Stearns Knight

alsancle

12 minutes ago, edinmass said:

Yup.......same as a Mack dump truck.........probably the biggest and most heavy duty box ever placed in a car. It.s a top of the line box with all bearings.......no bushings.

Does that mean we can get the bearings?

37 minutes ago, Cookie Man said:

I would appreciate advice on removing the plated jacket on the steering column on my 28 Model J. The steering works fine but the jacket needs to be re-plated.

Thanks

Darryl

If I recall correctly (8-10 yrs ago now) you remove the series of screws on the bottom side of the steering wheel and remove the steering wheel.  There is a cup shaped  piece that the screws went through. Remove that.  I don't remember if it's on a keyway or not.  Loosen or remove the clamp that holds the steering column to the dash.  I believe the mast jacket should slide off.  There's probably more to it than that.  I had mine replated with chrome and have decided that it should be nickel instead.  I've eyed the job but haven't tackled it yet.  I think I had to tap the mast jacket down into place with a wood block.  It was snug over the new bushings we had made.  I'm concerned about marring it while removing.  In our case there were some dings and dents in the original jacket.  The plating shop ordered brass tubing the correct size and plated it.  It was more cost effective than repairing the old one.      

Ed,

When you take photos of the rubber running board covers can you also take some photos of the gas tank cover at the rear of the car. Does it have wood strips topped with a thin chrome strip or does it have wide chrome strips only? Thank you.

Steve

I’m scheduled to go to the building where the car is tomorrow at noon.......sorry I forgot to get to it Monday. Don’t hesitate to remind me.......I lost my marbles a long time ago.

• Haha 1

Jim is laughing at me above, because in the same building is his Duesenberg trunk he wants, and he thought I forgot to check again.......which I did, but went back......Jim....you owe me a beer!

Steve.....here you go, give me a call if you need more info.......I think the Brunn is different in the rear than any factory car. Best, Ed

IMG_2581.JPG

IMG_2582.JPG

IMG_2583.JPG

IMG_2584.JPG

IMG_2585.JPG

• Haha 1

The rear pan over the gas tank with the strips on it is typical to catalogue bodied cars.  The strips are steel and the pan is likely aluminum.  The running board trim is the correct factory type.  The rubber may or may not be replacement.  

Thank you for the photos. Here is the one that came with my car. I have cleaned it up and fixed some of the damage. After looking at some archival photos along with the ones Ed sent I thought that maybe it was totally incorrect but it looks to be the same as Darryl's. I have no rubber on my running boards. Can anyone recommend a good source?

DSC02492.thumb.JPG.34fa59818f61097fb1bd5fca3113d0fd.JPG

• Like 1

Nice LaSalle. For rubber your just going to have to look around, see if you can find it wide enough so you don’t have to have a seam.........it’s hard to get seams right..........just did a set last week.........Ed

• Like 1

4 hours ago, pughs said:

Thank you for the photos. Here is the one that came with my car. I have cleaned it up and fixed some of the damage. After looking at some archival photos along with the ones Ed sent I thought that maybe it was totally incorrect but it looks to be the same as Darryl's. I have no rubber on my running boards. Can anyone recommend a good source?

DSC02492.thumb.JPG.34fa59818f61097fb1bd5fca3113d0fd.JPG

The polished or plated strips on the gas tank cover is a really neat detail.  Its the first I've seen that.  The cars have minor differences here and there.  My car came with Brewster running boards on it.  Mahogony with grooves and drain holes.  Raised metal strips or treads on the top.  No rubber.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Peterwoyen said:

The polished or plated strips on the gas tank cover is a really neat detail.  Its the first I've seen that.  The cars have minor differences here and there.  My car came with Brewster running boards on it.  Mahogony with grooves and drain holes.  Raised metal strips or treads on the top.  No rubber.

At 5k plus and a very small production run I'm sure every car is a little bit different.   Sometimes an owner might have specified something, or sometimes the factory ran out of parts or did a production change for whatever reason.

It would be interesting to know how many cars were built on speculation based on being ordered.    

Its very possible the chrome strips were added in the 60’s.......they were made by a guy in Connecticut for lots of cars.......Pierce, Packard, Stutz, ect............a very early form of bling before all the lights and mirrors became popular.  I have seen car where the owner insisted they were factory..........and then showed them a photo of their car before they were added. My suspicion is that in 1928-1929 is to say.........probably not correct...........Pierce used added trim like this for their auto show cars..........even the small venues Had cars with extras......

