Roadside help

Xander Wildeisen

I brought up this question on a different post. (sorry Paul) On the street rod side of the car world, they have a list of club members that have shops/garages that can help out other club members passing through town with their classic cars, should they run into a problem on the road. I was wondering if the AACA had a list of members that could do the same? If tours were planed on a route that passed by shops, drivers could take a break and cars could be looked over. Might take some of the worry out of hitting the road with some of the older cars.

I belong to several clubs that have that service. The National Street Rod Assc. the V-8 Ford Club of America and the National Woodie Club all send out a "Directory of Members". I keep them in the tool kit that I keep in my car. If I am ever in a jam on the road, help is just a phone call away.

When my Daughter got her license we picked up a AAA membership for her. It has been great for her AND her friends,

So when I bought a second Jaguar, one that actually ran, I decided I needed a membership with extended towing, as a Jaguar owner. My wife, who has a lousy sense of humor, made a wisecrack one time that the only thing she saw come in with a AAA ride was my Buick.

Kinda brings out the Ralph Kramden in you.

1e6973e5cbb370ef07a63802671a28e5.jpg

Bernie

• Like 2

The Vintage Triumph Register (VTR) has a similar list on their website at:  http://vintagetriumphregister.org/travel-assistance-program/

There are two links, one for "Submitting a Listing" and the other is the "Directory".  The directory is listed by state.

If you sign up on the website your name, address, and phone number is available to their website along with what you can provide for assistance like manuals, hand tools, etc, etc. 

1 hour ago, plymouthcranbrook said:

It would seem to me that a roster would be a "Living Document" subject to almost constant changes. How do they keep it updated for help?  Do members volunteer to be listed as help or?

The Early Ford V-8 Club of America member roster is updated every year. 

The AACA Roster is available from the Home page to AACA Members only.  You must log in with you member number and PIN.  It is kept current, but only lists name and mailing address.  I'll  bring this up to the VP of Membership to add phone numbers and email addresses.  These are published in the print edition that is published every other year.

Xander,

Are you a current member of AACA?  If so, you can log into the AACA Roster from the home page.  Your member ID and PIN are printed on the Antique Automobile mailing label.  It's only $35 per year with great benefits including six wonderful issues of our magazine if not and will give you access to the Roster..

I am a current AACA member (shows your screening process still needs work) Looked for the roster on the Home page, did not see it, I am guessing that I would be listed, having a membership. The Speedster is a nice magazine, good job to who ever puts it together. Not sure how you add all the stuff below your posts, showing the cars or clubs or comments?

3 hours ago, Vila said:

The Vintage Triumph Register (VTR) has a similar list on their website at:  http://vintagetriumphregister.org/travel-assistance-program/

There are two links, one for "Submitting a Listing" and the other is the "Directory".  The directory is listed by state.

If you sign up on the website your name, address, and phone number is available to their website along with what you can provide for assistance like manuals, hand tools, etc, etc. 

Thank you for the information.

12 hours ago, 61polara said:

Xander,

Are you a current member of AACA?  If so, you can log into the AACA Roster from the home page.  Your member ID and PIN are printed on the Antique Automobile mailing label.  It's only $35 per year with great benefits including six wonderful issues of our magazine if not and will give you access to the Roster..

On the home page it shows the speedster magazine a monthly issue. What would be the deal with getting just 6? Are membership dues higher to get 12 issues?

Several things.  Speedster is 12 months, Antique Automobile is bi-monthly (6).  New issue about to go out today or Monday.  We do not publish anywhere email addresses or phones other than the presidents (email) of the regions as permitted on our website.

We have talked about the service Xander has brought up in the past but one of those things that has been tabled...will bring it up again. 

7 hours ago, Xander Wildeisen said:

When was the last Speedster magazine sent out? Thinking about it last night, I do not think that I have received one for awhile. Member number on card is 009797  J .  Do the numbers reflect how many members are in the club?  

I know I did not receive the July/August Issue of Antique Auto.  How can I get a replacement? 

20 hours ago, 61polara said:

The AACA Roster is available from the Home page to AACA Members only.  You must log in with you member number and PIN.  It is kept current, but only lists name and mailing address.  I'll  bring this up to the VP of Membership to add phone numbers and email addresses.  These are published in the print edition that is published every other year.

Its lack of phone numbers would be a big disadvantage

in contacting fellow members for advice or roadside help!  

Sorry for my mix up, back fire in the brain. I do get the Speedster emailed. And the Antique Auto mailed, I did not receive the last issue. May be some one in the post office figured out how to get the magazine. Not a big deal, life will go on. here is a link to the NSRA fellow pages.     http://nsra-usa.com/Members/Fellow-Pages/

If you start putting emails and phones on the list also put an option to NOT receive any advertising. I assume you will not sell this info to current advertisers or outside list companies. I have been in the service burea business for 40+ years specializing in magazine list fulfillment and often receive list with this data on them. So if you do I suggest you make the fulfillment bureau sign a contract stating they will not process any out going list with that info on it under pentality of a large payment. I do that for my customers as a matter of policy. I also suggest a salt file be added to the list to check on the processing. 

Edited by SC38DLS (see edit history)

Xander,

If you go to the home page, click on Member Info, then click on Members Sign In.  Log on with your membership number (without the J at the end) and your PIN from the cover of the Antique Automobile.  Once in, you will see "Membership Lookup" on the left.  You can also access the Antique Automobile here in digital format, so you can see if you missed an issue.

Lots of different ways to do it.   We belong to a MG Club that actually publishes a members aid directory and it's proven useful a couple of times for some members I know.  For tours I've been on there is usually a list of help available published in the tour book, but it's the coming and going that might need to be covered, especially if you are driving an older car.  Wonder if a good way to handle it for a club as large as AACA might be to have a point of contact in each Region/Chapter?   Just having someone to call and ask where to get help could be an extra safety net and at least make you feel more comfortable about venturing out in an antique car.

Terry

Talk of roadside help reminded me of a trip a friend and I tried back in the 70s. We decided we were going to drive our Crosleys 450 miles to the Nationals. I plotted the route using the Crosley club roster to pass close to as many members as possible in case we needed help and avoiding interstates. No advance arrangements were made for help and the longest anyone would have to come to rescue us (if willing) would be around 21 miles. We loaded up with lots of spare parts we thought we would need in his 49 wagon and my Super Sports and headed out. My friend had put 4 brand new radials on his wagon for the trip. He unfortunately used the old tubes, don't know if it was because they were old or because he was using the wrong kind of tubes in radials but he had 3 flats caused by tube failure in the first 50+ miles. We had made another 20 miles or so and he had a fan blade break and go through the radiator. We had left early in the morning and it was now mid afternoon and we had made a total of 70+ miles on what we had planned to be 2 days at the most. So I called the nearest member, we had broke down about 1 mile past the longest distance someone would have to come to rescue us. Got the Father of the actual member who was a teenager and he came right out and towed my friends car back to his place. They feed us supper and then we got busy. They found an extra radiator and fan and we put the wagon back together. They offered to put us up for the night so we could get an early start. We talked it over and decided to abort and try to get back home. We took off, got on the NY Thurway figuring it would be fastest if we didn't break down again and was back to my house in under 2 hours, 90 some miles.

Not a lot of Crosley people do long road trips in their cars but I know more than a few that keeps the roster in the glovebox when they do. WIth smart phones and such the online AACA roster might be a resource. I haven't looked at it to see what it includes.