Stearns Knight

alsancle

28 minutes ago, Cookie Man said:

Yes, the top folds back. The block may be coated with porcelain. Art Aseltine restored the motor and chassis about 20 years ago.

Peter we spoke on Facebook a few months ago regarding my engine being stuck.

I didn't realize that.  So the Brunn terminology of "town cabriolet" makes more sense now.   That is cool.   What is the interior material?   I was surprised the Victoria is cloth,  as most open cars have leather.   A town car would typically have a leather driver's compartment and cloth in back.

On 3/24/2020 at 9:56 PM, alsancle said:

Eddy, is that a gemmer box?  Can you rebuild it?

Yes, Gemmer......it’s a smaller series box than the one used in Pierce, Cord, Stutz, and Stude. I’m sure it’s rebuildable but nothing will be available for it. So if it needs parts, it’s going to be time consuming and expensive. Most likely a disassemble and cleaning will solve 95 percent of the issues. If it wasn’t over adjusted and driven, most likely it’s fine.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, edinmass said:

Yes, Gemmer......it’s a smaller series box than the one used in Pierce, Cord, Stutz, and Stude. I’m sure it’s rebuildable but nothing will be available for it. So if it needs parts, it’s going to be time consuming and expensive. Most likely a disassemble and cleaning will solve 95 percent of the issues. If it wasn’t over adjusted and driven, most likely it’s fine.

It seems to me we did some rebuilding on ours.  I would need to dig into it to see how or where we sourced parts.  It may be that we just had bushings made or replaced bearings.  

9 minutes ago, Peterwoyen said:

It seems to me we did some rebuilding on ours.  I would need to dig into it to see how or where we sourced parts.  It may be that we just had bushings made or replaced bearings.  

Until about ten years ago, the special bearings were able to be sourced......today, they seem to be all gone. Often we change the box and worm over to an available modern bearing........if it can be done. Usually on Gemmer boxes, we machine the box and install Torrington roller bearings where the bushings were used originally. Makes for a much better steering box, but adds cost and time to the project. We also machine the entire box for modern seals, so when we are finished we run ATF as a lubricant..........steers like a dream after a total overhaul with added bearings.

post-31625-143138555314_thumb.jpg

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, Cookie Man said:

Interior Stearns Knight 1928 Town Cabriolet Brunn

IMG_1099.JPG

Love the big wooden steering wheel.

Hate to pry, but as you know this car has always been a fascination as it was the first collector car my dad ever looked at to purchase  - he thinks about 1963-ish. 

Is the dashboard aluminum that had been grained ?

The rear compartment looks very plain and simple - No rear seat center arm rest ? Plain of fancy woodwork ? What kind of stuff does it have on the center consul between compartments/jump seats, opera seats, clock, and/or ... ?  

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)

5 hours ago, alsancle said:

Amazing what you can do with an unlimited amount of time and money.

Eddy,   what are the model Gemmer boxes in 1928-30?  I'm surprised these cars would have a smaller box.  The J is heavier than all the cars you mentioned.

AJ- It's an assembled car, my guess is they went with what Gemmer recommended at the time....they had a bunch of box designs, and them custom made the flange and case cover as a special part for the particular application. Thus there are many boxes that are "195" series, but they are all different from brand of car when it comes to the flange.............this was very common in the 20's and 30's for smaller car manufacturers.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, alsancle said:

John,  I'm not the expert and don't own a car,  but I believe the entire dash is aluminum with wood grain on it.  There is an issue with the instrument cluster where it is not strong enough and over time they all crack and break.

The gauge cluster panel is made of pot metal and does what pot metal does.  It warps and cracks and swells.  Years back now we had a batch of new ones machined from aluminum.  Art likely bought one from us.  It was a difficult thing to have someone draw it up and  then CNC it.  The originals were so distorted they were difficult to measure.  We had mostly good success with it.  I did have to plug and re-drill some of the holes for the trim bezel.  We had tried to include that step in the machining process and they were off.   

• Like 2

I am not surprised on the Gemmer box.  My first impression was its small for the car, and looks virtually identical to the 29 -31 Model A Ford box, Gemmer supplied about a third of them.  I reallize there were likely variations but if worm gear is same, those parts are available and potentially could reduce level of effort Ed mentions.  Even adjusting screws appear to be same.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Peterwoyen said:

Terrific color for these stately cars in my opinion.  Muted rich tones rather than something brash 

Is your car a sidemount or rear spare car?   Also,  have you picked your colors?   Anything but red please.

31 minutes ago, John_Mereness said:

No photo description available.

Reminds me of an old girlfriend back in college...................Fun to take for a ride, or a long weekend away, but you don't want to be seen around your home town in it..........🤫

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, edinmass said:

Reminds me of an old girlfriend back in college...................Fun to take for a ride, or a long weekend away, but you don't want to be seen around your home town in it..........🤫

I take it you don't care for that body style  chuckle

47 minutes ago, Peterwoyen said:

I take it you don't care for that body style  chuckle

Headlights are too small, and too much junk in the trunk! 😝

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, alsancle said:

I think the actual car which they smartly decided to put on the 145” wheelbase looks better than the drawing on the 135”.

Right Ed?

Yes.......she was too tall also!😀

• Like 1

Eddy,  why do you force me to do this?  It is not often that a car looks better than the rendering,  but I think in this case it did.  The extra 10 inches in the wheelbase pushes the rear fender out behind the back line of the roof.

Also,  on the actual car,  the trunk is longer and which created a more gentle slope.

I need a better scan of the Brunn drawing, but for now this will have to do.

StearnsKnightBrunnDrawingComparison.png

Edited by alsancle (see edit history)
  • Like 2

On 2/18/2017 at 1:22 PM, alsancle said:

BrunnStearnsAutoShow.thumb.JPG.cc2e198a8372205f7d39fc4ca0719da3.JPG

When the car is matched to this photo, I think it will be a whole different beast in "looks" (I do like the addition of the vinyl side-mount spare tire covers with badge and mirrors though) - by the way, most people do not realize the massive size of the car until standing beside it in person. 

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)

Stearns Automobile Factory 1939 CP02758

Stearns Automobile Factory 1939 CP02758
Subject Cleveland (Ohio)--Buildings, structures, etc.--Photographs
Industries--Ohio--Cleveland--Photographs
Description F. B. Stearns and Company, a Cleveland manufacturer of luxury cars, was located on the corner of Euclid Avenue and Lakeview Road.
Date (Alpha) 1939
Date 1939
Type Still Image
Original Format Photographs
Format Note Gelatin silver print
Digital Format image/jp2
Location Cleveland (Ohio)
Cuyahoga County (Ohio)
Ohio
Original Collection Cleveland Picture Collection
Location of Original Cleveland Public Library. Photograph Collection.