EYE ON DESIGN 17, A FEW PICS

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

In the  interest of telling it like it is (was)

Trailer parking is a horror show . It's  a smallish limited access public  marina lot with boats, cars. trucks etc.  jamming the field. Field was long wet grass. Owners are not allowed to sit with their your car.  When I asked for the reason for that I was told "the show field itself is a work of art" and owners sitting by their cars would just be clutter. But I was allowed to stand by it.  WTF! Pompous assery if you ask me. Car "watchers" provided but were often away from cars leaving them unattended. The provided "lunch" was two pieces of white bread slathered with mayo ,a piece of mystery meat, and a slab of process cheese. But go somewhere else to eat it. Seating not provided.

Show was presented to me as a concours "style" event................... NOT!

Not the fault of the show but Michigan's highway's are bad to the point of punishing your vehicles  with pot holes, poor repairs, rough surface and loose broken up pavement. I was truly surprised I didn't damage my trailer.

If you are local and easily satisfied it's fine. If you drive 600 miles and spend $1000 as I did you would be much better off with a local show, a burger, and a donation of your $1000 to local charity.

Nice venue for a show though......................Bob

Edited by Bhigdog (see edit history)

Don't disagree on I-75 from the Ohio state line to about exit 45.  We can thank our law makers in Lansing who allow 160,000 pound trucks to traverse the roads in Michigan.  The federal allowable weight is 80,000 pounds.  When you get north of Bay City the roads are fine.  The legislature continues to feed us propaganda that the heavy trucks don't damage the roads,  yeah right.  Why north of BC good roads but south of that many of the roads are horrible?

• Like 1

Boy what a grouch, The lunch was nice, choice of croissant with several choices of meat, box lunch style with choice of beverage, and nice sitting area adjacent

to the serving tent, within view of the show field, parking down the street with easy access in and out, and plenty of folks sitting comfortably in the area behind the cars

leaving lots of room for spectators to circulate around the nicely manicured lawn, dry after the morning dew evaporated, which didn't take long as it was 90 and humid..

Accentuate the positive!

IMG_2029.JPG

IMG_2030.JPG

IMG_2031.JPG

IMG_2077.JPG

IMG_2101.JPG

IMG_2100.JPG

IMG_2134.JPG

IMG_2146.JPG

IMG_2128.JPG

IMG_2073.JPG

IMG_2077.JPG

IMG_2057.JPG

IMG_2086.JPG

IMG_2081.JPG

IMG_2076.JPG

• Like 2

Not a grouch at all. Simply telling it , with out any spin, like it was two years ago . If they've corrected the deficiencies good for them. If nothing has changed i stand by my report without reservation as what to expect. In fact I left a couple of things out.......................Bob

• 2 weeks later...

I attended the show and had a great time of it. The staff could not have been more helpful. I showed up with a very large trailer and they fit me right in. I didn't win but looked over my class and wouldn't have picked my car either. Personally,  I recommend the show.

20170618_090149.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/23/2017 at 9:08 PM, Mssr. Bwatoe said:

and plenty of folks sitting comfortably in the area behind the cars

Hmmm. Nice pics, Mssr. Not to belabor the point but I don't see "plenty of folks sitting comfortably" behind their cars unless you count the edges of the show field as being with their cars. Said edges being too far away to watch your car, interact with spectators, answer questions, or generally even identify with your car. In other words the very reasons  many folks bring their cars to a show are denied at this one. Other than looking at other cars (but not being able to talk to the owners) there is little reason to attend.

I stand by my earlier comments with one addition. Show participants are asked to keep their cars on the field until, I think 1500 or 1600. I understand the rational but didn't realize it was an order subject to enforcement. 

Because of the earlier mentioned grid locked public access  trailer lot I decided to leave 30 minutes early.  Our exit was blocked by a large and  aggressive attendant (guard?).

He told us bluntly and in our faces we were not allowed to leave. I told him we needed to leave. He closed  the distance between himself and our car and very aggressively said "you can't leave until 1600 (or whatever the time was). He actually frightened my wife enough that she was cowering.

I told him "we have a medical problem NOW GET THE HELL OUT OF THE WAY" which he reluctantly did with exaggerated slowness.

So, I'm certain many folks have a fine time at this show. Unfortunately for the reasons I verbalized my wife and I did not.

In the interest of fairness in advertising the show flyer should state:

It's a concours "like" event

Trailer parking is limited and congested.

Bring water proof foot wear.

A cold and plain box lunch will be provided.

Owners are not allowed to place chairs on the field.

Exit time is strictly enforced.

If you are trailering South of DTW on Michigan I75 expect a bone jarring ride and possible damage.

