluminized exhaust system and a NOS GS muffler. I have the original Protect-O-Plate to document that it is a genuine Gran Sport with matching numbers.

I'm probably crazy for wanting to sell this car but my interests are changing and there are other cars I want to own before I check out to the big salvage yard in the sky. Thanks for taking time to read this.

65 Riv Side.jpg

Riv 2.jpg

Riv Interior.jpg

Riv Interior Rear.jpg

IMG_3195.JPG

IMG_3201.JPG

Rear End Detail.JPG

Front Suspension Detail (2).JPG

Rear Brake Detail.JPG

IMG_2290.JPG

IMG_2335.JPG

1965 GS Trunk Interior.JPG

• Like 4

So, Haggerty has the average price for a 65 Riviera at $31,900.

A #1 Concourse is listed at about $100K and the market has had an uptick in these collector vehicles.

Right off the bat I consider a solid 65 Gran Sport with good color combination and in Excellent quality to be worth $60K. I helped a family member buy a nice 65 Gran Sport from Canada and the seller would not budge at $60K US.

The range for your vehicle I would give is $47K-$80K.

If you wanted to take it to Barrette-Jackson and get everything about perfect, it could potentially do top dollar at $75K-$100K (during the correct season and auction).

So, in selling to the right person, you might look at a $55K+ sale? There is basically a lot of room for negotiation.

When it comes down to it however, a good 65 Gran Sport is actually not that easy to find for sale (I know from constantly searching), so it does not make that much sense to sell...at this time. Plus, one might argue it is the most legendary and infamous vehicle of ALL TIME!!! 65s are still increasing significantly in value with each year.

Screen Shot 2017-11-24 at 1.16.46 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-11-24 at 1.41.21 PM.png

Edited by Chimera (see edit history)

Thanks for the responses so far.  One of the reasons I asked this group for their opinions on price was I thought the Hagerty values were unrealistic because they depend so much on auction results. One guy with piles of money and no common sense might pay an astronomical price for a car to impress his buddies and that skews the data. I'm trying to determine a realistic price that a "normal" collector  would be willing to pay as I would like to see this car go to an ROA or BCA member. 

Very, very nice car, Mike!

I agree with Gabriel - your GS should bring no less than $50k, and likely would bring $70k or more given the right buyer.  If you are patient,then waiting until late winter/spring might garner more interest and thus a higher price.  Your GS is highly optioned, with A/C,  custom interior, wood wheel, etc. and has a desirable color combo, so ought to bring top dollar. 

I'm keen to read this thread as my Verde Green GS is quite similar to yours, except mine has no A/C, and has the dark green custom interior.  I would never had believed these cars would be touching fifty grand plus a few years ago.  I'm not looking to sell mine, just curious as to where the market is these days.

Good luck with your sale.

5 hours ago, 48Super said:

I'm probably crazy for wanting to sell this car but my interests are changing and there are other cars I want to own

Probably? You have solid reliability, the most distinctive design of the century, you own it, and it is done.

I can see my Wife now, if I sold my Riviera: "Why are there so many bath towels in the laundry?" "'cause when I stand in the shower it doesn't feel like I am crying, Dear."

I sold a car because "my interests were changing" once. I spotted the car over a year later and chased the guy down to look it over again. He said "Wow, I always wanted to meet the person who owned this car. There are so many neat things about it." Yeah, I knew.

I'll bite, what would take its garage spot?

I have a fondness for mid 1990's Bentley Continental coupes, but that is just because they remind me of my '64 Riviera.

A 560 SEC Merc is nice, too, but they look kind of like the Riviera.

BMW 640i coupes do it for me too.

But I know I'd regret an exchange..... maybe an addition, no exchange.

Bernie

• Like 2

What a NICE car. While mine is no GS, it does fall into a great driver catevory with 65,000 miles. I think these cars and this year in particular, are the sexiest cars GM ever turned out. That's coming from a Corvette guy as well. I would LOVE a chance to just DRIVE a GS, much less own one.

Paul is correct, priceless.

There are some other details to consider regarding value when you get into it:

Certainly how the car runs/drives and shows in person makes a difference. 

