Opinions on a "questionable" deal or scam?

StylishOne

Was recently offered an interesting very rare car. First I was offered another model but felt the price way high and totally wrong fabric inside, n it was restored.. not my kind of a car. Anyway then I was offered a more rare car in nice shape for 1/4 the price, n delivered! Any red flags?? Okay, first he said car was in Texas. Now he says Pa. He wants it paid then ship to me free?? Really? Love to catch this guy who's praying on collectors.. I doubt strongly this is real..Feedback?

1 minute ago, StylishOne said:

then I was offered a more rare car in nice shape for 1/4 the price, n delivered! Any red flags?? Okay, first he said car was in Texas. Now he says Pa. He wants it paid then ship to me free??

Nah, I don't see me no red flags.... lol.

the only thing he forgot was the line about him being in the Military and needing to see it go to a good home.  ;) 

3 hours ago, StylishOne said:

Love to catch this guy who's praying on collectors.. 

Yes, it's definitely a fraud.  Don't fall for it.

It has all the characteristics of someone who

wants you to send money without ever seeing the car.

In reality, the seller undoubtedly has no car at all.

Criminals don't pray (if they really did, they wouldn't be criminals)--they prey!

• Like 1

A seller offering "free shipping" is almost always

a scammer, I believe.  Who would offer free shipping,

not knowing whether the buyer was 30 miles away

or 3000?  Then the criminal may say that there is a 

free return if you don't like it;  and that the car is already

at a "Google shipping center" wrapped and ready to ship,

so you can't view it!  (Google doesn't ship products.)

Just wire him the money!

Maybe he is "away at sea," or a "military man going overseas,"

so you can't see the car for that reason either.

In reality, he's probably sitting in a derelict apartment

in a hot and sweaty Nigerian city.  He thinks lying, cheating,

and stealing constitutes a better profession than herding goats!

I offer free shipping on most of the stuff I sell on Ebay. The people who live the farthest away make out pretty good sometimes.

Actually, post #1 reads more like a typical internet phishing excursion than anything else I've seen today. Who would ship to this potential buyer and wait for payment?

By the way, when you take the package to the post office or load the car on the shipper's truck, the hand is out for the cash. There ain't no free shipping, someone pays. Did Ebay train you to think it was free? :lol::D-_-:P Silly boy!

7 hours ago, StylishOne said:

Was recently offered an interesting very rare car. First I was offered another model but felt the price way high and totally wrong fabric inside, n it was restored.. not my kind of a car. Anyway then I was offered a more rare car in nice shape for 1/4 the price, n delivered! Any red flags?? Okay, first he said car was in Texas. Now he says Pa. He wants it paid then ship to me free?? Really? Love to catch this guy who's praying on collectors.. I doubt strongly this is real..Feedback?

If this is what you think it is called wire fraud 18 USC § 1343 and this is a federal offense. Even if you do catch him what are you going to do with him? The federal prosecutor won't act without an indictment and even if you can fill in all the blanks on the indictment form, everything you document would be an isolated incident and that means you need to cross the magic dollar amount to get any chance for action. Not being an official law dog you don't get to go sniffing around for proof that you're not the only one he's tried to scam and even if you can catch him in the act and hold him down until the police arrive, nothing happens.

If this is what you think it is, turn it over to the FBI and go find yourself a different car.

Unfortunately, this type of SCAM is becoming more common.  Often the "seller" says "they are currently out of the country on some humanitarian mission and they'll only work through a broker" (Sometimes Ebay)  EBAY DOES NOT OFFER THAT SERVICE.  "All is guaranteed for your protection and they will even have to government ship it to you for free".   DON'T waste you time with these crooks.   Often you can find the exact item they are selling listed someplace else on the Internet.  I too am looking for another car and this SCAM is way to common for me to trust almost anyone.  Internet cafe's on Nigeria are the source of a lot of this crap, whose going to catch them?

Remember the old saying about the fool & his money!

The last two spots were from Minnesota and then the Smokey Mountains. You guys know how to handle scammers. How far from the back door of the bar do the thickets start there anyway, usually only 300 to 500 feet around here.

