American Underslung?

keiser31

I would say not an Underslung, for several reasons.  The pic was probably shot in England so unlikely there would be an Underslung there. The pic has been retouched so little detail is visible but I can see what looks to be the end of a conventional 3/4(?) elliptic rear spring.  The wheels don't look to be the very big diameter size used by the Underslung - and very few other cars.

Hi Keiser 31.  Not sure where you got your copy of the photo but there is an identical one on the internet with details showing that the tank (possibly an English Mark iv or 5) was taken in Toronto on Armistice Day 1918 and believe it or not it was actually videoed.  I have watched the video and the vehicle is a large tourer but the image is very dark.  I can't seem to get back to the video but perhaps you can.

Edited by Stude17
Insert link to video (see edit history)

Hi Keiser 31.  Not sure where you got your copy of the photo but there is an identical one on the internet with details showing that the tank (possibly an English Mark iv or 5) was taken in Toronto on Armistice Day 1918 and believe it or not it was actually videoed.  I have watched the video and the vehicle is a large tourer but the image is very dark. 

Here is the link to the video http://www.popularmechanics.com/military/a15939/1918-wwi-tank-flattening-a-car/

I don't think the squashed car in the first picture is the same as the one in the film as there's no roof. I also don't think it's an American Underslung, at least not the same as the red one. The front fender looks generally the same but the back fender on the red car goes suddenly horizontal as it goes behind the wheel. Also the running board on the flattened car has a side extending down from the tread.

On 12/31/2016 at 5:22 AM, Curti said:

The spokes on the rear appear to be metal (bent) and a very strange (to me) rear deck.

To me, the spokes look broken, not bent. I was identifying mostly on the hubs, horn, front fenders. I realize there are a few differences otherwise. I cannot really tell if those are rear frame horns or just other bent pieces of metal.

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

5 minutes ago, Spinneyhill said:

It is clearly two cars and two locations. One facing to the right and one facing to the left. The tank is still coming towards the photographer.

I wonder if there might be a report in the local newspaper archives on the event. I am sure it would have been newsworthy.  Might be worth a look to see if the Toronto papers from 1918 are on digital file somewhere.

17 hours ago, Stude17 said:

Hi Keiser 31.  Not sure where you got your copy of the photo but there is an identical one on the internet with details showing that the tank (possibly an English Mark iv or 5) was taken in Toronto on Armistice Day 1918 and believe it or not it was actually videoed.  I have watched the video and the vehicle is a large tourer but the image is very dark. 

Here is the link to the video http://www.popularmechanics.com/military/a15939/1918-wwi-tank-flattening-a-car/

Being pedantic, I guess that in 1918 it was probably filmed, rather than videoed, and digitalised more recently.

Just had a look in the Toronto Star archives   -   http://pqasb.pqarchiver.com/thestar/results.html?st=advanced&QryTxt=tank&publications=ALL&type=current&datetype=6&frommonth=11&fromday=10&fromyear=1918&tomonth=11&today=12&toyear=1918&sortby=RELEVANCE   - (I searched 'tank' from the Nov 10 to Nov 12 1918) and came up with two references. Even though they are listed as 'free' to look at the basic pdf, it seems you have to be registered to access the file.  Maybe someone else on aaca is already and can search the answer.

Edited by nzcarnerd (see edit history)

3 hours ago, keiser31 said:

Yes....it's very obvious that there were two different cars and directions here.

Totally disagree.  It is the same vehicle photographed from different sides.  The video shows the tank hitting the vehicle at speed ripping off the roof and throwing it in the direction of the officer standing in  front and almost  hitting him.  I would suggest that the tank has then simply turned around and run over the same vehicle  from the opposite direction.   No WH&S in those days.

1 hour ago, Stude17 said:

Totally disagree.  It is the same vehicle photographed from different sides.  The video shows the tank hitting the vehicle at speed ripping off the roof and throwing it in the direction of the officer standing in  front and almost  hitting him.  I would suggest that the tank has then simply turned around and run over the same vehicle  from the opposite direction.   No WH&S in those days.

Yep....you're right. It is the same car. NOT an Underslung.

1 hour ago, Dave Mellor NJ said:

The still picture of the sedan shows the same side panel below the running board as the flattened picture.

Looks as if the tank may have run over the car from two directions. In the original picture the car looks to have damage on  the side nearest to us which would have to have been done earlier. That looks like the rear seat upholstery hanging over the back.

Couple of things that caught my attention:

- In the first photo in the first post is a brass horn on the right side where the cowl would have been. In the photo in the same post is a similar horn mounted to the cowl on the red car. I presume there were a "common" horn on high end cars of that era. What I'm surprised about is that the horn in the first photo appears to be relatively intact.

- In the videos the 'Tank Commander' is certainly taking things easy, so much so, he has his dog in his arms through the whole event!