Rescue of abandoned VW bus found in the woods

Rusty_OToole

They found this 1955 VW bus abandoned deep in the woods on a French mountain thanks to a tip from a mushroom hunter. They found it, bought it from the land owner and DROVE IT OUT a few days later. Most extraordinary story.

http://www.doityourselfrv.com/abandoned-volkswagen/#

Same video from Youtube

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)
  • Like 3

Very well produced and entertaining video; however, I believe that it is just another "reality" presentation.  With that said, I enjoyed it very much and thank you for posting the link to it.

Cheers,

Grog

While I admire their enthusiasm I keep asking myself, WHY! We're not talking about a one of a kind, super rare vehicle. A helicopter???

5 hours ago, DavidAU said:

Good story.  I loved the hub puller at he used at 3.54 minutes.  I'll have to find one of those.

I have never seen one like that.

A guy that pulls a lot of hubs would be well off to have one. The expense of good tools in never a bad investment.

Although I have a few that I only used once.

4 hours ago, 46 woodie said:

While I admire their enthusiasm I keep asking myself, WHY! We're not talking about a one of a kind, super rare vehicle. A helicopter???

I did not study the whole video, but I think it is what is called "barn door bus".  That name is for the very TALL rear engine lid, which is much shorter on later buses.   Mid-1955 I think, was the change.

VW bus guys get pretty excited to get a barn door bus.  And not many were made, compared to the later type.  If you can't find a barn door, the next choice is any bus variation, is with the "split windshields" made through 1967.

There are countless variations of bus features during those years of splitscreen buses;  Panel, singe and double cab pickups, more common kombi with some side windows, then deluxe with the little windows on the roof and the huge sliding sunroof.  There are different seat layouts in these; some are called "walk-through" to get into the rear seat area, and others have no way to walk through.  Some of the early deluxe ones have 2 more side windows, going all the way back to the corners, and these have aluminum "jailbars" that are on the insides of the rear glasses to keep cargo from breaking the glass...these are highly prized models as well.

They are cool to look at, but if you drive one, "you will discover hills that you never knew were there" ...meaning, these had tiny beetle engines till the early 60s, therefore they are SO underpowered on any size hill.  Not uncommon to need to downshift to 2nd gear with the 4 speed box...and all splitscreens had reduction gear boxes at each rear axle end to gear it down lower, but it still does not help much on hills.

The earliest bus had 25 HP motor, and then a 36 HP till around 1960 I believe...think about driving those.  :) .

On the plus side, two could have a stoplight drag race and never exceed the speed limit.

Had a '70 Westphalia with a built dual port 1600 and an RVEECO cooler. Pulled the Cascades in 4th.

A  split window Kombi sold here in Tasmania recently for A$91,000, far short of the record, in Sydney, which I believe was well in excess of $200,000.

When the iron ore price was high, a few years ago, scrap merchants were encouraging people to bring in old cars. Many interesting 50's and 60's cars were crushed, especially from the drier areas.  Vanguard, Hillman, Humber, Ford, Holden, Vauxhall. Many were runners, as there were set prices for runners and non-runners. (They wanted the batteries, radiators, alternators, etc). Amongst them a friend of my brother found a Kombi bus with the curved windows along the roof-line, fairly intact. He sold it on ebay to a buyer in the US for A$107,000, as found. Better than scrap prices!

I have a younger friend in Germany who is into rescuing them. He assures me they have a very strong following there, and a high proportion of the enthusiast are in their 20's and 30's, which is encouraging. When he was out here visiting, he was amazed at the numbers still on the road, and at how cheap the basket-cases were.

• Like 1

We still have our '84 Westfalia camper.  We have camped all over the US with the kids and the wife and I are back camping with it again now that the kids are gone.  It is very much a conversation piece when we pull into a camp ground.

My one daughter and her friend took it camping at a outdoor concert a couple of years ago and she said she lost count the number of people that stopped to look at it. She said that the highlight of the weekend was when one couple stopped by and said "Way cool,  your parents must have been real hippies" after she told them that the camper had been in the family for about 25 years.

• Like 1

My father had this one he coined "the green machine" which went out to the West Coast and back not once but twice and we went to Hershey in once.

58befd46eaf16_1968VolkswagenWestfaliaCamper-Copy.thumb.jpg.2dd968fc56333bd68354c170afcec3ab.jpg

He then bought a 1986 liquid cooled Westfalia which was even a better unit!

Guest kytown2

Thank you for sharing this video and cool story!!   I collect VW's and I am currently the VP of the Vintage Volkswagen Club of America (VVWCA).   Here is a photo of our 1971 Westfalia "weekender" Bus! :)

1971 Westy Weekender Bus.jpg

Edited by kytown2 (see edit history)