US Trip

hidden_hunter

Hi guys,

I've got a holiday to the states coming up in November and was wondering if there are any car places I should try and check out that are nearby to where we're going

Dallas 1 day

San Antonio 2 days

Chicago  3 days (sadly I don't think I can make it out to the Gilmore car museum)

Orlando 4 days

New York 3 days

Washington  7 days (planning some road trips)

Dallas

Will be in DC for Thanksgiving, any suggestions for what to do

Perhaps with several days in D.C. : The Smithsonian. But plan your visit there thoroughly. Concentrate on areas of maximum interest. Good advice for all large scale world class museums. Now , ahhh , well , ummmmm , speaking of fodder in Chi , if you find yourselves hankering after a hot dog on Clark Street at night , if you and entourage have anything other than titanium ears , NOT FROM HER ! This saucy , salty , salacious , Soul Sister breathes FIRE ! She singes and sears ears ! "The Doll" and I stumbled across this phenomenon by accident one night. Her XXXX rated mouth is somewhat famous , and draws crowds ; leave the kids at home. There. I will be absolved of responsibility if you have a close encounter with this sis in my old home town. Have you been to the U.S.A. before ?    -  Carl 

image.jpeg

I've actually been fortunate enough to go to the states about a dozen times or so in the last 10 years but my girlfriend has only been once before, so it'll be a good trip (asides from the whole 15 hour flight from Australia... I've got off that flight before on to a connecting flight sitting next to someone complaining about jetlag from a 2 hour flight)

We definitely have a few museums in mind for DC but we're also looking to rent a car for a few days and go for a drive, as there is so much to do within a short drive of DC. I went to Gettysberg on one of my earlier trips and that was fascinating so I might take her up that way as well. I might have to rent myself a Cadillac :-)

I love the food you can get in the U.S, so much variety - though I am a sucker for some good BBQ down south. 

12 hours ago, hidden_hunter said:

Hi guys,

I've got a holiday to the states coming up in November and was wondering if there are any car places I should try and check out that are nearby to where we're going

Dallas 1 day

San Antonio 2 days

Chicago  3 days (sadly I don't think I can make it out to the Gilmore car museum)

Orlando 4 days

New York 3 days

Washington  7 days (planning some road trips)

Dallas

Will be in DC for Thanksgiving, any suggestions for what to do

You could go to the Capitol and visit all the turkeys.  Welcome to America !

If you go from Washington to Gettysburg, you won't be far from the AACA Museum in Hershey, Pennsylvania, which always has some very nice cars from the teens and twenties.   The Rolls Royce Owner's Club (RROC) and Foundation also has an interesting auto museum in Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania, but I recommend that you contact them in advance because I think their visitor hours/days are rather limited.  The Klairmont Kollection in Chicago is extensive, but more focused on post-WW2 cars, and I believe that you have to request a visit in advance.  The Volo Museum and Dealership north of Chicago is also a fun place to visit.

DO NOT LISTEN TO THE GUYS PIZZA CHOICES FOR CHICAGO...THERE IS ONLY ONE  GIORDANO'S!!!!  :D  Malnati's a second choice.  Chicago is a major opportunity for museum visits from the campus where there is the Museum of natural History, Shedd  Aquarium and the Planetarium!  You also have great art museums. There is the Volo car museum to the north and several MAJOR private car collection in the Chicago area that I may be able to get you an invite.

Food, as others suggested is OUTSTANDING in Chicago and you simply need to know what kind you are interested in!  Spent over 30 years in the area and it is just an amazing city.    

• Like 3

If you are in Chicago in the Rosemont suburb will be the Muscle Car and Corvette Nationals. The Pebble Beach of Muscle Car shows. It is the weekend before thanksgiving. Nov 18 and 19. I will be there from NY with my '73 Buick and it is a "Must do show" if you are into these type of cars. All original cars and different every year.

fullsizeoutput_18c6.jpeg

IMG_9159.JPG

Edited by philip roitman (see edit history)

7 hours ago, Steve Moskowitz said:

DO NOT LISTEN TO THE GUYS PIZZA CHOICES FOR CHICAGO...THERE IS ONLY ONE  GIORDANO'S!!!!  :D  Malnati's a second choice.  Chicago is a major opportunity for museum visits from the campus where there is the Museum of natural History, Shedd  Aquarium and the Planetarium!  You also have great art museums. There is the Volo car museum to the north and several MAJOR private car collection in the Chicago area that I may be able to get you an invite.

Food, as others suggested is OUTSTANDING in Chicago and you simply need to know what kind you are interested in!  Spent over 30 years in the area and it is just an amazing city.    

We like all types of food! But I think we will have to go out of our way to try some of the cuisines in Chicago. We'll be getting our  fix of BBQ and Tex-Mex down south :D How far North are they? I've heard driving in Chicago is awful so I'm not sure if I want to rent a car there?

7 hours ago, trimacar said:

The Udvar-Hazy Air and Space Museum (close to Dulles airport outside Washington DC) is a must see.....

Udvar-Hazy is excellent, after this trip the only shuttle I won't have seen is the Endeavour

9 hours ago, Mike36 said:

You could go to the Capitol and visit all the turkeys.  Welcome to America !

The animals or the politicians :P

Will there be restaurants open for Thanksgiving or should I get on and book something now? We're thinking of staying at The George in DC as we're getting Amtrak Alcea from NYC

If you are staying in downtown Chicago uno’s and duo’s or Lawreys are a short cab ride. Grant park along the lake is great and the field museum, planetarium is also a short ride. Weather can be all over the board but usually cool to cold in November. You may even be able to catch a bears game. If you rent a car parking can get expensive. There is an el train from O’Hara to downtown but be careful if late at night. Downtown at night is ok on Michigan ave don’t go wandering to far off of it unless in the old town area.  Chicago has a high crime rate as does Washington compared to Australia so be aware, alert and safe. 

12 minutes ago, SC38DLS said:

If you are staying in downtown Chicago uno’s and duo’s or Lawreys are a short cab ride. Grant park along the lake is great and the field museum, planetarium is also a short ride. Weather can be all over the board but usually cool to cold in November. You may even be able to catch a bears game. If you rent a car parking can get expensive. There is an el train from O’Hara to downtown but be careful if late at night. Downtown at night is ok on Michigan ave don’t go wandering to far off of it unless in the old town area.  Chicago has a high crime rate as does Washington compared to Australia so be aware, alert and safe. 

Thanks for the advice, we're staying at the knickerbocker which seemed like a reasonable "active" area from a safety point of view

If you're driving, stop at the Simeone Museum in Philadelphia. They're near the Airport. It's between D.C. and NYC, right off the main highway, I-95. Also near I-95 is the Independence Seaport Museum and several interesting ships you can tour, including the last of Admiral Perry's fleet from the Spanish-American War era.

Phil

11 hours ago, hidden_hunter said:

Thanks for the advice, we're staying at the Knickerbocker... 

I don't know the Knickerbocker, but if you like historical

architecture in Chicago, at least see the spectacular interior

of the Intercontinental Hotel on Michigan Avenue.  It's in

the older part of the building, and the stairs cascade up

about 8 stories, with spectacular architecture from every angle

and grand meeting rooms:

Intercontinental Hotel Chicago 1.jpg

Intercontinental Hotel Chicago 2.jpg

Intercontinental Hotel Chicago 3.jpg