Stearns Knight

alsancle

That would certainly be a huge improvement but I'd still be badly put off by the chrome yellow. Outside Hollywood (never known for good taste), I find it hard to believe any of the great Classics (i.e., with a capital C) were painted outrageous colors... at least not very often. I do know of a couple, invariably the property of narcissists with lots of money desperate to be noticed.

On 11/8/2017 at 9:34 PM, JV Puleo said:

That would certainly be a huge improvement but I'd still be badly put off by the chrome yellow. Outside Hollywood (never known for good taste), I find it hard to believe any of the great Classics (i.e., with a capital C) were painted outrageous colors... at least not very often. I do know of a couple, invariably the property of narcissists with lots of money desperate to be noticed.

I've heard stories from old timers who said that some of the show cars were indeed painted quite wildly in order to capture attention. However, many of them had to be painted "normal" before anyone would buy them.

• 2 weeks later...

When restoring 1930 Franklin Dietrich Speedster Convertible Sedan (an auto show car) the car was originally lemon yellow - frame, body, all what would traditionally be black on engine, and ... - do not know color of wheels (they had been sandblasted at some point) and every single nut, bolt, washer, lockwasher was chrome plated (and as a result we had to break nearly every one of them when restoring car).  On top of the yellow paint was a host of other colors (apparently they repainted car between auto shows and then reported it as having been sold at each).  We chose I believe its third set of colors - mulberry maroon and satan red.

One of our 1931 Cadillacs was originally dark blue with a bright orange undercarriage and black wire wheel - pinstripe was ivory.

I

• 2 weeks later...
15 hours ago, alsancle said:

An 8-90 Cabriolet?  I thought there was only one.  From the waynesboro-stauntonregion aaca website.  Displayed at the Augusta County fair.

IMG_2163-640x385.jpg

Nope. It's an M6-80. Possibly owned by the same person restoring the 5-passenger coupe above, since they're both in Virginia. However, Gassman Automotive's website is down now.

• 8 months later...
On ‎11‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 7:34 PM, JV Puleo said:

I find it hard to believe any of the great Classics (i.e., with a capital C) were painted outrageous colors... at least not very often. I do know of a couple, invariably the property of narcissists with lots of money desperate to be noticed.

Ever seen a Ruxton?

Craig

8 hours ago, Grimy said:

Sure does!

I was there only once about twenty years ago.......but I never forget a location with good cars. Not too bad considering the amount of garages I visit and considering it’s about three thousand miles from home! 

• Like 1

Of course, I have – and the crazy paint scheme was originally done for an auto show. It's like lemmings into the sea to presume that everyone that bought one wanted it to look like that. That said, I don't think that all the Ruxtons together made up any more than an infinitesimal percentage of the Classic cars.

1 hour ago, edinmass said:

was there only once about twenty years ago.......but I never forget a location with good cars. Not too bad considering the amount of garages I visit and considering it’s about three thousand miles from home! 

You have a superb memory, Ed.  It has been (only) nine years since I was there.

Congratulations, pughs, I'm delighted that this car will now get the attention and love it so richly deserves!

• 11 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Stepping up to a one off car like that is easy.........jumping off the cliff over the asking price is another thing. I like the car, but the list of purchasers for such a machine is smaller than most people can imagine. It's not a select market, or a slim market, its a non existing one.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, edinmass said:

Stepping up to a one off car like that is easy.........jumping off the cliff over the asking price is another thing. I like the car, but the list of purchasers for such a machine is smaller than most people can imagine. It's not a select market, or a slim market, its a non existing one.

Coachbuilt open car, documented auto show as new,  3 owners,  big motor full CCCA Classic chassis.  Only one known to exist of the 3 built.   What else do you want?

Edited by alsancle (see edit history)
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, auburnseeker said:

Even better body styling would be my biggest complaint.  I don't think that body is all that great looking. Top looks kind of clumsy and doesn't look like it flows well to the 1/4.  Could also be the angle of the photo.  Just my 2 cents. 

