Exhaust manifolds for 1941-42 large series dual carb owners

Matt Harwood

Many of you know how frustrated I've been with the exhaust manifolds on my '41 Limited lately. Originals cracked and the replacements cracked in about 45 minutes of driving. I'm not going to spend $1000-1500 on another set of 70 year old cast iron pieces.

However, in one of those little fortuitous little moments that life throws your way, I had a fabricator wander into my shop today. I showed him the Limited's engine and the old broken manifolds and started talking about how if I get fed up I might just have someone make a set of stainless "headers" for the car and be done with it. His response? "I can do it."

We talked at length about what we'd need, how we'd do it, and how they should look (we only talked about doing the dual carb exhaust manifolds, sorry). We would eliminate the flapper valve but would retain some kind of box as both a collector and to support the intake manifold (as a side note, he remarked when looking at the post-mortem of my manifolds that it appears bolting the intake and exhaust manifolds together rigidly helped cause the cracking, a theory which probably has some merit). These new tubular manifolds would have to work with the stock intake manifold and have exhaust outlets at the original positions and angle so you wouldn't have to change your exhaust. We don't much care about flow or improving performance--the originals aren't great for flow anyway--the goal is only to have a set of exhaust manifolds that don't leak and maybe, sort-of, might look like originals if you simply glance into the engine bay (check the photos below to see how visible they might be). We also discussed eliminating the copper rings and instead extend the stainless tubing past the flanges to act as the ring to help seal the exhaust ports. We also talked about materials and thought that T-306 stainless would be a good choice since it's not quite as brittle and hard as T-304 and mellows to a nice gold/brown color as it heat cycles, so if you leave the manifolds raw, at least they won't look like shiny silver pipes. It was also interesting to note that the manifolds appear to be mirror images of each other, which will help jigging and fixturing for production.

He's pretty excited about doing this project and suggested that the materials would not be expensive but it would take a lot of time, at least for the first set. He kept saying "expensive" to do the first prototypes, but when I pinned him down, "expensive" meant "maybe $2000 plus materials." That seems shockingly reasonable. He likes the project simply because it's a challenge and it isn't a thing that's already available, but an actual opportunity to solve a problem for people. The more he looked, the more confident he became that he could make something that looked "maybe 75%" like the original parts. Once they're painted and installed and mostly hidden by the intake manifold, it won't be terribly noticeable. Not for judging, of course, but for a car that gets driven or like my Limited, simply needs some kind of manifold to be driven at all, it might be an economical solution.

So I'm here asking if there's interest. He needs a set of original manifolds (all three pieces) and a cylinder head for mock-up, all of which I can supply. He'll need to be paid, and I'm willing to foot a chunk of that bill, too. But I was wondering if we do all this work, will there be a market for the results? A one-off is fine for me, and he doesn't care either way, but if there are even five or ten other guys who could benefit from something like this, I bet we could have new stainless "manifolds" for under a grand, no leaks, no future cracks, no issues. I was thinking $100 or $200 towards the prototyping would reserve you a set of the finished manifolds, once we've thoroughly tested the prototypes and finalized a quality design. I do know that every other '41 Buick I've heard running on YouTube has cracked manifolds, and they can't be the only ones.

Feedback? Thoughts? Please let me know so I know if this is something worth pursuing!

DSC_3354a.jpg

DSC_3357a.jpg

DSC_3359a.jpg

DSC_3362a.jpg

DSC_3369a.jpg

Edited by Matt Harwood
Paragraph spacing (see edit history)

That's the answer, maybe judges will UNDERSTAND the issue, and go easy on point reductions for those that go the fab route, SEEMS SMART TO ME.

My exhaust is 304, and I truly love the set up. Mandrel bent, beautiful Tig welds, a Indy car exhaust fellow built my

system.

Dale in Indy

• Like 1

Sorry, TXBuicks, I didn't mean to confuse anyone. I haven't had custom pieces made yet, those are original manifolds on the car right now. I spent $1500 for replacements, $3500 to have them painted and installed, and they cracked again within about 45 minutes of driving. So that's when I started thinking about alternatives. Nothing's been built yet, but I'm trying to gauge whether it's worth ponying up several thousand dollars more to have a set made, perhaps a run of 10 sets, for others to use.

So no, what you're seeing is how it's supposed to look. The stainless pieces would look noticeably different. Sorry for the confusion!

Seems to me a crafty person could fab a manifold from stainless that could be hidden inside a hollowed out original cast iron manifold and appear stock. Or perhaps cast new iron covers to replicate the look of the original. Best of both worlds. Damn, now I'll be awake all night figuring out how it might be done.

