Visiting Australia in February - cars, car guys, and sights to see?

Gary_Ash

My wife and I will be in Australia during the month of February, will be traveling from Sydney to Brisbane, hitting Canberra, Blue Mountains, Newcastle, Port Macquarie, Casuarina, Gold Coast, Toowoomba, and points in between, and willing to see more out of the way.  Where can we visit Studebaker people and cars on the way?  Any recommendations for particular sights to see?  We're not bringing a Studebaker with us but would love to see you and your cars!  We do have a tentative meeting with the NSW Studebaker people in Newcastle set up for the middle of the month. 

My cars and projects at http://www.studegarage.com

2 hours ago, Steve Moskowitz said:

Do drink some Crown Lager, don't try the Vegimite, Kangaroo meat and don't look at a "bug Lobster" before you eat it.  Scary!!!  Do enjoy some of the nicest, friendliest people in the world. Have a great time!

There is plenty of nicer stuff than crown lager, if you're  a whisky fan try to find some sullivans cove 

Australians' also tend to be a bit more direct than you might be used to in the U.S, so it's not just us being rude 

Also tipping is entirely optional here and not expected. 

Hello Gary

I have lived in Australia all my life, mainly in Melbourne but I have travelled both here in Aust and Europe and a tiny bit of USA. If you are only travelling between Sydney and Brisbane you will not see too much of Australia. You will not get to see either Canberra or the Blue Mountains. Even to see the east coast you really need to spend a lot more time About three months. It is a bit like me saying I am going to America starting in Los Angeles and going to San Francisco and on the way I want to call into Florida and New York.

Australia is a very bit place first thing look at some maps. Then talk to some of the people who live there. The big thing about looking at maps, where there is nothing on the map there is NOTHING THERE. You have to expect to drive for hours without passing a town. There are lots of good old car clubs in each of the Capital Cities. Some one make clubs too. Try doing some Google search.

The other thing is February is our hottest and driest month, Prime Bush Fire time ! You don't say if you are driving or flying. If it is your first visit I would consider flying between Sydney and Brisbane at least you will then have time to see something of both cities.

Don't reply to this now wait til you return home then you can tell me if I am right or not.

Bernie j.

Oh , Gary and Bernie : 

If I had been so fortunate as to travel to Australia , I would have have cheated myself if I had not wrangled an invitation to spend a bit of time with Bernie. Long distance driving , racing , the great automotive constructions and restorations over a long , healthy , full lifetime , this meeting would be the highlight of my trip ! And that is just me. You two engineering giants of the hobby should meet if at all possible. I don't know how far off your intended track this would take you , Gary , but really it would be a relatively short flight compared with the long haul to get to Australia. I know how difficult, no , really impossible it is to find the time to do everything you want to/should do. And too bad you cannot spend 3 (or only 2) , months down South. Something astonishing happens when one passes the one month period into a cross-cultural adventure. This is a fairly well known phenomenon. A bit like moving into a new dwelling. For the first month it does not quite feel like home in a way. After a month it does. For the first month in a new country , you experience your unfamiliar surroundings , in a way , through a filter of what you are used to. Or maybe more accurate to say , as a function of the familiar. Beyond one month , you experience your new environment directly. I don't know if this makes any sense, but I have read about and experienced this. I have spent many months , and years , a number of times living in other countries. Anyone who has done so will understand. Hmmmmm.......... , a bit of an extrapolation, perhaps irrelevant , but , as I say , if I could still travel like that these days , Bernie would be at the top of the list of interesting people I would like to meet. In any case , Gary , I know you will have a wonderful trip. I know I speak for all of your forum friends who thank you for sharing your great skills and knowledge : how much fun it will be to read about your trip when you get the time to spare to write. Probably when you get back. I expect you will be delightfully and intensely busy in Australia.

