Help Please! How to get title for '65 Chevy?

Guest Mammy

38 minutes ago, Terry Wiegand said:

I want to bring something else up that really chaps my backside - and that is you people who hide behind a moniker and will not sign your name to your postings so everyone will know who you are.  F & J is the best example of this.  Tell us all who you are or are you hiding something from everyone.  I have ALWAYS signed my name and state where we live on EVERY posting that I have ever made on these forums.  Common courtesy should tell everyone that this is the right thing to do.

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas

How very noble of you.

Consider this. What if I or some unscrupulous character decided that we needed your stuff much worse than you did and made a trip to 210 Ave. F and confronted you with major weaponry. All of the sudden, your transparency would seem foolhardy as you place yourself and your loved ones in jeopardy.

BTW, I sign my real name on every post

Guest SaddleRider
55 minutes ago, Terry Wiegand said:

In my humble opinion, if any person is going to get into the business of playing with old vehicles of any kind, they had better be paying attention to the critical details or they just might possibly find themselves behind iron bars and

I agree completely with that portion of "W"'s post.   But I disagree that this "thread" should be silenced / censored.    The big advantage of forum sites like this is EDUCATION.  Clearly, this "thread" can serve as a useful educational tool to prevent economic hardship.

Hopefully, the more we educate the more people, the better chance that more will "get the word" that you just  DO NOT go out buying motor vehicles in a irresponsible manner.  We are a country and a people of LAWS !  For a reason. 

Edited by SaddleRider (see edit history)

It is to laugh. My username has always been "Padgett" since before the Internet was the Internet (except when I have had to add numbers) and it is amazing what is public record in Florida if you know where to look.

Somewhere West of Universal.

I will address this to F & J.

I'm a guy who has spoken of a FELONY "in the making".

The SELLER of the '65 Chevy sold a car, apparently titled in the name of his GRANDFATHER.

The SELLER took the CASH from the buyer.

The SELLER did not give the buyer a bill of sale.

The SELLER did not give the buyer a title of any sort.

The SELLER has not provided the buyer with a title, after one year.

The SELLER has now disappeared.

Thus far, the BUYER has NO PROOF OF OWNERSHIP.

The MOTHER of the BUYER began a thread here, wanting to know "HOW TO GET A TITLE".

Several replies to the MOTHER indicated the buyer could get a title ....... but it would involve CASH.

That indicates "possible" criminal activity.

Now, Mr F & J, if those leads are followed through, by the BUYER or the MOTHER of the BUYER, those falsifications of the needed title work will be considered a FELONY.

A bit more of a "sh*t storm"  than taking the tags off of a  mattress.

Edited by bobg1951chevy
spelling correction (see edit history)

7 minutes ago, Terry Wiegand said:

I feel that this thread should be shut down and completely deleted because it is NOT EDUCATIONAL - it is condoning criminal and/or illegal activity by the tone and wording of a few of the posters on here.  End of discussion.

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas

On the contrary, I have been stuck dealing with my father's collection of cars. He has Alzheimer's. I have received legitimate, legal advice on this thread and similar ones on this site. There are legitimate reason's people need information such as the fact that some states don't do titles, some states bond titles, etc. This information is necessary and helpful. The original poster was asking for help like I have in the past. He's not interested in illegal activity. Just because a few people hint about that doesn't mean some of us don't need the actual legal, helpful info!

• Like 1

On 1/22/2017 at 0:48 PM, Mammy said:

Thank you, everyone for you thoughtful replies.   I never expected such a response!  

Just to clarify:

1.)  Highly unlikely the car was stolen or has a lien.   I would lay a month's wages on that.

2.)  My son is "old enough to know better, yet young enough to learn."  (Aren't we all?)

3.) The title of the vehicle  is most likely gone with the seller's grandpa's papers.

4.) We are not inclined to engage in illegal activities; neither do we seek to cheat Uncle Sam.

5.) It is not a vehicle anyone but a young (and relatively poor) eccentric motor head/classic car enthusiast would bother with.  

Again, thank you, everyone, for your thoughtful replies.   I will be turning off the notification for replies as my email inbox has become inundated.   Carry on if you wish.  God Bless you and yours.

