Help Please! How to get title for '65 Chevy?

Guest Mammy

23 minutes ago, MCHinson said:

Each state has different statutes and different policies. As a retired Police Lieutenant, I will simply say that walking up to a human being and saying, I did something stupid, is there any way to fix this, usually works better than any other approach. If you have a bill of sale and you know the serial number of the vehicle, you can probably at least find out if it has been reported as stolen. You can probably also find out if there is a way to obtain a title through some of more unusual but legal ways to do so. Some states require you to post a bond to get a title. Some require an application to the courts. I have no idea what NJ law allows, but I know that the DMV personnel there are the best source of information about what will work in that jurisdiction.  

This is actually excellent advice. I was in a similar situation not long ago with a project car that I bought on a Bill of Sale. The car had been derelict since the '50's. It is pointless to recount the process I went through, because each state IS different. However, you might explore the following: The DMV's have agents who investigate chop shops, inspect vehicles with VIN issues, etc. The DMV is not going to give out their phone numbers, but it is possible to find out who the agent is in your area by talking with some of the smaller car dealers and body shops in your area. One of them will know how to contact him.  Find him. Be courteous and truthful, and as Matt said, ask him "is there any way to fix this?" It is tempting to try some "scheme." Please don't. There is a national system in place now ( I forget the acronym) whereby the various state DMV's are "tied together" much more than in even the recent past. This is why the "title service" businesses have mostly disappeared. You can easily put yourself in a situation where not having a title is the least of your worries. Good luck.

1 hour ago, jackofalltrades70 said:

Heads up.  If you go through Vermont, and then try to title in PA, they will check and see if that VIN has ever been registered in PA.  They will not issue another title.  

Matt

So, nobody from Vermont can move to Pennsylvania and bring their vehicles with them????

The very best advice that has been given in regard to this situation has been by Matt Hinson.  I cannot and will not feel sorry for anyone who will hand over money for a vehicle and not get a legal title or a legal bill of sale at the time they load the vehicle on a trailer or drive away in it.  I simply cannot understand a parent knowingly let their kid get involved in some sort of three-legged deal like this.  If the vehicle in question is stolen, this guy could be on a one way trip to the penitentiary by trying to get a fraudulent title and/or registration by the means that have been discussed here.  I have been playing with cars and motorcycles for 55 years now and I have hauled vehicles from VERMONT and as far as the Canadian border and I ALWAYS had a signed title or legal bill of sale whenever I crossed a state line.  It's just the easiest and right thing to do.  I was headed home from about 10 miles from the Canadian border in Minnesota with a rolling chassis for a 1916 Buick.  I was about 25 miles into Iowa when an Iowa Highway Patrolman pulled me over.  The remains of the car on the trailer looked like the Beverly Hillbillies truck.  The officer walked up to my truck and before he could even say anything I handed him my driver's license, my insurance information, and the bill of sale for the old Buick.  He laughed and told me that he had already checked me out from my trailer tag.  He said he just wanted to know what year the old Buick was.  If I had not had that bill of sale, I would not have been able to show proof of ownership and things could have gone bad right quick like.  I had two more state lines to cross.  I am not trying to be a smart ass here, but, what some of you guys are talking about doing on here is on the criminal side of the law.  All I will say is I hope that works out for ya.

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MCHinson said:

Each state has different statutes and different policies. As a retired Police Lieutenant, I will simply say that walking up to a human being and saying, I did something stupid, is there any way to fix this, usually works better than any other approach. If you have a bill of sale and you know the serial number of the vehicle, you can probably at least find out if it has been reported as stolen. You can probably also find out if there is a way to obtain a title through some of more unusual but legal ways to do so. Some states require you to post a bond to get a title. Some require an application to the courts. I have no idea what NJ law allows, but I know that the DMV personnel there are the best source of information about what will work in that jurisdiction.  

I don't understand how your advice could work here.

This transaction occurred one year ago.

The son does not have a title, the father does not believe the son ever received a bill of sale.

With those 2 strikes, I would not walk into any DMV, and expect to walk out with a title.

FYI, on a personal note Mr Hinson, if you truly believe that the DMV is the best source of information, I would ask you to review my 3 month case from Hell, with the NC DMV, as I had posted here, on AACA.