With a respectful bow to Bernie , Bon voyage , Gary !   - Carl

Edited by C Carl (see edit history)

I am disappointed that you do not plan to start here in Victoria.  If you are interested to meet people, see the most interesting antique cars, and share information on the best ways to do things, and with what equipment, you may waste your trip if you rely on someone to organise you to travel in a group.  A few years ago John and Carol Boyle were out here with a group.  Fortunately they spent a couple of days with John Hancox  on the Sunshine coast; but they were not able to visit here or contact me in the days they were in Melbourne, though they were only an hour away and they did not know. John had possibly the last Mercer built, a Rochester-Trego OHV six cyl, which had original 4 wheel brakes which we are effectively copying for our Mercers.  We had to protect Carol when someone tried to de-fraud Carol of the car after John died..  You know more than most people about fine spline Rudge Whitworth wheels and hubs.  On the floor about 3 feet from me are 52mm, early type 62mm, 72mm, 8omm, and 100mm sample hubs.  I will also need to make a suitable set of 90mm long rear hubs for the 1920  Lancia Kappa, to match the spare Tipo 8 Isotta Fraschini front axle which will bolt straight on without alteration to give 4 wheel brakes.  If you want to drive some of these cars in modern traffic, you need to have brakes to stop them.  You realise that you need to cut ( or re-cut) wheel splines with a shaper. The hubs were always made in original production on a milling machine;  but unless you have a CNC milling machine, it is far better and quicker to cut splines on a shaper with an automatic indexing attachment.  It can take as little as a minute for each progressive cut around 360degrees.  And when you get near size you can lift out the hub , still on its mounting spindle, to try for fit in the wheel.  My youngest son has different workshop skills to me. he has capability to CNC machine difficult replica radiator badges, and the super-precision nameplate etching technique he has developed gives stunning results.  I have made new rplica twin throat 105 DC zenith carbs for over a dozen people for Stutz and Lancia Dilambda, but none yet for my own cars.  I have no Studebaker, but a 1929 Pierce Arrow is closely related and mechanically similar, except that Pierce arrow needed two hands to count the crankshaft main bearings.  And by looking at three Stutz engines cast between  March and late June 1928, you can understand why the Stutz Blackhawk probably blew up in the match race at Indianapolis with the "ring-in"8 litre displacement special Hispano Suiza.  If only Stutz had one of the first 1928 prototypes available,  ( like DV3004), the contest may have been different.  And you will have difficulty finding another 6 litre, 6 cylinder cuff-valve Peugeot to examine.   If you are coming here for a moth, you need to see what you want to see, and visit who you want to visit.    In April 1970, Bud and Bernice Catlett, and Ray and Silvia Jesch from Harrah's, together with Al and Martha Helwig from Santa Rosa visited and had lunch with me.  In more recent time, two Mercer owners, Bob Sohl and Dean Butler have been here.  Anyway, I hope you enjoy your trip, wherever you go, and whoever you meet.

Lots of good comments here, thanks.  We have a lot going on in our regular lives, so a month was all we could allocate for Australia this time - but we can always go again to see some other things and other people.  Besides, I've got cars here that want to be worked on. 

My wife has cousins in several places in NSW and around Brisbane and Toowoomba, so that has driven some decisions about where and when we go.  We'll spend 5-6 days in Sydney area with some cousins, take the train to Canberra, then drive back through the Blue Mountains and arrive at the coast north of Sydney.  We are meeting up with some Studebaker people in Newcastle, though we won't be there for the club meeting on the 21st.  We'll drive up the coast, about 500 miles, to the Gold Coast area, spending about 10 days exploring the coast, trying not to become shark bait.  After meeting up with more cousins, we'll let them drive us around to Toowoomba and Brisbane.  One of the cousins who has a large sheep ranch claims to have a yard with a (mostly) snake-proof fence, though they never walk around without a well-sharpened shovel at hand.  There are few poisonous snakes in Massachusetts, but I've encountered rattlers and copperheads in other areas. 

Yes, it will be hot in February, but I much prefer that to cold and snow here in Massachusetts in February.  I've got my broad-brimmed hat, gallons of sunscreen, and sun glasses.  The weather forecast for the next two weeks looks like mostly 80-ish °F temperatures with a few days in the 90s.  Sounds a lot like visiting my daughter in Houston in the summer.  We'll live!  I'm counting on Australian beer to keep me cooled off.