Regards,

M.A.M.

Folks,

The lady that started this discussion no longer wishes to take part in the discussion. Attempts to reply to the original poster are obviously wasted effort at this point. Hopefully her son can find a way to deal with the problem and get the car out of his mother's parking space.

Hopefully we can stop arguing about this topic soon. Thanks. 

There are many vehicles left behind on properties that go through probate. You have to buy them without a title unless you want to leave them go to the crusher. It's nothing to be ashamed about.

The legitimate heirs can sell off vehicles left on a property, providing a bill of sale only if they have access to nothing more. Where's the pink slip? Who knows. Can't ask the decedent.

One of my neighbors is a licensed tow truck operator, a one-man operation. He will tow a vehicle that appears to be abandoned IF the property owner directs him to. He can notice whoever may be the registered owner and if they don't claim it get a new title. He in fact does tow abandoned cars, trailers, tractors, boats often. Sometimes it is the vehicle owner requesting it be towed, and sometimes the owner of a rental property. Some landlords have tenants that get hauled off to jail

One of my neighbors had to go off his property to be cared for due to heart failure, and had over a dozen vehicles parked out back. Local government wanted his place cleaned up anyway. I would have bought at least one off him, but he wanted too much and it had some rust. So he departed with all them left there. So one of his relatives, helping to care for him and the home he vacated, let the city call in a tow operator of a wrecking yard to haul them off.

I bought my Alfa Romeo from a classified newspaper ad. It had no title. The guy who had it and his friend had apparently towed it from somewhere. The registration tag on the license plate was 12 years old, it had been parked in a field. In California if a car has gone unregistered more than 10 years it drops out of the DMV computer system. I was to take the bill of sale to the dmv, request paperwork to replace a lost title (pink slip in CA) and the seller could help me by signing off that he had lost the title.

I went to the DMV and it was not out of the computer, because instead of just letting the registration expire the prior owner had paid to put it on nonoperational status. It was in the name of someone other that the relatively young guy who sold it to me. I had withheld some payment telling him I'd pay the balance when the pink came. He ended up paying some outfit to get a lien sale title for it.

15 hours ago, MCHinson said:

Folks,

The lady that started this discussion no longer wishes to take part in the discussion. Attempts to reply to the original poster are obviously wasted effort at this point. Hopefully her son can find a way to deal with the problem and get the car out of his mother's parking space.

Hopefully we can stop arguing about this topic soon. Thanks. 

Matt, the thread is not really a waste of time, if I can elaborate:

Often when we have a mechanical problem, and ask for advice on the "technical" thread, helpful people give ideas on a "similar" problem and tell what was wrong with their car, but the problem was not always exact.   We all read those different replies, and someday we may get a car that has a problem and we remember that "one post" in that thread that will help us fix ours.

The son made a mistake in trusting a seller who promised a title.  We all make mistakes.

This thread has had many replies from many different States, making people fully aware that there are major differences in what is acceptable for papers in different States. (including one poster naming some certain States that no longer accept title service companies) That one post alone, is very good to know for the vintage hobby.  We need to be kept aware of changes like that;  meaning, what used to work in the past, does now not work.

This is good info in case you ever find your dream car that sat in a farmers shed for 50+ years, and the farmer said it was there when he bought the place 45 years ago.  There are no papers.  That is no reason to definitely pass on the car.  Like was mentioned, read your State Statutes and find the proper way to deal with that situation. State Statutes are online, as well as your local Library, and at your Town Hall.  Your Town Clerk/Librarian will help you find the correct Volume and DMV Section, to look up whatever you need to know.  (If it's not in your own State's Statutes, then it's not a Law). 

• Like 1

I'm amused by a couple of folks who bemoan the very existence of this thread, yet take the time to make multiple posts to the thread.   Personally, I've found this thread to be both entertaining and informative.   Rather than being argumentative, I've found discussions on this thread to be both spirited and, in most cases, well-intentioned.  Please don't close the thread.