When I was contacted and asked to bring my car that was not the picture that was painted.

Other than that it was a fine show.

NEVER AGAIN...................Bob and Caroline Beck

On ‎11‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 7:14 PM, Bhigdog said:

Hmmm. Nice pics, Mssr. Not to belabor the point but I don't see "plenty of folks sitting comfortably" behind their cars unless you count the edges of the show field as being with their cars. Said edges being too far away to watch your car, interact with spectators, answer questions, or generally even identify with your car. In other words the very reasons  many folks bring their cars to a show are denied at this one. Other than looking at other cars (but not being able to talk to the owners) there is little reason to attend.

I stand by my earlier comments with one addition. Show participants are asked to keep their cars on the field until, I think 1500 or 1600. I understand the rational but didn't realize it was an order subject to enforcement. 

Because of the earlier mentioned grid locked public access  trailer lot I decided to leave 30 minutes early.  Our exit was blocked by a large and  aggressive attendant (guard?).

He told us bluntly and in our faces we were not allowed to leave. I told him we needed to leave. He closed  the distance between himself and our car and very aggressively said "you can't leave until 1600 (or whatever the time was). He actually frightened my wife enough that she was cowering.

I told him "we have a medical problem NOW GET THE HELL OUT OF THE WAY" which he reluctantly did with exaggerated slowness.

So, I'm certain many folks have a fine time at this show. Unfortunately for the reasons I verbalized my wife and I did not.

In the interest of fairness in advertising the show flyer should state:

It's a concours "like" event

Trailer parking is limited and congested.

Bring water proof foot wear.

A cold and plain box lunch will be provided.

Owners are not allowed to place chairs on the field.

Exit time is strictly enforced.

If you are trailering South of DTW on Michigan I75 expect a bone jarring ride and possible damage.

When I was contacted and asked to bring my car that was not the picture that was painted.

Other than that it was a fine show.

NEVER AGAIN...................Bob and Caroline Beck

Bob,

I think it is time for you to give it a rest. 

How many years ago did you attend?  How many times did you attend?  From what I have heard it was one time three or four years ago.

I was an exhibitor a couple of years ago and I found the venue and the persons running the event very cordial.  My experience is 180 degrees opposite of your non stop negative comments including the roads in Michigan.  Pennsylvania roads are nothing to brag about and I travel to and through PA quite a few times each year including just last week for a family event.

Please consider  living up to your "NEVER AGAIN" and go out and find something that will make you happy.  Focus on the positive things in your life and be a happier person and live longer as there is a lot of data that shows this to be true.

Maybe it would be just staying east of the Ohio eastern state line?

As Abraham Lincoln said  "Most folks are as happy as they make up their minds to be."

Edited by Larry Schramm (see edit history)

7 hours ago, Larry Schramm said:

Bob,

I think it is time for you to give it a rest. 

How many years ago did you attend?  How many times did you attend?  From what I have heard it was one time three or four years ago.

I was an exhibitor a couple of years ago and I found the venue and the persons running the event very cordial.  My experience is 180 degrees opposite of your non stop negative comments including the roads in Michigan.  Pennsylvania roads are nothing to brag about and I travel to and through PA quite a few times each year including just last week for a family event.

Please consider  living up to your "NEVER AGAIN" and go out and find something that will make you happy.  Focus on the positive things in your life and be a happier person and live longer as there is a lot of data that shows this to be true.

Maybe it would be just staying east of the Ohio eastern state line?

As Abraham Lincoln said  "Most folks are as happy as they make up their minds to be."

You certainly are welcome to your opinion, Larry, as I am to mine. You are also welcome to post them, as am I. 

As to my happiness I assure you I do find enjoyment and happiness on a daily basis in most things I do, large and small.

Also,  I do very much appreciate your concern for my mental well being. Which by the way has absolutely no bearing on my and my wife's experience at that show 2 years ago.

I reported our experience as a matter of facts not opinions. It is what it is.

My only wish is that I was told the facts before I wasted $1000 and four days of my life. Perhaps my posts will spare another.

I am truly sorry you find it necessary to take umbrage at my posts. But, as I said: It is what it is 

As an aside I've been to many dozens of shows including a fair number of concours events and have never posted a negative comment on any of them. Nor did I find it necessary to do so.

I likely will continue to venture West of the Ohio/Pennsylvania state line. I also may report on my ventures as the need arises.

Again, thank you Larry for your concern as to my health and happiness.  In return we wish nothing but the best for you and your's.                                                         

As some anonymous person said:  " Don't kill the messenger".

Robert and Caroline Beck

My Dad's nick name was Beck..

I am  glad you posted. I feel your pain.. It cost a lot of money and time to show some of the older cars..