Sorry to miss Bernie and Ivan and others, but maybe next trip. 

I took a ride down there on one of my Uncle's boats. Spent quite a bit of time on Kings Cross. I imagine a few things have changed in the past 50 years, though.

002.JPG

And ask how the Trigeneration 2030 job in Sydney is coming along. That should be the start of a rousing conversation.

Bernie

Gary,

If travelling from Toowoomba to Ipswich, I'd recommend a visit to the Workshops Rail Museum there - http://www.theworkshops.qm.qld.gov.au/

We visited in 2014, not car-centric but well worth the visit. Earlier that day we'd also visited the Queensland Auto Museum which was outside Toowoomba - http://www.queenslandautomuseum.com.au/ but unfortunately the collection was sold off in September - http://www.thechronicle.com.au/news/lifetime-collection-classic-cars-goes-auction/3089015/#/0

The Sirromet Winery outside Brisbane has a Cars & Coffee event Sunday 19th February - http://www.sirromet.com/ Sirromet is at Mount Cotton about 150kms from Toowoomba(you'll pass through Ipswich on the way) and about 40kms South East of Brisbane.

And in Oz, it's not " sheep ranch " but sheep station! :D

On 28/01/2017 at 10:34 AM, Steve Moskowitz said:

Do drink some Crown Lager, don't try the Vegimite, Kangaroo meat and don't look at a "bug Lobster" before you eat it.  Scary!!!  Do enjoy some of the nicest, friendliest people in the world. Have a great time!

Crown Lager is the basically same as Fosters lager, but to tighter specification on sugar, pH and other elements. At Abotsford brewery they can be in same mega bulk tank. [The original Foster brothers were from USA].  In Queensland they drink XXXX.  Those of us who live south wonder why. :rolleyes:

Vegemite is acquired taste.  Spread thinly on toast. Was developed in 1930's as a clone to the UK Marmite. Indeed for a short time was sold as "Pa Will" (opposite of Ma might). In the last few months the Vegemite brand has been purchased back by an Australian company from the USA Mondelēz (ex Kraft)

Roo meat can be strong, but needs to be well cooked. 

Morton Bay bugs are worth a try. Will be on the menu in Brisbane.

10 days on the Gold Coast is too long. The hinter land is worth a 1 or 2 days.