Just my opinion,

Grog

• Like 5

5 hours ago, mercer09 said:

nice job everyone!

great to see the drama queens out in full force................ :)

a newbie comes by with interest in the hobby, and gets chased off

no wonder the hobby is dying!

This brings up a very good point.  Like all open forums on the net, you will have self proclaimed intellectuals bashing others with sometimes hate filled, derogatory remarks aimed directly at a person.  They are nothing more than "legends in their own minds".

Other visitors read this dog poo and never reply to any post, even though the may have helpful info for future threads.  The forum loses out on good members that way.

It sickened me to see "old @moonbeam" ridicule a new member who apparent did not have his spelling or sentence structure good enough, and this pathetic low-ego clown said something to him to make him feel like drunken uneducated trash that lost their cardboard box home.  I called him out, and quoted his sick reply so he could not edit it, and told him my reason for quoting it.  He constantly added in every post of his lofty double masters degree in some whack profession, but admitted once, he has a menial job. 

And.., someone on this thread tried to demean me and called me out by name for the stupid-idiotic reason that I use my screen name that I use on ALL other websites!.  Maybe had a bad day or forgot to have mommy make him cookies and warm milk.

Like I said, it's not just AACA, it's everywhere, and it shows a defect in our modern society.

I suppose my post will be deleted, but needed to get this off my chest.

• Like 1

I'd like to add to my above post, on the fact that there are still MANY helpful people on car forums, despite the "modern times of the ME attitude"

One member who recently posted on this thread deserves a huge Attaboy, but I won't name him.  About 5 years? ago on HAMB, a newbie wanted help to remove a stuck brake drum on a tapered rear axle on a 50s Mopar.  Many members gave every old trick known, if a proper 5 jaw hammer puller was not affordable.  The guy tried them all, but failed.

The member mentioned, who by the way, used a different AACA screen name back then, than he did on HAMB, stepped up BIGTIME.  He said "Send me your mail address and I will donate AND ship a heavy duty puller that I will never have a use for"...and, "all I ask is that you send it to a future member who also got in a jamb"

Goodness is still around if you pay attention to the good.  I doubt I'll forget that generous offer in my lifetime.

• Like 3

The point I see is this situation or a similar one is not that uncommon, so my question is can a process be established to make a legal, easy to follow process to create a vintage vehicle title?

As time passes there are numerous vehicles of which the trail is cold for many reasons and the vehicle is simply abandoned.  We are not talking about current vehicles.  Just like the various forms of historic or antique plates, there should be a process to apply for a recreated title.  Of course the status needs to be searched to verify whether that the vehicle is not stolen.  Then the vehicle or bits of a vehicle need to be inspected to be legit.  The advantage of a recreated title is it would clearly identify to a future buyer of what the vehicle is or isn't and everything is documented.  It would take away any motivation to do something shady.  It should also be applicable for the assembly of parts into something similar to an original vehicle.  Tell the story and have someone witness or verify it.

We can either continue to discuss this matter in numerous chains on numerous forums, or get something established

• Like 1

I have an answer, but I don't think that you are not going to like it.

It is really simple in my state. You either have a valid title or you don't buy the vehicle. The vehicle had a valid title when new. Each time the vehicle is sold, it is incumbent on the seller and buyer to transfer the title legally with DMV. Whenever someone fails to do that, it creates a problem for anybody else who wants to do anything with the vehicle except use it as a parts source for another vehicle for which they have a valid legal title. 

If you want to assemble a car from parts, in my state, you can go to DMV and have them give the car a state assigned ID number. That makes it legal to operate on the roadways but most potential future buyers will view the car as being less valuable than an original car.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, emjay said:

The point I see is this situation or a similar one is not that uncommon, so my question is can a process be established to make a legal, easy to follow process to create a vintage vehicle title?

As time passes there are numerous vehicles of which the trail is cold for many reasons and the vehicle is simply abandoned.  We are not talking about current vehicles.  Just like the various forms of historic or antique plates, there should be a process to apply for a recreated title.  Of course the status needs to be searched to verify whether that the vehicle is not stolen.  Then the vehicle or bits of a vehicle need to be inspected to be legit.  The advantage of a recreated title is it would clearly identify to a future buyer of what the vehicle is or isn't and everything is documented.  It would take away any motivation to do something shady.  It should also be applicable for the assembly of parts into something similar to an original vehicle.  Tell the story and have someone witness or verify it.