Car parts, hotels, gas, . I may spend three weeks working on the car.. Just to show it 4 hours..

Napa does not have any kaiser darrin parts in stock anymore..  I took the Darrin Jr.. to a show only because I could not find parts for the real car.. 

Jake.

gboys.JPG

dnight.JPG

• Like 1

We had a good time at the event this year.   In fact, we sat in our chairs and visited with Ericmac until the rain came.  The tour of the house is really worth seeing.   The father's day date kinda blows though.  

The pictures don't show anyone behind the cars because it was hot.  Everyone was moved back into the shade, but owners were allowed to sit behind the cars,  Box lunch with plenty of seating.  Lunch was ok, not great but when are they at this type of event.   We stopped in the rig parking lot to drop the top on our 31' Buick and it looked like plenty of parking.   Maybe they have fixed most of your complaints?    I've been on plenty of PA roads just as bad as Michigan one so that complaint is a wash.  

My only complaint is the gps kept sending us on 8mile road in a 31' Buick.  Slightly uncomfortable at times but I had a .45 double stack with extra clip was at my feet.  Not a good way to head East out of there.  Once we weave over to Pontiac then It's smooth sailing the last two hours home.   

Glad you had a good time. My experience was as stated so perhaps they made some much needed changes. I agree some PA roads are in much need of repair, and I do a fair amount of interstate driving, but I have never been on an interstate in as deplorable condition as I-75N  South of the city. It was all the more remarkable because of the contrast with fairly smooth rolling until we crossed the line into Michigan. That's not the fault of the show but nice to know for the unwary.

Roger the double stack. My Colt Combat Commander was a comfort when  our GPS took us right into the city @ 0430  the morning we departed..............Bob

• Like 1

All,

I thought that I would weigh in here as an independent. The 1923 Kissel which is in a number of your various pictures above, is mine. My wife and I have taken our wonderful 1923 Kissel Gold Bug to several national Concours de' Elegance shows East of the Mississippi, from Boca Raton in Florida, to the Willistead in Canada (First-in-Class both places). To the point of this forum's discussion, our Kissel was shown at "Eyes on Design" exhibitions in 2013 and 2017.

My wife's (and my) favorite show so far, of all exhibitions, has been the "Eyes on Design" show.

I'm very sorry bigdog, that you had a bad experience when you were there, but I guess that's like even great restaurants serving a bad meal on occasion. Nobody has ever told us where to sit on the field at Eyes-on-Design. We don't go to shows to see how good, or bad, the provided lunches are, so I can't weigh in on that; we prefer vendor food anyway when traveling. And while it rained a lot and was muddy when we won the Boca Raton show, it wasn't the organizers fault.

I would give Boca another shot. Bigdog, I'ld urge you to give Eyes another shot as well. 

My thoughts at least.

Ron Hausmann P.E.

photo 2 (9).jpg

1 hour ago, ron hausmann said:

Bigdog, I'ld urge you to give Eyes another shot as well. 

Thanks for your report, Ron. I'm glad you and your wife are pleased with the show. Your restaurant analogy may have some merit, and if there were only one unsatisfactory aspect of the show, and if It was local, I possibly would consider it again. But for us the experience was so lacking, especially after the build up I received when invited, that it is out of the question. As I said earlier we've attended  many  shows ranging from local  car clubs to very high end concours events. Sometimes we win concours awards sometimes we don't. That aspect is totally irrelevant. As you would expect, some shows are very well run and a great experience others not as much. 

My wife and I both left the Eye's show field in agreement it was the worst show experience to date, especially after our encounter with the gate guard,  to the point I felt compelled to comment on it. Something I've never done before.

Perhaps it was a confluence of events. Perhaps our issues are a one off or have been addressed. If so I say good for the show and good for the exhibitors.

That said,  our critique of the one show we attended must stand.

Again, thank you for your thoughtful post............Bob & Caroline Beck

On 10/22/2017 at 11:34 AM, Bhigdog said:

Not the fault of the show but Michigan's highway's are bad to the point of punishing your vehicles  with pot holes, poor repairs, rough surface and loose broken up pavement. I was truly surprised I didn't damage my trailer.

On 10/23/2017 at 7:37 PM, Larry Schramm said:

Pennsylvania roads are nothing to brag about.

On 10/23/2017 at 7:44 PM, Bhigdog said:

Granted. But I75, I think it was, was way beyond any other interstate I'd EVER traveled. It was remarkably bad.  Even the "repair" patches jarred our teeth.................Bob

Those roads are really bad, but I guess you never had the pleasure of driving through NYC on the Cross Bronx Expressway

Thanks for sharing the pictures of the show, real nice cars

Hi Dale,

Again, my posts are not complaints, per se, but rather are statements of fact, presented so others can make an informed decision as to whether to attend in the future.