I am disappointed that you do not plan to start here in Victoria.  If you are interested to meet people, see the most interesting antique cars, and share information on the best ways to do things, and with what equipment, you may waste your trip if you rely on someone to organise you to travel in a group.  A few years ago John and Carol Boyle were out here with a group.  Fortunately they spent a couple of days with John Hancox  on the Sunshine coast; but they were not able to visit here or contact me in the days they were in Melbourne, though they were only an hour away and they did not know. John had possibly the last Mercer built, a Rochester-Trego OHV six cyl, which had original 4 wheel brakes which we are effectively copying for our Mercers.  We had to protect Carol when someone tried to de-fraud Carol of the car after John died..  You know more than most people about fine spline Rudge Whitworth wheels and hubs.  On the floor about 3 feet from me are 52mm, early type 62mm, 72mm, 8omm, and 100mm sample hubs.  I will also need to make a suitable set of 90mm long rear hubs for the 1920  Lancia Kappa, to match the spare Tipo 8 Isotta Fraschini front axle which will bolt straight on without alteration to give 4 wheel brakes.  If you want to drive some of these cars in modern traffic, you need to have brakes to stop them.  You realise that you need to cut ( or re-cut) wheel splines with a shaper. The hubs were always made in original production on a milling machine;  but unless you have a CNC milling machine, it is far better and quicker to cut splines on a shaper with an automatic indexing attachment.  It can take as little as a minute for each progressive cut around 360degrees.  And when you get near size you can lift out the hub , still on its mounting spindle, to try for fit in the wheel.  My youngest son has different workshop skills to me. he has capability to CNC machine difficult replica radiator badges, and the super-precision nameplate etching technique he has developed gives stunning results.  I have made new rplica twin throat 105 DC zenith carbs for over a dozen people for Stutz and Lancia Dilambda, but none yet for my own cars.  I have no Studebaker, but a 1929 Pierce Arrow is closely related and mechanically similar, except that Pierce arrow needed two hands to count the crankshaft main bearings.  And by looking at three Stutz engines cast between  March and late June 1928, you can understand why the Stutz Blackhawk probably blew up in the match race at Indianapolis with the "ring-in"8 litre displacement special Hispano Suiza.  If only Stutz had one of the first 1928 prototypes available,  ( like DV3004), the contest may have been different.  And you will have difficulty finding another 6 litre, 6 cylinder cuff-valve Peugeot to examine.   If you are coming here for a moth, you need to see what you want to see, and visit who you want to visit.    In April 1970, Bud and Bernice Catlett, and Ray and Silvia Jesch from Harrah's, together with Al and Martha Helwig from Santa Rosa visited and had lunch with me.  In more recent time, two Mercer owners, Bob Sohl and Dean Butler have been here.  Anyway, I hope you enjoy your trip, wherever you go, and whoever you meet.  Another person in Brisbane area who you would particularly enjoy meeting is Jak Guyomar.  I can give you contact details for both he and John Hancox by PM.  Both are very much of a similar mindset to you in regard to cars and restoration ability.  Jak and his American wife use a late 20's 8 cylinder Pierce Arrow "special sedan" as preferred vehicle for everyday use, still left-hand drive, though we drive on the opposite side of the road to you.    ( I probably have cousins in USA from the 1850s that we know nothing of. Great-great grandmother was a friend of Florence Nightingale, and a paid nurse at the Crimean war, while her two young children were apparently cared for by family in England.   Old great-great grandfather "beeped-off" with some other sheila on a ship to America.  An earlier ancestor definitely left no descendants in your country.  Sir Richard Grenville delivered the first settlers and equipment to Roanoke Island on the Letters Patent given by Queen Elizabeth to his cousin Sir Walter Raleigh.  Next voyage when he brought more people and supplies, there was no sign of the first lot.  He did not survive the sea battle off the Azores in 1591 between his single English ship and a Spanish war fleet.  The Spanish returned his sword to his family in England, (according to history we have read);  and the English Navy has regularly re-used the name of his ship  "Revenge" ever since.

When you find a chance to visit Victoria another time,  there are a lot of significant cars and people to see and meet.  For instance, a pre-WW1 Delage from Indianapolis is still here, restored after recovery form some technical problems, I believe.  I look forward to meeting you next time, perhaps.   Ivan

We arrived in Sydney, safely in the hands of cousins in Balmain. I noted that one of the neighbors has a '60s Humber sedan parked on the street. I'll get a photo.   The small old houses here look like a mix of Key West and New Orleans, and quite a contrast to modern downtown Sydney. 

After 6-1/2 hours Boston-LA, a 4-hour layover, and 14 more hours to Sydney, I'm weary!  A shower, lunch in the pub, and a nap will set me right. Now I have to plot all those suggestions on the map, thank you. 

Here's the Humber Super Snipe parked on the street. 

A stroll along the "high street" led us into the Woolworth supermarket for a few things. I didn't get the kangaroo meat for the grill or the "kanga bangas". 

IMG_6101.JPG

IMG_6102.JPG

Spencer: I think we will be passing thru Ipswich, will call

We spotted a 1970s Ford Falcon ute on the street yesterday. Lots of new utes here, too. Makes me wonder why we don't have Rancheros or El Caminos anymore, just huge pickups designed to intimidate. Full disclosure: I do have a 3-ton Expedition. 

We've been traveling on the many city ferry lines, walking around in the older parts of Sydney. Great place!  The Harbor Bridge (1925-32) frames the waterfront and can be seen from everywhere. The adventurous can put on special protective suits with a sturdy harness and walk to the top of the bridge structure while clipped to safety lines. Not my cup of tea!