We can either continue to discuss this matter in numerous chains on numerous forums, or get something established

Many states have a "bonded" title process that accomplishes this. Just not all.

Not having any experience with a "bonded title process" or a "state issued serial number" .......  does either of these processes have ANY negative affect to the NEXT BUYER, meaning the buyer After  the above processes have been accomplished.

Example ..... I BUY a car from a SELLER.

The SELLER had to obtain a "state issued serial number" .... and, as the BUYER, I was OK buying a car with a "state issued serial number".

But now, when I go to sell this car, will my proceeds be less, because of the "stigma" of a "state issued serial number" ?

22 hours ago, bobg1951chevy said:

Not having any experience with a "bonded title process" or a "state issued serial number" .......  does either of these processes have ANY negative affect to the NEXT BUYER, meaning the buyer After  the above processes have been accomplished.

Example ..... I BUY a car from a SELLER.

The SELLER had to obtain a "state issued serial number" .... and, as the BUYER, I was OK buying a car with a "state issued serial number".

But now, when I go to sell this car, will my proceeds be less, because of the "stigma" of a "state issued serial number" ?

What I'm told is the bond is for a person who maybe turns up later to prove they own the car. That person doesn't get the car back, they get the bond. It's like buying a home. If there is a problem discovered down the road with the chain of title, the previous person with a claim doesn't get the house back, they get the title insurance (like the bond). So no, the person who buys the car doesn't get affected at all.

Edited by victorialynn2 (see edit history)

1 hour ago, victorialynn2 said:

What I'm told is the bond is for a person who maybe turns up later to prove they own the car. That person doesn't get the car back, they get the bond. It's like buying a home. If there is a problem discovered down the road with the chain of title, the previous person with a claim doesn't get the house back, they get the title insurance (like the bond). So no, the person who buys the car doesn't get affected at all.

Thanks, that answers one of the concerns, the other concern is a state issued serial number ...... and how that state issued serial number affects the value of future sale.

It seems both scenarios would cast a shadow on the value of the involved vehicle.

Edited by bobg1951chevy (see edit history)

8 hours ago, bobg1951chevy said:

Thanks, that answers one of the concerns, the other concern is a state issued serial number ...... and how that state issued serial number affects the value of future sale.

It seems both scenarios would cast a shadow on the value of the involved vehicle.

If you bond a title, after 3 years it becomes a regular title. People I've spoke with don't seem to worry about them. It is actually good for the buyer. 

The serial number issue in Texas would apply for my '48 Willys. They use the new engine number when replaced and not the VIN. This is because they used the engine number when it was new. It would also be a bonded title. As long as the engine number matches the car and paperwork, I don't see an issue.

I've heard sometimes they pick random (seemingly) serial numbers when numbers don't match but know know under what circumstances or what the buyer perception would be. 

5 hours ago, victorialynn2 said:

If you bond a title, after 3 years it becomes a regular title. People I've spoke with don't seem to worry about them. It is actually good for the buyer. 

The serial number issue in Texas would apply for my '48 Willys. They use the new engine number when replaced and not the VIN. This is because they used the engine number when it was new. It would also be a bonded title. As long as the engine number matches the car and paperwork, I don't see an issue.

I've heard sometimes they pick random (seemingly) serial numbers when numbers don't match but know know under what circumstances or what the buyer perception would be. 

Thanks for the "bond" info, all new to me.

The serial number issue I'm speaking of is when the state assigns THEIR OWN  SERIAL NUMBER  with THEIR OWN SERIAL NUMBER TAG.

I'm familiar with the practice of SOME states chosing to  utilize the engine serial number on the title .... a popular practice in the '50's.

That practice never made sense to me, still makes no sense, since the engine and serial number can be changed in one day, leaving the owner and his title in a mess.

Suspect someone older than I will know but suspect back in the day when everyone and their uncle was making custom bodies that covered the chassis, the engine was the only reliable/visible place to put a number.