No wonder they looked great!  I deleted my previous post displaying my ignorance in not knowing these were pictures of the original manifolds.  Although I've seen thousands of Straight 8 engines, I've never owned a Straight 8 Buick.  I'm embarrassed that I couldn't identify an original setup.  Hopefully not many people read it. 

• Like 1

If you 'could' MASK stainless within the originals the exhaust/intake would be VERY RESTRICTED, IMHO.

I'm NO expert, but that approach would be out of the question.

When all is said and done, STAINLESS will be the choice.  PERIOD!

It's also my opinion that removing the DOG HOUSE would aid in, reducing the build time, a better looking/functioning setup, and probably less cost.  

I would shop around, contacting race shops in the area, there are a lot of talented fellows building exhaust setups, I know that in Indy there are at least a dozen or more. 

My friend Steve Schmidt, pro stock engine builder, builds all his exhaust, and intake manifolds in house, and he AIN'T the only one doing such. 

Dale in Indy

I actually spent some time working on the car and found that most of the leaking exhaust noise was coming from the manifold/exhaust pipe joint, not the crack in the manifold itself. The flange was just a flat gasket and getting it to line up perfectly was probably a challenge. My mechanic noted that he had a hard time getting everything to line up properly and that it took two gaskets on the rear one to get it to seal. Looks like that double gasket seal failed.

Looking at the manifolds, it dawned on me that a donut style exhaust gasket from, say, a small block Chevy would be about the same size. Off to the auto parts store! After prowling around in back and using my broken manifold as a reference, I came up with two donuts that just about fit inside. Take it all back to the shop, pull it apart, scrape old gaskets, and install donuts. After adding some slightly longer bolts, I was able to pull it all together and voila! It's sealed up again. There's a noticeable tick when it's cold, especially under acceleration, but after a minute or two, it seems to warm up enough to seal the crack and it's quiet again. So I'm calling this a win!

I'm still going to see what my fabricator friend thinks about the project, because I don't trust that the manifolds will stay the way they are--the cracks will surely get worse. But at least I got a small win and it no longer sounds like a dump truck.

Edited by Matt Harwood (see edit history)
  • Like 1

If you were to write up an article like that, I would also be interested in publishing it in the Torque Tube II, since the 36-38 Buick Club is open to all Straight 8 Buick years now. I suspect we would have a few members also interested in that subject.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

$2500? Really?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1941-1942-buick-dual-carb-intake-and-exhaust-manifolds-carbs-air-cleaner-ser-70-/152167643217?hash=item236de5f851:g:qwQAAOSwAPlXh~pR&vxp=mtr

I'll be deciding after Allentown if I'm keeping the Limited. If I do keep it, I think I'll have a set of tubular headers made for it. I'm tired of the noise.

On July 15, 2016 at 10:53 PM, Matt Harwood said:

I'll be deciding after Allentown if I'm keeping the Limited. If I do keep it, I think I'll have a set of tubular headers made for it. I'm tired of the noise.

Matt

I have a 52 Roadmaster project planned for down the road and I too need an exhaust manifold. If per chance there is enough common ground between your '41 and my '52 exhaust manifold I would possibly be interested in a tubular set up. Might be cheaper by the dozen!

Gary

• 2 years later...

Guys,  I have a Buick Series 90 twin Stromberg Straight Eight engine  which also suffers from the cracked exhaust manifold syndrome.

I read the posts on this subject...did anyone get round to have tubular exhaust headers made for this engine?

• 2 years later...
  • 3 months later...
On 12/13/2021 at 10:21 PM, BobPilkie said:

Hi Bob here in Edmonton Alberta did you manage to get dual intake and exhaust manifolds made. I just saw this and it’s interesting. I have a good dual intake but no exhaust. 

I may have the exhaust manifolds for a 1941 large series engine. Will try to remember to look tomorrow. Remind me at pphillips922@gmail.com

On 12/13/2021 at 11:21 PM, BobPilkie said:

Hi Bob here in Edmonton Alberta did you manage to get dual intake and exhaust manifolds made. I just saw this and it’s interesting. I have a good dual intake but no exhaust. 

The cost of having new manifolds cast and machined was just too great. I ended up making my own tubular exhaust manifolds instead and they work extremely well:

HeadersMounted2.jpg.e37d06f0328b0e556186b9a83b5cb2ba.jpg  3-16-19no8.jpg.56fdc5f925a733c72874578e6223ae89.jpg

• Like 3