IMG_6128.JPG

IMG_6134.JPG

IMG_6136.JPG

Gary,

You mentioned you are visiting the Blue Mountains(west of Sydney). If that is on Tuesday 7th Feb you may be able to tie it in with the car event in this link - http://councilofmotorclubs.org.au/coming-events/icalrepeat.detail/2017/02/07/473/-/oasis-february-run.html

Irrespective of that, if you do visit the Blue Mountains a visit to the Norman Lindsay Gallery at Faulconbridge is worthwhile as is a stop at Glenbrook to visit  the Aitkens Australia in the Round, which the Visitnsw.com Website describes as:…. a unique and exciting gallery, display and museum all in one with a spectacular painted panorama of famous Australian destinations. The harbour-dominated beauty of Australia's Emerald City, Sydney along with the rugged mystery of the Blue Mountains; the toughness and brilliant colours of Australia's outback; and the natural beauty of beaches scattered along endless stretches of coastline. Add the fertile riches of Australia's rural heartland and the character and excitement of Queensland's fabulous Gold Coast and you have a fascinating collage of life in modern Australia - all captured within the 213 square metres of wall space, along with hundreds of flora and fauna samples from all around Australia.”

This morning at Berrima, in the Southern Highlands, at a Veteran Car Club of NSWs event there were about 20+ mainly brass era cars together with a couple of later vehicles including a bright yellow '22 Studebaker convertible. I'd post a photo of it but I'm having uploading problems at the moment.

Gary,

You mentioned you are visiting the Blue Mountains(west of Sydney). If that is on Tuesday 7th Feb you may be able to tie it in with the car event in this link - http://councilofmotorclubs.org.au/coming-events/icalrepeat.detail/2017/02/07/473/-/oasis-february-run.html

Irrespective of that, if you do visit the Blue Mountains a visit to the Norman Lindsay Gallery is worthwhile as is a stop at Glenbrook to visit  the Aitkens Australia in the Round, which the Visitnsw.com Website describes as:…. a unique and exciting gallery, display and museum all in one with a spectacular painted panorama of famous Australian destinations. The harbour-dominated beauty of Australia's Emerald City, Sydney along with the rugged mystery of the Blue Mountains; the toughness and brilliant colours of Australia's outback; and the natural beauty of beaches scattered along endless stretches of coastline. Add the fertile riches of Australia's rural heartland and the character and excitement of Queensland's fabulous Gold Coast and you have a fascinating collage of life in modern Australia - all captured within the 213 square metres of wall space, along with hundreds of flora and fauna samples from all around Australia.”

We spent a few days in Sydney, rode the ferries to many places, walked over the Sydney Harbor Bridge, went to the beach at Manly for good body surfing, and got a great ride through much of Sydney harbor in a boat belonging to my wife's cousin.  The Campbell cousins were early (1797) merchant pioneers in Sydney and Canberra. We rented a car earlier than we expected, drove south along the coast to Bateman's Bay, then to Canberra for more cousins, and on to Cootamundra out in the rolling countryside.  After a week of pleasant temperatures,  it hit 106 F here today.   That's OK with us because it's 18 F and 15 inches of snow back in Massachusetts.   Unfortunately, there are power outages and bush fires in many places.   It may get hotter. Tonight, we're on a sheep station with 1800 sheep and 6 alpacas, along with the kangaroos in the distance. 

Along the way, we spotted lots of great old cars on the road, including a 1960s Ford Falcon ute, a small Ford Zephyr, a Citroen DS19, and at the Canberra War Memorial there was a very nice 1960s Jaguar Mk 2 sedan in the underground garage.  There seem to be many 1960s cars as daily drivers.

34625616_Unknown.JPG

IMG_6169.JPG

IMG_6136.JPG

IMG_6138.JPG

IMG_6168.JPG

The orange ute is a 1973-76 XB Falcon, surprisingly in close to original condition. Not many around now. Most now have been molested in some ways.  Often with mag/later fancy wheels and/or faux Fairmont/GT front sheetmetal – grille.  The doors are pillarless and also used on the 2 door hardtop coupe  At one time I had a 1975 XB station wagon (company car)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Falcon_(XB)

http://www.uniquecarsandparts.com.au/falcon_XB_technical_specifications

Enjoy Aussie & keep cool today in NSW (forecast is for mid 40's °C/~110°F much hotter than normal)

• 2 weeks later...

