alsancle

Stearns Knight

I have suggested a C3 corvette to AJ for the boy a few times.¬† Maybe he wants to start him higher on the food chain.. ūüôā

No Steve, not yet. I would like to see someone else step up.  Car is very cool and every little screw is still there.  It ticks all the boxes for me but I’ve seen this movie before.

5E226CEF-02BD-4022-993E-D7034A668203.jpeg

80FD7E79-45F7-40DC-B310-6DC0BF26541D.jpeg

F871AB11-79CE-4BB2-81F6-0E7E2A79D4E8.jpeg

F3373CA8-4204-4C4F-A45A-0E39FD90F98B.jpeg

B83C3049-C74B-49B6-90FB-72419B72BA01.jpeg

1 hour ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

I have suggested a C3 corvette to AJ for the boy a few times.¬† Maybe he wants to start him higher on the food chain.. ūüôā

Steve, funny you should mention that as he loved the L89 RM was selling.   I’ve developed an affinity for the 69 N14 cars.

• Like 1

The cabriolet in Al Giddings garage  before he sold it.

image.thumb.jpeg.4bf15f7738aa2b658edf429c2907664d.jpeg

A.J.

That Stearns-Knight Brunn would be the prefect stablemate for your REO Royale Dietrich sport sedan, both with wonderful proportions, both one-of-a-kind, both sole survivors.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 58L-Y8 said:

A.J.

That Stearns-Knight Brunn would be the prefect stablemate for your REO Royale Dietrich sport sedan, both with wonderful proportions, both one-of-a-kind, both sole survivors.  

I'm trying to come up with the reasons to buy it as the reasons not to buy it beat you in head.¬†¬† But it does check all my boxes.¬†¬† The Stearns guys - all 6 of them ūüėĄ are super nice and helpful.¬†¬† Sort of like married couples convincing other people to get married and have lots of kids.¬†¬† The water is fine,¬† come on in.

Speaking of Stearns guys,  Al Giddings,  who built the touring car and restored the only known Cabriolet shared a bunch of pictures with me and gave me permission to post them here.  I'll get them up shortly.

• Like 2

Here are a bunch of H890 Engine pictures courtesy of Al Giddings.  384 cubic inches,  120 HP.  

dsc08210_edited.jpg

dsc07647.jpg

dsc04901-1.jpg

dsc07724.jpg

dsc07717.jpg

dsc07600.jpg

• Like 5

On 11/26/2016 at 1:58 PM, John_Mereness said:

One of my dad's very first employees (a good friend and avid model railroader too), Dave Bell, drove a 1929 Stearns Knight 6 Cylinder Coupe - I believe it had a Robbins body and was very similar to the green 6 cyl coupe pictured above (excepting wooden wheels and a rear mount spare).  The body was mostly aluminum.  And, it was maroon with black fenders and natural wood  wheels - original interior.  Black long grain top - with landau irons. He drove the car everywhere and it was weekend regular in our driveway in the late 60's and early 70's.

Kendalls Stearns.jpg

• Like 2

Dave Bells car is now owned by a friend of mine.  Here it is pictured in my driveway 

3 minutes ago, Peterwoyen said:

Kendalls Stearns.jpg

Great photo and a very nice car - I cleaned it up many times (held the shop light and flashlight many an evening) and have probably well over 1000 miles in the rumble seat.  Unfortunately post an engine issue it got put away one winter with tree sap and left little spots in the paint on hood and ...   And, it sat in our driveway too at least once a week in any decent weather for probably 10 years. 

• Like 1

That's neat.  The car has great history in the hobby.  If I recall correctly it was sitting on a used car lot in CA in the later 50's.  I think Art Aseltine connected the dots for Dave Bell to buy it?  Does that seem  correct?  

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Peterwoyen said:

That's neat.  The car has great history in the hobby.  If I recall correctly it was sitting on a used car lot in CA in the later 50's.  I think Art Aseltine connected the dots for Dave Bell to buy it?  Does that seem  correct?  

Correct:  That is how I met Art in the early 1970's - he shared a hotel room with all of us at Hershey.

Dad, Jim Payne, and Dick Fulton all were instrumental in hiring Dave - they worked for the Foreign Technology Division of Air Force at Wright Patterson Air Force Base in Dayton, OH (to work there you had to have a hobby as work was so stressful - The 4 of them model railroaded among Dave and Dad restoring cars, and Jim building experimental airplanes).

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Peterwoyen said:

As a sidenote:  The car had been bumped in the rear corner (not damaging the body or right rear wheel though) and was missing it's passenger side rear fender and rear bumper when Dave bought it - those parts today are probably still the substituted he found for it. 

Add'l sidnote:  This was their only car for a while.  Then they bought a 49 Mercury wagon - that was kept in the extra garage spot at my Grandparents for a while and the 1930 Franklin 145 Sedan. 

On 11/26/2016 at 9:40 AM, alsancle said:

I'm wondering if the mesh grill was an accessory or something added later?  The period photos do not show it.

I believe the mesh grill on that car was added to replace factory shutters that must have been damaged.  Late 29 S-K's had optional shutters that were temperature operated.  

I believe Duane Perrin owns the lone 8 cylinder car with radiator shutters.  They moved the radiator forward 1.5 inches and lengthened the hoods (ala Duesenberg) to accomplish it.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, John_Mereness said:

As a sidenote:  The car had been bumped in the rear corner (not damaging the body or right rear wheel though) and was missing it's passenger side rear fender and rear bumper when Dave bought it - those parts today are probably still the substituted he found for it. 

Add'l sidnote:  This was their only car for a while.  Then they bought a 49 Mercury wagon - that was kept in the extra garage spot at my Grandparents for a while and the 1930 Franklin 145 Sedan. 

You are correct.  We discovered that the right rear fender was a replacement.  A very good one but the fender bead is different from S-K.  I don't remember the rear bumper detail.  That's interesting.  

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Peterwoyen said:

I believe the mesh grill on that car was added to replace factory shutters that must have been damaged.  Late 29 S-K's had optional shutters that were temperature operated.  

No, you are looking at a Honeycomb radiator - remember it is a 6 cylinder car and would not have had the 8 cyl louvers

3 minutes ago, John_Mereness said:

No, you are looking at a Honeycomb radiator - remember it is a 6 cylinder car and would not have had the louvers

I was trying to reply to the comment regarding the gray J sedan with the stone guard in front.  I'm not used to navigating the AACA forum I guess.  I'm very used to Facebook.  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Peterwoyen said:

I was trying to reply to the comment regarding the gray J sedan with the stone guard in front.  I'm not used to navigating the AACA forum I guess.  I'm very used to Facebook.  

Takes some practice and takes more practice to format posts and ...

I think people added the Stonguards as cars needed radiators for them and for a good long time honeycomb cores were not available (aka stonguard hides a sin) 

I know Al Giddings added stone guards because he liked stone guards.  His rad's were in good shape.  I was kind of sorry  to see them covered up.  An old Packard man made his.  I'm pretty sure the two tone gray S-K J-8-90 sedan had its stone guard added to replace the factory shutter system.  

• Like 1

This is Duane’s car. Highest surviving serial number Stearns.

984A64D1-BA7E-43F0-AB3E-ED6D7A6B5AF3.jpeg

2A0CD81F-322C-42C3-9F22-28A355071DE0.jpeg

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Peterwoyen said:

Stearns Chassis Glenmore Gathering.jpg

Peter,   is that yours?   Do you have any shots from before your started the restoration?   I love the wheels.

• Like 1

The photo of the finished chassis is probably at Meadowbrook, and that’s Katie Robbins standing in front of the chassis.