Someone has been reading my Antique Automobile magazine before me....

keiser31

Is it my imagination or has someone at the post office been reading my Antique Automobile magazine before me? This is how I received it today....with the address page inside and a rubber band around the outside. Did the AACA stop putting a clear wrapper around their magazine? Do I have to have a little talk with my postman? We have a P.O. box, so it MUST have been a curious postal worker....

Picture 20005.jpg

What size PO Box do you  have?  If it is one of the small ones they may have difficulty trying to put it in the box without damaging it if the outside wrapper and heavy paper insert are in place. I had to get a larger box to prevent damage to business mail,

1 hour ago, vermontboy said:

What size PO Box do you  have?  If it is one of the small ones they may have difficulty trying to put it in the box without damaging it if the outside wrapper and heavy paper insert are in place. I had to get a larger box to prevent damage to business mail,

Medium size box and NEVER had the wrapper ruined/removed before now after MANY years of getting them.

Edited by keiser31
misspelled a word (see edit history)

I'm on it. I will keep you all informed in the following episode. Unfortunately, we will all have to wait 'til next month for the answer to this curious carmag caper....

Speaking as a retired rural mail carrier I can say that, more than likely your carrier or clerk (if you have a P.O. box) couldn't care any less about your magazine. No offense, but these people handle hundreds if not thousands of pieces of mail every day. They see it all. Playboys, Jerry Faldwell, National Geographic, Burpees seed, whatever. They just are not interested. It is just a piece of paper with an address on it . The cover may have been torn in route and the delivery employee just got rid of the plastic. Just be glad the magazine got to you in one piece. Zeke

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zeke01 said:

Speaking as a retired rural mail carrier I can say that, more than likely your carrier or clerk (if you have a P.O. box) couldn't care any less about your magazine. No offense, but these people handle hundreds if not thousands of pieces of mail every day. They see it all. Playboys, Jerry Faldwell, National Geographic, Burpees seed, whatever. They just are not interested. It is just a piece of paper with an address on it . The cover may have been torn in route and the delivery employee just got rid of the plastic. Just be glad the magazine got to you in one piece. Zeke

Not too worried about it, really. Just wondered if the plastic cover was there like it used to be. I don't know about the rest of you, but I for one, think that the plastic cover is quite difficult to tear through. As long as nobody reads the words off of the pages before I get it, it's fine. It has just never happened before.

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

9 minutes ago, zipdang said:

in my VERY small town, the postmaster years ago (now retired and a great guy) would say things like: "I'm not snooping or anything, but you received such-and-such today and..." Made me think of Mayberry.

Well, Phoenix, Oregon is just about like Mayberry. VERY small and everyone knows what everyone else is up to.

20 minutes ago, keiser31 said:

Well, Phoenix, Oregon is just about like Mayberry. VERY small and everyone knows what everyone else is up to.

I Google Phoenix Oregon to see where it is and I would say you are correct on the size of it. Centennial Golf club next door seems to be almost as big as Phoenix on Google map. So I guess in this case rather than saying the golf course is on the edge of town you can say the town is on the edge of the golf course.

-Many years ago my brother-in-law was a subscriber to Hemmings and his mag was always later than anyone else in the area. Seems like the RFD carrier was a latent old car guy. He often spoke of old car issues in the coffee shop which he could have only gotten from Hemmings. It was an accepted fact (read cheap) that he would not spend the money for any thing extra in his life style! Bob

18 hours ago, Joe in Canada said:

I Google Phoenix Oregon to see where it is and I would say you are correct on the size of it. Centennial Golf club next door seems to be almost as big as Phoenix on Google map. So I guess in this case rather than saying the golf course is on the edge of town you can say the town is on the edge of the golf course.

Google Radnor, Ohio. You don't even need to zoom out to see it all! The cemetery is about as big as the town and there is no place to buy gas, a gallon of milk, or even a can of pop. We do have the post office, though...

Speaking as a retired rural carrier and incurable car nut....my car guys on my route ALWAYS received top priority, A#1, red carpet, immediate delivery of anything car related. We all knew each other and often shared different publications amongst us. Zeke01 has likely nailed it. If I rec'd something for delivery and it was messed up, I just patched it up as good as possible and delivered it, sometimes with a written apology on behalf of the USPS.

Just reading it would be OK. That doesn't change the words or wear them out. It's the guys who have to lick or spit on their fingers every time they turn a page that can cause problems. You should have the corners of the pages examined for body fluids.

Do you subscribe to Playboy too?

Bernie

Guest AlCapone

My postman at the cottage is above board. He put a sticky note on the outside that says " great story on page 12 ' and guess what, I could not care less. I go to that page first!  Wayne

Several years ago I subscribed to a big city newspaper because the local papers carried almost no sports news or state news.  It was common for it to arrive anywhere from one to three days late and a couple of times a week it would never show up.  I finally gave up and cancelled the subscription.  I figured if the post master wanted to read a newspaper he could buy his own. 

• Like 1