A view when new.  It is not Brunn's greatest design but I think it is ok.  A blind rear quarter would have been better.   According to notes from the 2nd owner,  the body was originally intended for the smaller 135 inch wheel base.  This car has 145.

584072b650b77_1929stearnsknight8-90conve

• Like 2

I think it's handsome and given what it is, I don't think the price is crazy. As with any orphan brand, the number of buyers is small, but I don't think it's zero. I can think of three of my own clients who own such unusual stuff and to whom it might appeal.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, auburnseeker said:

Not terrible,  I think it could be a little better,  more worried about the engine rebuild needed from the looks of the exhaust. 

It's a Knight sleeve valve--if it's not smoking, it's broken. And if it's a former Aseltine car, the mechanicals are going to be right. Nobody knew more about these cars than he.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Matt Harwood said:

It's a Knight sleeve valve--if it's not smoking, it's broken. And if it's a former Aseltine car, the mechanicals are going to be right. Nobody knew more about these cars than he.

This one smokes a little more than it should.  According to the notes with the car,  the original owner drove the car over 250k miles including multiple times across the country.  The car is mostly original including the interior.  It was painted or partially painted in 1951 by the first owner.   I think the buyer should assume a motor rebuild.  

• Like 1

18 hours ago, alsancle said:

Coachbuilt open car, documented auto show as new,  3 owners,  big motor full CCCA Classic chassis.  Only one known to exist of the 3 built.   What else do you want?

FANTASTIC CAR !!!  The fellow who owned for eons was the point person for Stearns Knight "everything", including parts -  fantastic car (also a huge care) and well documented from its first Auto Show to today. 

Sleeve Valve - they all smoke and does not matter how good the engine rebuild or how low the mileage - good news is your exhaust will never rust out.  

Most have a Skinner Oil Rectifier and that helps a little with the smoke. 

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)
  • Like 2

On ‎1‎/‎21‎/‎2020 at 5:21 PM, alsancle said:

Best I could find.

29-Stearns-Knight-J_DV-14-AI-a001-800.jp

I also like the looks of that.  I seem to remember an all-black Duesenberg with a similar almost square roll-down rear quarter window that was in the "Duesenberg Room" at the old Imperial Palace Museum around 1995 or so.

Craig

2 hours ago, 8E45E said:

I also like the looks of that.  I seem to remember an all-black Duesenberg with a similar almost square roll-down rear quarter window that was in the "Duesenberg Room" at the old Imperial Palace Museum around 1995 or so.

Craig

If you look at the factory photo and the the side shot,  I think what needs to happen from a cosmetic perspective is:

1.   Fenders and wheels are the dark dark brown currently on the molding.

2.   Snap rings are chromed

3.  Tires are black.

Voila!   Much better looking

• Like 2

14 hours ago, alsancle said:

Do you have it running yet Steve?   How about an update on the J-8-90?

I haven't touched the 1927 Victoria coupe pictured above but I have been working a lot on the J limousine. As you may know, the engine was seized when I got it. I spent about 8 months pouring stuff into the cylinders and trying to turn the crank shaft using a strap wrench on the fan pulley and a 4 foot piece of pipe. I used to try to turn it almost every day. Finally, after 8 months it moved about a quarter of an inch. Each day it would move a little more. After two months, I turned it a full revolution. All of the accessories and radiator were off the car when I got it. I put the starter back on, hooked up a battery, changed the oil, and turned it over continuously with the starter for about half an hour. I put the rest of the accessories back on, put the carburetor and ignition stuff back on, poured some gas into the intake manifold. It started and ran for a few seconds. I did this several times. I went to hook up the gas tank and fuel pump and found that there were holes in the gas tank. I removed it and sent it out to be repaired. I sent the sending unit to your friend Mike to fix the broken sending unit. The gas tank is back and I am waiting for the sending unit. I expect to have it running and drivable in the next few months.

• Like 5