My '51 Chevy car was legal, my serial number was legal, my serial number tag was properly affixed and legal, yet the NC DMV continued to harass me with 3 home visits,  by the NC License and Theft Bureau Inspector, stating my serial number tag should have looked like a Chevy pick up serial number tag. They even threatened to revoke my title, which was already issued by the NC DMV.

It took folks from AACA, who sent pics of their 1951 Chevy  serial number tags to me ..... which I forwarded to Raleigh, NC.,  to get the harassment to cease.

So, in my case, the NC DMV was NOT the best source of information.

Edited by bobg1951chevy
rewrite (see edit history)

Bob,

As you learned, DMV will not always be your friend. You ran into a weird situation, but in the end, with the evidence of an error, you got DMV to correct their error. Your story actually sort of illustrates my point. You went through a lot of difficulties because NC DMV incorrectly thought you were trying to perpetrate a fraud. If they try to do anything dishonest in an attempt to get a title they will likely have as much or more trouble than you had.

In this case, a car that may or may not be stolen is trying to be registered. If someone attempts to register it by less than truthful means, and it turns out that the car has ever been reported as stolen, the person trying to register it will likely go to jail. A person who walks in with their information and truthfully says I bought this and the guy I bought it from won't deliver the title, will not go to jail even if the car has been stolen previously. It is the safest and cheapest way to deal with all of the possibilities in this particular case.

• Like 1

The best part about being honest is that you don't have to try to "remember the truth". Nothing raises suspicion more than a change in story. I spent almost 20 years working for the government and believe me - the truth is constant, a lie takes twists and turns.  

Write to Broadway Title  NLAIII@aol.com or call them at 800-464-3222.  If they are still in business, they may be able to help.  They are familiar with all states rules.  Alabama was/is not a Title state and you sell them the car on paper and they register it in Alabama ans send you the tag and registration to apply for a new title in your state.  It may help to talk to them.

3501 4 Ave, South  Birmingham AL 35222 was he last  address I have for them.

11 hours ago, CarlLaFong said:

So, nobody from Vermont can move to Pennsylvania and bring their vehicles with them????

John, the days where someone (maybe  not even a Vermont resident) could obtain Vermont tags and a registration card for an older vehicle and TURN THAT CARD INTO A TITLE from another state (or into even a Vermont title) are over.  I have attached a link to the applicable page from the NEW Vermont DMV web page. Vermont will now issue titles to vehicles older than 25 years old on request. In the case of the post mentioning PA, because of the new nationwide system I previously mentioned, PA ( and every other state for that matter) knows that a bonafide Vermont owner should have no problem producing a Vermont title to present to PA. If  you read the DMV page, it is obvious that there are a number of reasons why the OP will not be able to obtain a Vermont title. They include 1) Being a Vermont resident. 2) ON SITE ( I hear Vermont is cold this time of year)  VIN verification - meaning it will be run through the national system to see if it is stolen, has liens, or someone else is shown as the owner. Several other stipulations.

http://dmv.vermont.gov/tax-title/vehicle-title/exempt-title      I'm not sure why, but your Avatar never fails to crack me up. :D

I can tell you all that the Ohio DMV would NOT be the place to start. I have years of experience with this. 

For SURE, the best place to start is finding out if the car is stolen, OR, if their are any un-cancelled liens against it. Sometimes people sell cars that they still owe money on, or which they were supposed to surrender in a divorce case, or that they may have paid off a loan for, but never got the lien-cancellation recorded. 

If you use some of the back-alley methods to get a title for a car with no skeletons in its closet, all is well. And you won't go to jail even if the car is stolen, if you are the one who reported it and asked for it to be investigated. BUT, if you successfully obtain a "legal" title through one of those loopholes and then it later turns up to be stolen or encumbered by a loan and/or lien, you will be guilty of fraud...and probably interstate fraud. 

I would hesitate to obtain a title through the process of "selling" my car to an out-of-state buyer, who then sells it back to me with a legit title from his state IF I were absolutely certain that the car was legally and clearly owned by the seller, But only if I were ABSOLUTELY certain. 

Anything else is just a parts car, and even then I wouldn't buy it or possess it without a legitimate notarized bill of sale, signed by the person I gave payment to. 