• Like 1

9 hours ago, edinmass said:

Nice LaSalle. For rubber your just going to have to look around, see if you can find it wide enough so you don’t have to have a seam.........it’s hard to get seams right..........just did a set last week.........Ed

Ed, I first saw the Lasalle around 1961. I kept in touch with the owner and after 57 years he finally sold it to me. It is all original but shabby (like all my other cars). It has original paint and upholstery. It runs well.

1509895958_MeMonicaLaSalle-01-crop1.thumb.JPG.785c455a185e201cfa210a588296f977.JPG

Edited by pughs (see edit history)
  • Like 3

1927 Stearns Knight Series F85

Click photo for MORE Photos

This 1927 Stearns-Knight F6 Series Sedan has only 8,000+ miles. I`m the 4th owner of this nearly untouched condition Stearns-Knight

1. Mechanically very good but should be gone through
  2. Paint appears original
  3. Green mohair interior will have to be restored but complete enough to replicate patterns
  4. Some of the wood floor will need replacing but the rest of the car is extremely solid
  5. Only changes of note is an electric fuel pump and Motometer replaced

Missing interior door and window handles

Please call or email for complete information. Make this true survivor yours for $17,500
    No texts please

Dorset, VT,

Ed,

My car sat unrestored and undisturbed from at least 1951 until the owner before me got the car. I am pretty sure that the gas tank cover is what was on it from the factory. If it was modified it would have had to have been done in the 1930's which seems unlikely to me. Since it also matches Darryl's cover, I am now pretty sure that it is the way it came new.

9 minutes ago, pughs said:

Ed,

My car sat unrestored and undisturbed from at least 1951 until the owner before me got the car. I am pretty sure that the gas tank cover is what was on it from the factory. If it was modified it would have had to have been done in the 1930's which seems unlikely to me. Since it also matches Darryl's cover, I am now pretty sure that it is the way it came new.

I  agree with your conclusion...........interesting that they were adding bling that early. And it’s nice to have another car as proof of “as built”. 👍

• Like 1

On 6/20/2020 at 1:55 PM, alsancle said:

Interesting to compare the F85 to the car that was for sale a few weeks ago on Facebook.   This looks like a really nice original car.

Same car - it did appear a nice original car, but it had serious wood rot on the drivers side door sill (like nothing was connecting the cowl to the center door post - and the passenger's side could be better, but it had same design flaw of no space between the splash apron and the wooded sill) - I guess you could splice wood in to get you by for a while, but to do a quality repair you would have the body of the car pretty near shredded.  

And, it was moth-y too (but you may be able to get by with just redoing the seat upholstery).  

Sheet metal wise, completeness (he said he had the grill emblem, though did not include it in photos and it had broken die cast interior window handles (and I assume bezels), interior door handles (and I assume bezels), dome lamp bezel/lens, and steering sector pars, as well as a missing clock) , and ... - it is as nice as unrestored cars of the period come. 

And it runs and driveway drives too !

The advertisement is from The Horseless Carriage Club

1927 Stearns Knight Series F85

Click photo for MORE Photos

This 1927 Stearns-Knight F6 Series Sedan has only 8,000+ miles. I`m the 4th owner of this nearly untouched condition Stearns-Knight

1. Mechanically very good but should be gone through
  2. Paint appears original
  3. Green mohair interior will have to be restored but complete enough to replicate patterns
  4. Some of the wood floor will need replacing but the rest of the car is extremely solid
  5. Only changes of note is an electric fuel pump and Motometer replaced

Missing interior door and window handles

Please call or email for complete information. Make this true survivor yours for $17,500
    No texts please

Dorset, VT,

14710.jpg

14710_1.jpg

14710_2.jpg

14710_4.jpg

14710_3.jpg

100766536_1062794900788318_880862882915418112_n.jpg?_nc_cat=103&_nc_sid=843cd7&_nc_ohc=0l-mlUxzxAIAX_eUkPU&_nc_ht=scontent.fluk1-1.fna&oh=a2a376c8330f969c04afebc8aa26dbfb&oe=5EF8BE99

101340880_1062795014121640_5593172988586360832_n.jpg?_nc_cat=106&_nc_sid=843cd7&_nc_ohc=475k9_oXyZ4AX-BTyaz&_nc_ht=scontent.fluk1-1.fna&oh=bed4fdb98b08e13fc8a9775f662eaa42&oe=5EF7A241

101222123_1062794487455026_2168931585099825152_n.jpg?_nc_cat=109&_nc_sid=843cd7&_nc_ohc=LcAv2-tH4JcAX9Tn1ta&_nc_ht=scontent.fluk1-1.fna&oh=f0f1ba3638d7dcc3964372c5426d303c&oe=5EF85C55

