Has anyone been contacted by PPebbles re parts?

TheRev

Just wondering if anyone else has been contacted by him or done any business with him.  I received a private message from him last week regarding a parts wanted post I had, and I noticed he had just joined the forum last week.  Also, he has sent me pics of the car he is parting out (oddly enough a 62 Wildcat), but has asked for Moneygram payment, explaining he does not use PayPal.  That alone makes me nervous, I have always used PayPal when buying parts off the forum.

Peter, if you are reading this, nothing personal, just trying to cover my bases here.

Thanks

Yeah, sorry. If I'm buying anything long distance, it's credit card or PayPal. There's no protection for the buyer otherwise. In this day & age, if a seller doesn't want to take PayPal, he doesn't want to sell. And don't get talked into the "sending money to friends & family" method, because that negates your protections, too.

• Like 2

Thanks guys, that is what I was thinking all along.  I am going to pass on the parts, it all seemed too good to be true.  In 5 years I have seen one legitimate 62 Wildcat parted out, and all the hard to find parts were taken off long ago.

If you can get the seller to send a photo of a VERY specific area or item at a VERY specific view/angle, you MAY have a chance that he is a real seller and not a scammer. If he cannot provide the photo you ask for, forget him and move on. Never send a Moneygram.

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

That is a typical scammer message. If someone with zero posts on the forum sent you a PM offering to sell you something and wants payment through a non-secure payment method there is about a 99.99% chance it is a scam. Please click the report button on the Private Message so the moderators can see the message and ban the scammer.

• Like 2

Matthew, I reported the Private Message.  I just looked at his profile, I do not see any location.  Are only the moderators able to see that he is in Romania or is this something we can all access?  If so, how do I do that just for future reference.

Thanks

Just the name would scare me. Brings back memories of a couple of kidney stones passed the day before Hershey one year!

My Wife didn't like me pulling out of the driveway at 4:30 AM but I guess the morphine was still working.

Watch out for dangerous names.

Bernie

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, SpecialEducation said:

...In this day & age, if a seller doesn't want to take PayPal, he doesn't want to sell. ...

I'm just a hobbyist, and if I were selling a few things

out of my garage to a fellow club member, I don't take Pay Pal!

But I agree with everyone's conclusion that this was a scam.

The best thing to do is tell him you are on an oil platform at sea and will not be able to access your MoneyGram account until you are back. But if he were able to ship the part right away and when you get back you will be able to access your account then send the money. That the part and money should arrive at the same time making things fair for the both of you.

Edited by Joe in Canada (see edit history)
  • Like 2

I too received an email from Mr. Pebbles, stating that he has exactly the part I want (steering box for a 1927 Dodge fast four) in his warehouse, and even though he had obviously read the wanted ad for same, he asked me what I was looking for....

It just felt like scam all the way so I never replied.

I once had a fellow claim to have a part I needed, but he was on an oil drilling platform off the coast of Australia or New Zealand, so I'd have to send money to his brother and it had to be paid like this and so on and on and on.  I did a little research, found the names of the rigs in that area, and asked him to tell me which rig he was on and send me a picture of the rig.  Gee, he must have been real busy, I never heard from him again!

Hi Guys

Just reading your messages about this scammer, and showed you a photo of a car he is parting out

was this guys ISP located in Mountain View, California

IP 216.58.194.69

and this PayPal account wasn't set up yet

and you can send the money by Western Union to this wife in Crawfordsville, Indiana

First name Peter

buickozguy,. 

That would be a scammer. That IP address is not where he is. That is the IP address for a major Google data center. If anybody tells your his paypal account is not "set up yet" and he wants you to send money by Western Union, he is a scammer. 

We also received one of these messages from a different name, Roger Allen.  When pushed he said he was in Crawfordsville, Ind.  When we offered to pick up the parts on our way through, he was out of town on business, but if we would send the money, by "MoneyGram" he could have his wife ship the parts by greyhound.  The pictures he send were from ebay.  He was also parting out a 1970 Wildcat convertible - convenient, no?  I was disturbed that he got the info from this forum.

Reading with interest and it occurred to me , what is safer , asking seller to send money request through PayPal or send money to his email address through PayPal. Also if using PayPal is there protection if item is a scam. I know ebay are good about such instances 

cheers

pilgrim