On ‎1‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 4:46 PM, superior1980 said:

I am no expert on this subject, but I am currently dealing with my own title situation and can tell you what I've done.  In my case, I bought a car in November where the out of state owner mailed me the title and bill of sale.  What he didn't tell me was that the title was still in the name of the person that he had bought the car from, he signed the back as the new owner, but never put it through for transferring into his name.  The result was there was no place for me to sign the title and my state wouldn't recognize it.  An internet search brought this company to my attention http://www.titlerecovery.com/index.html .  I decided to give it a shot and just this morning in my email inbox, I received notice that my application was approved and my registration and license plates were on their way to me.  In my case, the company charged me $158 for their services, and my registration and plates are coming from Vermont.  I do not live in Vermont, but checking the Vermont DMV website, Vermont doesn't require you to be a resident or have a Vermont drivers license in order to register a car there.  They are also a no title state for cars over 15 years old; your registration is your proof of ownership.  Vermont did charge me $510 in sales tax, but of course that amount is based on either what you paid for the car, or what the current NADA value is, whichever is higher.  I figure I'll keep the car registered in Vermont until the registration gets close to expiring, then as the now-recognized owner of the car, transfer it into my home state.  I think what saved me was at least having a bill of sale, but even if you don't have that, you may want to at least contact them and see what they have to say.  For me, the process lasted about two months and took place entirely via online, the telephone, and the US mail.

You might want to see my previous post and link. A registration card and plates is a long ways from a title ( even a Vermont title) now. In your own words " .....be a resident or have a Vermont drivers license in order to REGISTER a car there." You can drive the car ( unless you drive it so much that the local cops question the out of state tags or you get stopped for something else and you have a local address. Most states give you 30 days to get their tags)  but will need a title to sell it and won't be able to get even a Vermont title, because when they run the VIN the owner before the guy you bought it from is going to come back as the owner. You are not the "now recognized owner" even in Vermont. ( see link for other requirements) He is "letting" you register/drive his car and you are out $668. Vermont collects revenue with this registration scheme, as does title recovery . Again, the problem is that the loophole has been closed for turning that Vermont registration card directly into a title.  Good luck though.

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

On ‎1‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 2:45 PM, Mammy said:

....this car has become a MAJOR headache.  I just want to be able to park MY car in MY garage.    

I am pretty sure I know how my father would have solved this:  He would have reached into that old chevy,  jammed it in N and then pushed it out the door.

the only thing as crazy as auto title laws from state to state , are the liquor laws. antoher thing to be careful of is gatting a title from rhode island. i took in a car from there as a trade in, tried to get a duplicate title for it, and was told cars from there with a value below a certain amount DID NOT HAVE TITLES! the title clerk would not speak to me for a month, but she somehow got one.

"States rights" allow each state to make their own rules.  No matter how stupid they are, it can offer major barriers for buying

a car in one state that has different rules for the one you hope to register it in,

Example:  I sold my 34 Ford Phaeton in Florida (A title state) to a Florida guy who moved to New Hampshire (A non-title state) where he registered the car.  Then he sold the car to a guy in Oklahoma (A title state) and moved to Michigan.  Unfortunately

the seller had lost the NH registration and without a title Oklahoma would not accept a bill of sale.  NH told the seller, they only provided duplicate registrations to NH residents and he no longer was one or entitled to get one.  *^#+@!  

I have no knowledge of bonded titles but many have gone that route with success. Since I live in Texas but just 30 miles from the Oklahoma border I have three options: The Texas assembled vehicle which is the cheapest and legal but title will show vehicle to be the current year, like 2017 for one now. Some butt  hole could make you put all the emissions and safety items on like air bags and ABS brakes. The second option is the Oklahoma Title 42 law (google it) which is bullet proof but has to go through an Oklahoma address. The third and the one I use is the sheriffs auction of impounded cars. A friend has an impound lot and the title you get by this method cancels EVERYTHING against a car. Bank liens, accident involvement, divorce squabble, etc and is so solid not even the FBI or IRS can challenge it. When that paper is in your hand it's YOURS and untouchable. You do have to actually let the vehicle be physically in the pound for 31 days.

24 minutes ago, bobg1951chevy said:

Can you spell F-E-L-O-N-Y  ?

calm down, this is not some TV drama fest, nobody will be arrested or charged. 

"65 chevy" needing lots of work.  Not a mint 65 chevy Corvette bought in a bad area, at night, for two grand cash

• Like 1

2 hours ago, F&J said:

calm down, this is not some TV drama fest, nobody will be arrested or charged. 