We've been touring around a great deal, but suffered from not having good wifi connections, only limited digital data on our phones. We spent a few days at the sheep station, drove to the top of Mt. Bethungra, about 1000 ft above the surrounding countryside, as some powerful summer storms blew toward us.  While lightning bolts set fires in some places, none were near us.  One day, we helped round up a few sheep that needed some medical attention.  As a city kid, I know nothing about sheep or farming, so all of this was interesting, especially watching a sheepdog work.  They also had about 6 alpacas to help guard the sheep.

We drove east from Cootamundra to Katoomba in the Blue Mountains, staying at a great, old hotel.  Katoomba is at about 3400 ft, and the big attraction there is looking out over the valleys to the surrounding mountains.  In the morning, we were surprised to find a fully restored 1947 Flxible Clipper bus in the hotel driveway.  It was being used to give some dignitaries a tour of the area.  The bus had been imported in 1947 and used as a prototype to build 100+ copies under licenses.  As we walked around the town, we discovered a restored 1965 Ford pickup.  Driving around the rim of the cliff for our scenic tour that day, I spotted a 1940-ish Triumph roadster parked in a neighborhood.  We've seen lots of 1960s and earlier cars being used as daily drivers. 

From Katoomba, we drove back out to the coast north of Sydney.  In Newcastle, we met up with a couple of Studebaker guys and their wives for dinner.  The photo attached shows me and Jane, Warren and Sue Thompson, and Rob and Angela Johnson - we're all Studebaker owners.  From there we drove a few hours a day up the coast, hitting beautiful remote beaches and finding comfortable resorts to stay in.  We dropped the rental car at the Gold Coast airport after 1500 miles.  Another of Jane's cousins picked us up and drove us to Toowoomba for a few days.  We plan on meeting up with a few AACA people here and nearby.

Mt Bethungra lightning sm.jpg

sheep at dusk-Bethungra sm .jpg

alpacas Bethungra sm.jpg

Flxible bus 1947-Katoomba NSW sm.jpg

Ford pickup 1965-Katoomba NSW sm.jpg

Triumph roadster 1940ish-Katoomba sm.jpg

Gary-JaneAsh_Rob-AngelaJohnson_Warren-SueThompson_Newcastle NSW sm.jpg

Edited by Gary_Ash (see edit history)

We have seen a number of Australian animals that we don't have in the U.S. in addition to the old cars.  While we certainly have "Deer Crossing" or "Moose Crossing" signs in New England, this was our first experience seeing signs for koalas, wombats, kangaroos, and wallabies crossing the road.  Of course, there were no actual animals on the road, so we went to the koala hospital to see one.  There were kangaroos in fields at dusk.  Today we saw hundreds of flying fox bats hanging from trees in a local park - they have wingspans of about 24-30 inches, much larger than the little brown bats we have at home.  At the tropical beach areas, we saw lots of "water dragon" lizards.

beach at Casaurina sm.jpg

kangaroos Canberra sm - Copy.jpg

koala sleeping-Port Macquarrie sm - Copy.jpg

Stanwell Park NSW sm - Copy.jpg

Are those merino sheep? If so, they have the finest wool on a sheep. Some of them are down to 12 microns fibre diameter, more usual is 18 micron. We compete with Oz for the finest. Wonderful natural fibre, very soft and a very good insulator.

Did you notice the toilet habits of the alpaca? They all do it in the same place in the paddock. It pongs of ammonia there, but the rest of the paddock is clean. The sheep just do it as they walk along, anywhere.

I'm lucky to be able to tell sheep from goats, but I was told that about half the sheep at this station were merino, the others crossbreeds of some type. We got to see the sheep shearing shed on one of the cousins other properties and the wool baler. We were told that it takes the wool from 40 sheep to make a bale.  The merino wool is worth more. 

We (fortunately) didn't check on the toilet habits of the alpacas.