101013230_1062794397455035_522933743124480000_n.jpg?_nc_cat=100&_nc_sid=843cd7&_nc_ohc=yHdVdeGZVzsAX-nK2cO&_nc_ht=scontent.fluk1-1.fna&oh=023e4e5b14cc85a57ada1aff66fd7582&oe=5EF7501E

101506626_1062795150788293_4733828093687365632_n.jpg?_nc_cat=106&_nc_sid=843cd7&_nc_ohc=L6Iz1e_K_ZUAX9FhXXW&_nc_ht=scontent.fluk1-1.fna&oh=e36dcb53efbac6772612a0a28f3c5063&oe=5EF70DE4

IMG_20200530_141430.jpg

IMG_20200530_142802.jpg

IMG_20200530_142802.jpg

IMG_20200530_141454.jpg

MVIMG_20200530_141449.jpg

Sidenote:  This may very well be the same car when it was new

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)
  • Like 2

I was going through some photos that Mark Young sent to me of my car taken around 1960. It settles the question of the gas tank cover and crank hole cover. I have asked the previous owner if he has any addition parts for my car several times but he says no.

943841554_1929Stearns-KnightfromMarkYoung-16.thumb.jpg.ddbe504bb09c00dfd9c2fb53fda1e6de.jpg

1221115437_1929Stearns-KnightfromMarkYoung-17.thumb.jpg.21e24a2b3f94d54aaf37248dbeba6b30.jpg

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, pughs said:

AJ,

I don't know. The previous owner had it chromed which is the way I received it. The shell is out right now to have the white stripe added.

Interesting the headlights were painted too.  That certainly looks like original paint.

• 5 weeks later...

I got the fuel pump back today and put it on the car (1929 J-8-90 limo). The pump worked and the car started as soon as the gas hit the carburetor. The carburetor will need to be adjusted but the car is smooth and quiet and not much smoke...but I shut it down after 15-20 seconds because the oil gauge didn't move. I had changed the oil a couple of months ago and there was plenty of fresh clean oil in the crank case. I checked the oil filter which I had also cleaned out and there was no new oil in it. I took out the oil pressure regulator adjustment screw and the was a small remnant of old oil but no fresh oil in it. Before I drop the pan and check the oil pump, does anyone else have any other suggestions. Since the engine was seized with old coagulated oil when I got it and spent almost a year soaking the cylinders before I was able to free it, I am wondering if the oil lines are also clogged with old hardened oil. If that is the case, does anyone have suggestions on how to clean the lines out without disassembling the engine? Thank you.

Steve

Edited by pughs (see edit history)

Steve, it’s a gamble, but an oil pressure pot with zero weight oil won’t hurt anything if you use it at low pressure and volume. I’m not familiar with them enough to comment on the lines and galleries plugging up. I would turn the engine over with no plugs in it with the starter while applying the pressure pot.

• Like 1

The Brunn now has license  plates, they were delayed with the pandemic, so I will finally start driving it and sorting it this week......I will post photos ASAP. Ed

• Like 2

10 hours ago, edinmass said:

The Brunn now has license  plates, they were delayed with the pandemic, so I will finally start driving it and sorting it this week......I will post photos ASAP. Ed

I can't put my finger on what it is but you are much better looking in your avatar picture these days.  Haircut?

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, alsancle said:

I can't put my finger on what it is but you are much better looking in your avatar picture these days.  Haircut?

Rude and sarcastic comment withheld due to good taste............

PS- I forgot to tell you about the hammer I dropped on the headlight on the Stearns..........it happened tomorrow..........

• Haha 2

On 6/22/2020 at 1:48 PM, alsancle said:

Steve, painted radiator shell?  Factory or later?

I always wondered if that car was blacked out during WWII .  Was that  a Southern CA car where they were worried about air raid attacks?  Weird thought on my part maybe?  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Peterwoyen said:

I always wondered if that car was blacked out during WWII .  Was that  a Southern CA car where they were worried about air raid attacks?  Weird thought on my part maybe?  

Not a bad theory Peter.    Another possibility,  the cars were expensive enough that a customer looking at the dealer could  probably get away with some custom requests to close the deal. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, alsancle said:

Will the pan drop without pulling the motor?   Also,  did Mark mention new bronze gears?

I want to say yes the pan  will drop without pulling the motor.  I need to do that myself soon.   Mark had  bronze gears made some years back.  I don't recall right now if there are any extra.