"65 chevy" needing lots of work.  Not a mint 65 chevy Corvette bought in a bad area, at night, for two grand cash

A mint '65 Corvette = Felony, but a '65 Chevy Impala = misdemeanor.

OK, now I understand the law better.

Edited by bobg1951chevy
spelling (see edit history)

4 hours ago, mcdarrunt said:

The third and the one I use is the sheriffs auction of impounded cars. A friend has an impound lot and the title you get by this method cancels EVERYTHING against a car. Bank liens, accident involvement, divorce squabble, etc and is so solid not even the FBI or IRS can challenge it. When that paper is in your hand it's YOURS and untouchable. You do have to actually let the vehicle be physically in the pound for 31 days.

That is what I said earlier.

7 hours ago, Paul Dobbin said:

"States rights" allow each state to make their own rules.  No matter how stupid they are, it can offer major barriers for buying

a car in one state that has different rules for the one you hope to register it in,

Example:  I sold my 34 Ford Phaeton in Florida (A title state) to a Florida guy who moved to New Hampshire (A non-title state) where he registered the car.  Then he sold the car to a guy in Oklahoma (A title state) and moved to Michigan.  Unfortunately

the seller had lost the NH registration and without a title Oklahoma would not accept a bill of sale.  NH told the seller, they only provided duplicate registrations to NH residents and he no longer was one or entitled to get one.  *^#+@!  

This is interesting because my father raised me in New Hampshire. I have a '63 Corvair and no title, just a registration from NH. He moved to Texas in the 80's and never registered it. How do I get a title for it?

10 hours ago, victorialynn2 said:

This is interesting because my father raised me in New Hampshire. I have a '63 Corvair and no title, just a registration from NH. He moved to Texas in the 80's and never registered it. How do I get a title for it?

You need more info.  

Your Corvair is not a super incredibly popular collector car, so without a title, it will be a much more difficult sale.  People always seem to be looking for any excuse NOT to buy a car they see on Ebay. C/L or wherever. 

There are many remarks on the net about Texas being a tougher State for papers, so ....

If the Corvair was registered in NH in your Fathers name, that is a huge plus for SOME States.  If that is so, then check with Texas DMV to see if your Father can get it registered in Texas to get the papers "current" and "transferrable" to all 50 States.   If Texas refuses to accept an expired NH registration in your Fathers name, you will need some much better advice that I have.

I live in CT, but the other 49 States have different Statutes.  I know I could buy that car and get it registered in my name.  A person bringing it back to NH would likely not be worried either.  That's not good enough to say you can find a buyer at your price, as most States will have too many roadblocks.  If it was a 57 Corvette, people tend to be more willing to jump through hoops to get their dream car.

A very savvy business guy here local, tells me that there is a big difference between a problem, and an inconvenience,:   He says you don't really have a "problem", unless it is something that money won't fix. 

Not to ramble, but let's say I buy a non-titled, not registered, cheap project car here in CT for resale.  Say I bought it for $1000 hoping to make $200 on a quick resale on C/L.   Selling to a CT buyer will be fine, but neighboring Mass buyer will need a current registration in MY name to make it legal for Mass DMV.  So, I'd need to buy insurance, then pay all the DMV fees and cost of registration plates $$$ as well as pay sales tax on the car.  All that will be hundreds of dollars, not counting time.  A Mass buyer might think I should do all this, but on a $1200 sale?..no way!  If I was lucky to find a 57 Corvette without current reg, it would be worth the costs and time, as it would be very valuable.

• Like 1

Victorialynn2,

If you have the Registration from NH, you should have no problem in other states. Let us know if you have problems getting a duplicate while a resident of Texas.  (That was the problem for my old car seller)

Some non-title states use the registrations as titles for vehicles over a certain age, and use titles on newer cars.  There is where the problems begin when the tag office looks on their computer as see's that state as a title state without seeing the exception for old cars.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, bobg1951chevy said:

I have to chuckle, thinking the O.P. came here with this crazy scenario, then disappeared to do a questionable deed, after reading some earlier posts that encouraged underhanded approaches.

Can you spell F-E-L-O-N-Y  ?

For anyone to be convicted of some kind of felony would require the state to prove intent to defraud, I think. IF it is the case that a person legitimately buys a vehicle from a legitimate owner with a notarized bill of sale but does not have a title, and then sells that car to someone else out of state where titles are not required, and then buys it back...this time with a title, no laws have been broken, as I understand it. However, if the car proves to be stolen, or that the seller has no right to sell it, then indeed you have a problem. 