I do realize that the condition of I75N is not under the control of the show. I mention it only as a warning to the unwary.

The "up front rules" you mention, other than a "request" to remain on the show field,  are in fact not mentioned in the pre-show paper work. Nor were they mentioned when I was cold called with a request asking me to bring my car to the show. Had they been clearly stated in either I would have politely declined.

Thank you for your polite and well thought out post.

Again, I respectfully ask you to resist the urge to "kill the messenger".....................Robert Beck

Robert,

You seem to be a lone ranger on the quality of the show. A far outlier outside of the normal experience of all of the other posters so far.  What are we missing? 

How does your complaint "Even after 3 years I-75 is the gift that keeps on giving"?  Those type of irrational statements discredits your complaints and other comments.

IMO, it looks like it is time for the moderators to close this thread.

Edited by Larry Schramm (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Outlier or lone ranger is irrelevant. If everyone else is pleased with the show it can't, nor will it, change my experience. Facts are facts. Others are entitled to their opinions. If they are pleased as punch with the show I have no arguments with them and I would not try to change their minds. It's curious that others can't accept my experience and are trying to convince me that somehow It just can't be. Well sorry, but it is what it is.

43 minutes ago, Larry Schramm said:

How does your complaint "Even after 3 years I-75 is the gift that keeps on giving"? 

A simple reading of my comment, taken in context, should answer your question.  Let me explain:

A remark was made referencing the Cross Bronx Expressway and I commented that it was, in essence, a bad experience but I was able to forget it. In contrast, my experience with I-75N was so bad it was still fresh in my mind after 3 years. Hence the "gift that keeps on giving".  

BTW, you seem to agree in your post #23. 

So once again let me say it. If everyone else loved the show I am truly  glad for one and all. But it does not change the facts of our experience. I wish the show and it's participants no ill will. 

59 minutes ago, Larry Schramm said:

IMO, it looks like it is time for the moderators to close this thread.

A shameless call to "kill the messenger".  Perhaps the message is too close  for comfort.

Again Larry we wish nothing but the best for you and yours, especially during this season of good will...................Robert Beck

1 hour ago, Larry Schramm said:

An opinion is not fact.

I totally agree. That's why I related our experience as factual events not our OPINION of those events................Robert Beck

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton

6 minutes ago, R W Burgess said:

I think you guys have thoroughly beaten this "horse". Time to move on!

I agree that there is not much more to discuss. That said. As long as folks feel the need to offer comments , and assuming those comments are civil,  it's hard to see where a moderator would bother to  get involved in an active discussion that is obviously near a natural death anyway. Just sayin................Bob

On ‎11‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 1:22 AM, nick8086 said:

My Dad's nick name was Beck..

I am  glad you posted. I feel your pain.. It cost a lot of money and time to show some of the older cars..

Car parts, hotels, gas, . I may spend three weeks working on the car.. Just to show it 4 hours..

Napa does not have any kaiser darrin parts in stock anymore..  I took the Darrin Jr.. to a show only because I could not find parts for the real car.. 

Jake.

gboys.JPG

dnight.JPG

There are  reproduction parts currently available for almost every thing on the Kaiser Darrin.

If you haven't found something, look in other places.

I have been driving mine for 9 years and haven't put a week of work into it, other than an engine rebuild after a blown timing gear.

I was invited to the EOD and had a lovely time.  Only complaint was the fact that they played loud oldies all day long, much like at a cruise night--cheapened the aura of the event.  I have since learned that enough people complained, it will be corrected next year. 

One's experience at an event doesn't necessarily reflect everyone's experience at that same event. Both can be true simultaneously.

For instance, by all accounts, the last CLC national meet in Washington DC in July was a big success for everyone...except me and my family. Due to a screw-up on the part of the show runners and one particularly unpleasant fellow show attendee, my week was ruined and my family and I left the show at 9:00 AM, before it even started. You will note that I have crossed the CLC off the list of clubs to which I am a member in my signature--I have dropped my my membership because of the miserable experience at that national meet, as well as the club's response to it.

Nevertheless, everyone else seemed to have a great time.

Both versions of events can be true.

• Like 2

Thank you Matt for one of the few cogent responses to my posts. I tried to make that exact point but the  prevailing mood seemed  to be any negative comments were treated as some sort of heresy  to be silenced  by whatever means necessary including being called a "grouch",  a "cry baby" having aspersions cast as to my mental state,  being told to "give it a rest" and to "move on".  I truly don't understand it but it's not unusual...............Bob