There's also a poultice or two I learned from the rougher gals. Those Nigerians are still superstitious (as well as a few Americans). You email a little hint about what you are doing in the kitty litter and they will back off real quick. But just threaten them, you don't really want the to die.

Oh, Mr. Nigerian, I suggest you take me off your list.

Back in 1976 my Dad and I took a trip together and alternated paying for gas, food, and lodging. We ended up in way the wrong place. There was a lot going on around us and I asked if he was asleep. He said No and I said Let's get out of here. We packed up and got in the car. He told me to pull over to the office and get my money back. I thought it was a good idea to just go. He had me stop. He went in and got the money. When we found a safer place I asked for my money. He said "No, you wouldn't go to the office for it." I paid twice that night. I haven't had a problem in those situations since. He told me that they knew what was going on and we weren't worth interrupting a smooth night. Scammer, thieves, all those occupations want to run smooth. A guy with a gun came into the tire shop one night to rob my Uncle. My Uncle laughed and gave him directions to the gas station down the street.

I guess my family just teaches their young to handle crime in a less violent manner on the first go around.

Bernie

Of course Im not foolish enough to do anything with this guy or imaginary car deal.. though Im trying to find the owner so he knows his photos are being used as bait..I have taken the " other" steps necessary too to  put him on the radar. 

My point was more to show how much of this is around and question what can we do on our sites to protect us?? Im guessing verifying who u are for real if posting or answering .. maybe to use site period?  

Are these guys on crack to think someone would believe this tall tale?  

I always find playing the good cop too be a high risk. While you might be playing a seemingly harmless game of investigator, there is always the chance you give up one piece of information too much and then identity theft is a problem (just had my credit card used last week for an airline ticket unauthorized....) They typically hid their steps better than the avg sleuth would be able to track so at best you'll get a dry hole. If they're better at more than just basic scams then they could build a dossier on you and get more. They already know you have access to cash close to what you were inquiring about, they probably know where you are and your general interest in old cars, they know some of your contact info and it's not too hard to put together the rest if they dedicate themselves to it. I used to work in intelligence for the good US Army so it's always tempting for me to go after such folks but the reality I know is, I'm putting myself at undo risk for no real potential gain. Best to drop cold once you sniff out a scam or you may end up in a bigger one!

• Like 1

If everyone would hit prohibited on every ad they see as soon as possible maybe they will give up. There are a lot more people surfing than phishing. I do that every day. I found out about these scams when I saw my buddy's 64 dodge max wedge for sale on C/L for $2200 when it should have been $40k. I called him to let him know his car was for sale. It was in Portland c/l he lives in Kansas.Hit prohibited every chance you can. Rich

When I was looking for a US motorhome a few years back, my son would run the photos of potential good deals through an image matching search program. He quickly found the genuine ads, (on other sites, with realistic prices),  for quite a few that were offered on Craigs List. I reported them, and they disapeared.

I will ask him what program he used, though I imagine many of you folk are up to speed with the technology.

3 hours ago, Bush Mechanic said:

When I was looking for a US motorhome a few years back, my son would run the photos of potential good deals through an image matching search program. He quickly found the genuine ads, (on other sites, with realistic prices),  for quite a few that were offered on Craigs List. I reported them, and they disapeared.

I will ask him what program he used, though I imagine many of you folk are up to speed with the technology.

Try tineye <https://www.tineye.com/

I've not used it but have been told it works well.

Bob

5 hours ago, Bush Mechanic said:

...my son would run the photos of potential good deals through an image matching search program. He quickly found the genuine ads, (on other sites, with realistic prices),  for quite a few that were offered on Craigs List....

Google Images is good to use for just such a search:

You can search with one photograph, and other usages

of that photograph will be identified.

To do so, go to www.google.com.  Select "Google Images."

In the search window, click the icon that looks like a camera.

Click on the "upload an image" tab, if it's an image you have saved,

select "choose file,"  and then pick the file from your computer.

Any websites that have that same image or photo will be identified.

It's good, for example, if you have a low-resolution image of something

(such as a car ad) but need a higher-resolution image that someone 

may have posted.  It should also be good to see where else a car

is being offered for sale.