• Like 1

Thank you, everyone for you thoughtful replies.   I never expected such a response!  

Just to clarify:

1.)  Highly unlikely the car was stolen or has a lien.   I would lay a month's wages on that.

2.)  My son is "old enough to know better, yet young enough to learn."  (Aren't we all?)

3.) The title of the vehicle  is most likely gone with the seller's grandpa's papers.

4.) We are not inclined to engage in illegal activities; neither do we seek to cheat Uncle Sam.

5.) It is not a vehicle anyone but a young (and relatively poor) eccentric motor head/classic car enthusiast would bother with.  

Again, thank you, everyone, for your thoughtful replies.   I will be turning off the notification for replies as my email inbox has become inundated.   Carry on if you wish.  God Bless you and yours.

Regards,

M.A.M.

2 hours ago, Paul Dobbin said:

Victorialynn2,

If you have the Registration from NH, you should have no problem in other states. Let us know if you have problems getting a duplicate while a resident of Texas.  (That was the problem for my old car seller)

Some non-title states use the registrations as titles for vehicles over a certain age, and use titles on newer cars.  There is where the problems begin when the tag office looks on their computer as see's that state as a title state without seeing the exception for old cars.

I technically live in Oregon, although my father has a house in Texas. The weird thing is I have a NH title for a '64 Corvair he also owned. I plan on calling NH to see if they have records of the '63 registration and see what they say. It explains why he'd have a registration and not a title for the '63 though. Thanks.

Edited by victorialynn2 (see edit history)

39 minutes ago, mercer09 said:

A NH registration is a title- so why would you go and get anything? Give the NH registration to the next buyer.

end of story.

NH is a non title state.

I see you are right. https://www.nh.gov/safety/divisions/dmv/title/apply/exempt.htm

I will check with Texas and Oregon. Worse case, I still have family in NH. 

It's a '63 Monza Spyder Turbo Convertible. Sure, not super popular, but nice and it's worth more to me than the book value. I'd love to drive around in a little red Turbo Convertible, and wouldn't have to worry about damaging it like the '57. Plus, it's much smaller. LOL

2 hours ago, lump said:

For anyone to be convicted of some kind of felony would require the state to prove intent to defraud, I think. IF it is the case that a person legitimately buys a vehicle from a legitimate owner with a notarized bill of sale but does not have a title, and then sells that car to someone else out of state where titles are not required, and then buys it back...this time with a title, no laws have been broken, as I understand it. However, if the car proves to be stolen, or that the seller has no right to sell it, then indeed you have a problem. 

No notarized bill of sale in this "thread"  transaction.

Father stated he believed there was no bill of sale, at all.

No bill of sale and no title ..... how does the buyer prove he is the legitimate buyer of the car ?

10 minutes ago, bobg1951chevy said:

No bill of sale and no title ..... how does the buyer prove he is the legitimate buyer of the car ?

That cuts to the chase exactly!  Without either of these two documents, the so-called buyer could be charged with "Grand Theft Auto".

Cheers,

Grog

• Like 1

7 hours ago, mercer09 said:

A NH registration is a title- so why would you go and get anything? Give the NH registration to the next buyer.

end of story.

Georgia did not offer titles for my "old cars", just registration paper.

Are you saying N.H. does not issue a title,  as in TODAY, for a 1963 Corvair ?

14 minutes ago, capngrog said:

That cuts to the chase exactly!  Without either of these two documents, the so-called buyer could be charged with "Grand Theft Auto".

Cheers,

Grog

"3.) The title of the vehicle  is most likely gone with the seller's grandpa's papers."

A very convoluted deal.

In addition, it appears the car sold to MAMMY's son belonged to the sellers grandfather.

Edited by bobg1951chevy (see edit history)

25 minutes ago, bobg1951chevy said:

I was able to do a bonded title in Texas in a case like this. The car had been in my father's possession for years and it hadn't been registered since Maryland in the 70's or so. It depends on what other supporting info you have and is case by case. 

21 minutes ago, capngrog said:

Cheers,

Grog

There is an inspection process in Texas by a deputy. I had a 55 Chevy checked. They make sure the vin isn't listed as stolen and there are no outstanding liens, etc. In the case of the 55, my father owned it for years, bought it from someone in Michigan, but the last time it was registered was in the 70's in a non-title state. It had just never been titled in a title state. They are not going to charge you with anything unless they can prove it's stolen and you stole it. For example, my father now has Alzheimer's and I took over his estate. If it had been stolen, it would have been years ago and at least 1 buyer ago. My father or I couldn't be proven to have stolen it, not to mention we obviously didn't.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, lump said:

Common sense posted above ^.