Im assuming that your vehicle is Verde Green? Many like this color combination and it looks sophisticated, so the vehicle will hold the value well. I don't THINK it is a combination that makes the masses go rabid however, such as some of the both RARE and desirable colors (special order, midnight aqua, turquoise mist, burgundy mist, or regal black for example). You have the faux wood wheel with horn bar, which is a big plus (looks upside-down in picture), no power side vent windows (some prefer the manual so may be a wash). The rear center arm rest is a plus. Also, your chrome wheels look nice, however we don't know for sure if they are the original and 65 legit wheels (or maybe you do?), but many I have investigated have not been the correct or original. Do you have the four note horn option? Is the spare tire/wheel original?

The documentation is also a big deal for many, as we know. You have the protect-O-plate, but what type of other documentation? Build sheet would be great obviously. 

I sure hope your talken legit 65 Shelby Cobra or split window Corvette caliber...if indeed you want to replace this beauty. 

Either way...your sitting pretty!

Screen Shot 2017-11-24 at 6.24.55 PM.png

Edited by Chimera (see edit history)

OK guys here's some answers to your questions and comments:

Yes the car is Verde Green. The combination of saddle interior with the green really looks great and get lots of compliments. If I could have purchased a GS new in '65, this is the combination I would have chosen.

The car has the 4-note horns, rear defroster and remote trunk opener in addition to the visible options. The road wheels are in excellent condition and are correct as far as I can tell. The sport wheel and original horn bar are just about perfect (the wheel is on correctly, the front wheels were turned when the picture was taken). The chrome air cleaner is so nice it looks like it just came out of the box yesterday!

Prior to my purchase, this car was in the same family since 1968. The previous owner and his father operated their own service station and this car lived  there in its own bay for decades. The literature I have includes the original owners manual, accessories manual and service policy. No build sheet unfortunately.

As far as what I'd like to replace it all I can say is I don't have anything in mind right now but I'll know it when I see it. I'm not in a hurry at all to sell the car so I can wait for a more favorable time. I'd like to have the money sitting in the bank so that when I do come across the right car I can jump right on it. I agree that really nice cars can be hard to come by and if I sell my Riviera I want to buy something equally as nice. 

OK Riviera People: There was a gentleman who owned a trio of these. His target price was 50K. They appeared, from his presentation, to be fabulous. Another gentleman from this forum recently got the Low 30s.   

Tons of variables. Looking at them in the flesh rather than an internet presentation. Color. Method of marketing such as auction, eBay, collector car showroom joint, Craig's List etc.  Time of year. How the stars are aligned.

I'd put it on the eBay and see where it goes. Remember, the market tells us what it's worth. We either accept or reject.   Mitch

• Like 1

You are nuts to want to sell this car right now. In ten years it will be worth twice what it is now. If I had the money I would

take it off your hands in a heartbeat.......Most desirable GS I have seen......... period. With a show paint job it would be the nicest one on the planet, and in a few years could fetch 160K. There is no reason why these cars won't reach the value of the 53 and 54 Skylarks in a few years........it has to happen........Low production

.........check...........outrageous engine......check.........unbelievably cool styling......check check check check.

• Like 4

Unfortunately, while I would love to see Riviera values go up in the years to come, I doubt prices change much (except maybe some inflation effects). We are seeing a bump now with cars from the 80s and especially 90s, as the Gen Xers get money, but those folks (I'm one) don't seem to be super interested in 50s and 60s cars, unless Dad had one, etc.

• 5 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Just came across this thread, so please forgive the late response.

First off..BEAUTIFUL '65GS!! I hope you're still enjoying it. As the owner of a very nice, unrestored non- GS, I track values regularly and yours is EXACTLY the car I'd like to own. Nothing against the frame off resto cars, and my preference would be original patina, coz they're only original once. 

You asked for opinions, and though it may be irrelevant at this late date, personally, in my mid America area market, I'd ballpark it @ $70k currently.

By the way, I admire and respect your desire to try to get it to someone who will appreciate what it is. 

Art