Just when you thought you had seen it all a 53? PoBro Woody.

auburnseeker

Looks like a winner.

golden.jpg

A national honor.

I don't have any problem with it and the builder HAD to have a sense of humor. I'd drive it, although I'd prefer a Blazer with a SBC. Of course, when the Stevens family came out with those Excalibers I remember being pretty excited over them.

Actually going back to the first post, I remembered the of advertising copy "Somewhere West of Laramie". I was thinking "Somewhere East of Watertown."

Bernie

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)
  • Like 1

It looks like the Pontiac nose was grafted onto a small SUV, like an International Scout or Bronco or Blazer. That quarter window glass in the front door looks awfully modern.

With the rest being homemade, of course.

Guest Skyking
7 hours ago, Dave Mellor NJ said:

Price is starting at $200. I'd jump on that, 53 Chevy grille and all

DSCF0429.jpg

Why the double mirrors????

Has anyone been into the hidden areas of CCCA recognized classics? I know that interior wood work would put Fleetwood body company to shame. And I have seen gobs of lead oozing out of panel seams. On a true Classic the shoddy workmanship get covered with upholstery and leather. This car actually outshines some of the front row coachbuilt cars I have seen at shows.

Notice that both the topic car and the '41 Pontiac have exterior wood shaped to the body curves. That is a sign of quality. Most wood cars have straight outer timbers. Paint the sheet metal to relieve the rat rod wannabe look and the car would be quite presentable. Maybe even a little more attractive than some factory designs.

1979-International-Scout-II-Rallye.jpg

There is a cruise in on the edge of Rochester, New York at a place called Stony's. The last time I went there were five or six old stiffs sitting on folding chairs looking so sour and miserable the air tasted like lemons. I don't know how they got that way, but somehow I just thought of them. Be careful when owners of these out of the ordinary cars show up. I don't go to Stony's, don't like the atmosphere.

And I was about 12 when I first started going to car shows (and owned one that was in my back yard). The image of the people I met is very well etched in my mind; a weazened up old man wearing work clothes and pointing his palsied, gnarled finger at me telling me what I should think. Be careful. That could be you..... right before the conversation on how to introduce younger people to the hobby.

Well, I going for a ride in my '86 Buick with the roof cut off.

Bernie

A person can have drive and build anything they want.  I reserve judgement on that but when they put it up for sale, they open themselves up for critique as buyers will tell them with their pocketbook whether their vision was an improvement or a flop.  The major auto manufactures get the same lesson when they release their new design,  build it and actually try to sell it at the dealerships.  Some will be an instant hit,  others will linger on the lot for a year or more until they can retool and build something that will actually sell. 

Thinking outside the box gone wrong?

*shrugs*

It's an intriguing project, even if it isn't my cup of tea.  Wouldn't mind seeing it in person to check it out better.

Cort > www.oldcarsstronghearts.com
pigValve.paceMaker.cowValve | 1979 Caprice Classic (needs new owner)
"Time will heal the pain" __ Exile __ 'Even Now'

The ebay bidding for the truck is about to end, with the top bid at $1775.00.  It looks like it's not going to make its reserve,  and it would be interesting to know what the reserve is.  The woodwork looks pretty good, but it also looks to be very, very heavy.  I'll bet the woodwork alone has added 700 - 800 pounds to the Bronco.

Cheers,

Grog