Two people have it in their heads that the swat team is planning a visit right this moment, without even a hint of theft.  (they'd better not remove that warning tag on their mattress or pillow, or they will go to jail) :) 

Too much drama, and zero facts.

To have a suspect car impounded, the complainant must provide a legal court copy of the ORIGINAL theft report.   That copy must be provided to the Officer in charge of the complaint's case.  If the complainant cannot get the document from decades ago, from the court system where the theft was reported, the Officer will not/cannot confiscate, nor charge anybody with anything.  That is fact here in my State, and I'd be surprised if other States are different.

We all know that old registrations or titles are sold as "historical documents, suitable for framing" on ebay and wherever.  You cannot buy an old document and then somehow find out that the car still exists, then try to claim it with your old document.   You must prove you owned it.  You must also prove that you reported it stolen... with proper court documentation. 

People register totally-reproduction 1932 Ford street rods ("sometimes") with bogus papers.  They are assuming the "paper" they bought, has a VIN that IS NOT currently in use by someone, and more importantly, that that VIN was never reported as stolen.  Most of these people just go with the thought that the odds are slim.  I refuse to ever take that chance, as many others do.  It is illegal, too, as you are restamping a VIN onto a vehicle which is "VIN tampering".

This tread went off on many directions..  Back to the Corvair last registered in NH, but is NOT currently registered.  If she sells the car to someone else, (rather than keeping it herself), "some" untitled-or-titled States will not accept an expired old registration.  These States require a current registration in the sellers name.    However, some States will accept that expired registration.  If she hopes to get market value, which means she is able to satisfy potential buyers from "all" 50 States, she really needs to fix the papers.  Without paper to work with all 50 States, and perhaps overseas buyers, she is limiting the list of buyers significantly.

• Like 1

I personally have had about all of this thread that I want to even think about reading.  There are some on here who have advised resorting to illegal means to get a title for a vehicle which in fact is a felony in all 50 states.  We do not know who the person is by name who started this cock-eyed discussion to start with and never will.  Matt Hinson gave excellent advise from a law enforcement officer's view and some of you on here act like you do not think he knows what he is talking about.  In my humble opinion, if any person is going to get into the business of playing with old vehicles of any kind, they had better be paying attention to the critical details or they just might possibly find themselves behind iron bars and stone walls.  I do not feel the slightest bit sorry for the kid who gave good money for a vehicle and then did not get a signed clear title or a notarized bill of sale and then comes on this forum and starts crying about his situation.  I am going to ask Matt Hinson as a moderator to shut this thread down and delete it completely on the grounds of some people on here advocating engaging in criminal activity.  This gives ALL of us on here a bad name and I am not ready to see good folks branded with that kind of label.  And while I am on here and at it, I want to bring something else up that really chaps my backside - and that is you people who hide behind a moniker and will not sign your name to your postings so everyone will know who you are.  F & J is the best example of this.  Tell us all who you are or are you hiding something from everyone.  I have ALWAYS signed my name and state where we live on EVERY posting that I have ever made on these forums.  Common courtesy should tell everyone that this is the right thing to do.

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, F&J said:

This tread went off on many directions..  Back to the Corvair last registered in NH, but is NOT currently registered.  If she sells the car to someone else, (rather than keeping it herself), "some" untitled-or-titled States will not accept an expired old registration.  These States require a current registration in the sellers name.    However, some States will accept that expired registration.  If she hopes to get market value, which means she is able to satisfy potential buyers from "all" 50 States, she really needs to fix the papers.  Without paper to work with all 50 States, and perhaps overseas buyers, she is limiting the list of buyers significantly.

Exactly. I will see what Texas or Oregon will do. I'm sure I could get a bonded title in Texas, but will check if I can avoid that.  can also give/sell it to my sister in NH, who actually may eventually wind up with it anyway, especially if I can't register and use it in Oregon. It's not worth enough to haul to NH then back to Oregon. It's also not worth enough to sell. It has more sentimental value, so very likely I or my sister will wind up with it. 

Very interesting information in this thread though.